Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info regarding Carplay for qx60?

I bought my 2017 qx60 last may and was told by the dealership and Alex on Autos that Infiniti is working on it, yet 8 months later there's still absolutely no news, I'm just getting really frustrated. Toyota kept saying they have no plan to add Carplay, yet they have added it now; Infiniti kept saying they are working on it, but still no news...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see some new Nissan's coming with Carplay (2018 Nissan Rogue), but nothing on Infiniti. Even once announced, I find it unlikely existing systems will be upgraded and it will only be available on new vehicles.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Even the 2019 QX50 (new from the ground up) is missing carplay/android auto. I doubt you'll see it until the next major QX60 refresh (~2020).

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
If you think you're going to be able to add Carplay to your existing car, you will never be happy. That will never happen from Infiniti.

At some point in the future they will finally put it in some new cars. That won't be in any 2018 models, very unlikely in any 2019 models either. Its not in the new QX50 and that's currently Infiniti's tech tour de force.

We've tried convincing the engineers that despite Carplay being a POS, customers really, really think they want it, therefore we should offer it. Engineers being engineers, it took someone's boss' boss telling them to do it before it started. They wouldn't do it before because it isn't better than what they offer (it isn't), but again, we have to convince them to let the public have it and then figure it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think Infiniti will wait to try it on Nissan first and see how that is going to work for them before putting it in any Infiniti cars! They system has some glitches and bugs, so I think Infiniti don't want to deal with this risk and wait for other to fix it and make it perfect before they put it in their cars, just like Apple strategy but this one taking longer time haha, this is just my thoughts :)
My other car has it (2017 SXT Dodge Charger) and it's very helpful when you use Apple Maps as navigation, but like I said it's not 100% perfect yet.

I have a feeling that, the first infinti model is going to have the Car Play/Android Auto is the Q50 :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you think you're going to be able to add Carplay to your existing car, you will never be happy. That will never happen from Infiniti.

At some point in the future they will finally put it in some new cars. That won't be in any 2018 models, very unlikely in any 2019 models either. Its not in the new QX50 and that's currently Infiniti's tech tour de force.

We've tried convincing the engineers that despite Carplay being a POS, customers really, really think they want it, therefore we should offer it. Engineers being engineers, it took someone's boss' boss telling them to do it before it started. They wouldn't do it before because it isn't better than what they offer (it isn't), but again, we have to convince them to let the public have it and then figure it out.
So do you mean that Infiniti isn't working on it at all? Infiniti has jumped on the Carplay wagon since 2014 and has kept saying they are working on it, if they haven't started at all, that would be a pretty blatant lie.

Also afaik, every one of my friends who have Carplay and android auto uses it regularly, and even Toyota, who repeatedly claimed that they won't offer Carplay, has already it into their new Avalon. Carplay may have some issues and as far as navigation is concerned, it might not be better than some manufacturers' factory navigation, but it's certainly much better than what Infiniti has. Let's be honest, do you really think a navigation interface that's like 10 years old, extremely laggy and difficult to put address is by any means better than Carplay?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Infiniti is definitely working on it. And we'll definitely see it fairly soon. And don't get me wrong - I want Carplay and Android Auto to be available as much as anyone. I'm a huge tech fan-boy. My grousing and sarcasm are directed at both Infiniti and the people who think Carplay is going to solve all their car-related technophobe issues.

Right now, Carplay isn't ready for primetime, IMO. It is a very small sandbox they let you play in, and it doesn't offer what people think Carplay is going to do for them (screen/app mirroring so they can drive without "touching" their phone). I'll take Infiniti's built-in navi over Apple Maps at this point. It works everywhere, doesn't need a cell signal, and doesn't cost me money to keep it working in the car for the foreseeable future.

I use Waze almost exclusively as my navi app. When I can run waze on my car's screen, I'll be happy. I don't want to run videos on my car's screen, I don't need my banking app to work there, I just want decent navigation with real-time traffic updates (sorry Infiniti/XM - yours are not even close to real time, nor really usable), plus some music once in a while. That shouldn't be hard, but Apple hasn't delivered it yet. And Carplay is barely there.

Reactions: MarengoMac

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sinecure

I agree with you about Waze, it's the best Navi app ever and better than any car Navi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Infiniti is definitely working on it. And we'll definitely see it fairly soon. And don't get me wrong - I want Carplay and Android Auto to be available as much as anyone. I'm a huge tech fan-boy. My grousing and sarcasm are directed at both Infiniti and the people who think Carplay is going to solve all their car-related technophobe issues.

Right now, Carplay isn't ready for primetime, IMO. It is a very small sandbox they let you play in, and it doesn't offer what people think Carplay is going to do for them (screen/app mirroring so they can drive without "touching" their phone). I'll take Infiniti's built-in navi over Apple Maps at this point. It works everywhere, doesn't need a cell signal, and doesn't cost me money to keep it working in the car for the foreseeable future.

I use Waze almost exclusively as my navi app. When I can run waze on my car's screen, I'll be happy. I don't want to run videos on my car's screen, I don't need my banking app to work there, I just want decent navigation with real-time traffic updates (sorry Infiniti/XM - yours are not even close to real time, nor really usable), plus some music once in a while. That shouldn't be hard, but Apple hasn't delivered it yet. And Carplay is barely there.
I totally agree with you about Waze. Honestly, since Infiniti's system is already Android based, it would be great if they can offer Waze (or maybe google maps) as a built-in app.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
FWIW, I was at a special event a month ago for top salespeople from around the country. It was the initial intro to the new QX50. We all made a stink about Carplay. They know now and they're trying to get it to us asap. Living in silicon valley, I could have told you this was going to happen two years ago. But the engineers are nerds who live in TN and Japan and think they know more than us stupid salespeople (in some ways, they're right). They've gotten the message now and we'll see it soon enough. Hopefully Carplay and AA will have evolved enough by then to actually be as useful/usable as clients hope it will be now.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Waze is already available on Android Auto. Isn't it available on Apple Carplay?
Nope. Apple only lets you play in their own sandbox.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
This looks pretty interesting to me. Will have to look at it in more detail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on the VLine comment above, I ordered one for my 2014 QX60. I received the V2 on Friday and installed it that night. It has made me enjoy my vehicle all over again! I have an iPhone and enabled the Apple CarPlay and it works fantastic! In the fall when iOS 12 launches, Waze and Google Maps are supposed to be enabled. I had a coupon code and was able to get it for $550, and honestly it was worth the money.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm interested in seeing it in action. I would be interested on my end for an Android version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was able to get the VLine 2 installed and have to say I'm very pleased with it. The Apple CarPlay is awesome. The only thing that doesn't work now is the factory USB, but since I'm using the VLine I don't really care. If you want to see it in action, do a Google search for VLine 2 2014 Infiniti QX60. I posted it on YouTube earlier today. I'll need to go back and reshoot the video though. I was watching my phone while recording and trying to hit buttons which didn't work very well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here is the link
https://youtu.be/aOjvNEjgVpM

Interesting stuff. But I need something Android friendly. Hmmm.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts