Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2015 was built exactly one year ago, and hasn't been in for service in its 5000 miles (I do my own oil changes and tire swaps). Does anyone know if there are any ECM or TCM software updates that have come out in the last year, such that when I take it in for an alignment check, I can tell them to download the latest?

Our 2013 Pathfinder was getting TCM updates every few months...

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the car in for an alignment at 5000 miles, it needed it, I could tell because it cupped my summer and snow tires in that amount of mileage. It was off quite a bit.

Anyway, I asked them to check for any updates. There actually is a TCM (transmission control module) update since this car was built about a year ago. They downloaded it. It does change the personality a bit, I like it. It doesn't try to hang onto low RPMs as long, it quickly jumps to 4000+ RPM with the slightest throttle bump. I like that, it makes it feel more responsive. I can't tell any difference in shift quality.

Which brings me to a point of anger with the transmission programming. They put those horribly insulting steps in the range as you accelerate, intended to feel like geared transmission shifts because stupid people who don't understand CVTs couldn't get used to accelerating with the motor staying at a constant RPM. They have to feel a "shift". So, the whole point of a CVT, which is keeping the motor at an optimally efficient RPM is lost as the programming makes the RPMs jump around to imitate gears. Dumb, dumb, dumb, shame on you Nissan/Infiniti. It sucks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought the stair-step style CVT programming was limited to the SPORTS mode only. Or are u seeing it in the ECO/STANDARD modes as well?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my car, if I get on it, it definitely fakes shifts in regular mode, just as bad as in sport mode, but at a lower RPM. Just driving around, it's more muted.

I've never driven in ECO mode, so I don't know about it. But, if it did fake shifts in ECO, that would be the ultimate insult of Nissan playing to be green, but worrying more about sales than the environment. There is an optimal engine RPM for every speed and load condition. Assuming that their engineers and software guys got the variable RPM programming right to keep the motor in that efficiency sweet spot, then programming it to fake shifts puts the RPMs in the wrong place immediately before and after shifts.

Fortunately, I never have to drive the QX. And my wife whoe does, doesn't notice or care. I would like to meet a person who complained to Nissan that their QX felt slow because they couldn't feel a shift...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts