Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like what you have? I just bought a '17 QX60, and would love to have CarPlay integration...

·
Registered
2019 QX60
6 Posts
I have the same question here, debating between Naviks and Unavi. Any insights on these two products?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same question here, debating between Naviks and Unavi. Any insights on these two products?
Not really. :( Besides those two I found GTACarKits, which claims that their system supports wireless carplay. Also, their youtube video of installation is better than unavi's (it's usefully narrated, and the guy doing the filming does not record the backside of the guy putting things together for five minutes :) ). GTACarKits requires drilling a hole into the armrest to pull some cables through. Unavi, allegedly, does not. But since the last five minutes of putting things back in place in Unavi's video are obstructed by the guy's back, it's impossible to say what he actually does during that time. GTACarKits promises that touchscreen works for carplay (this seems kinda important). Naviks explicitly says that touchscreen does not work, and you have to use the knob to navigate UI. Unavi does not appear to claim anything about touchscreen, and I couldn't say for sure from their install video. I couldn't find any decent reviews for any of the systems. :(

My main fear with these things is that they are put together by, like, three guys in a garage. Who physically don't have capacity to debug them. So what is probably happening, is that the integration mostly works. But the remaining bugs kill the experience dead. And there does not appear to be a way to find out apart from plonking $550-650 for the kit, and then spending half a day installing it.

·
Registered
2019 QX60
23 Posts
Not really. :( Besides those two I found GTACarKits, which claims that their system supports wireless carplay. Also, their youtube video of installation is better than unavi's (it's usefully narrated, and the guy doing the filming does not record the backside of the guy putting things together for five minutes :) ). GTACarKits requires drilling a hole into the armrest to pull some cables through. Unavi, allegedly, does not. But since the last five minutes of putting things back in place in Unavi's video are obstructed by the guy's back, it's impossible to say what he actually does during that time. GTACarKits promises that touchscreen works for carplay (this seems kinda important). Naviks explicitly says that touchscreen does not work, and you have to use the knob to navigate UI. Unavi does not appear to claim anything about touchscreen, and I couldn't say for sure from their install video. I couldn't find any decent reviews for any of the systems. :(

My main fear with these things is that they are put together by, like, three guys in a garage. Who physically don't have capacity to debug them. So what is probably happening, is that the integration mostly works. But the remaining bugs kill the experience dead. And there does not appear to be a way to find out apart from plonking $550-650 for the kit, and then spending half a day installing it.
I agree with you, I would not want any holes drilled to complete the install on my vehicle. I was looking at the GTACarkits site and the QX60 is required to have Navigation with the SD card slot in the armrest. Mine doesn't have Nav and they also add a mic, i think unavi unit uses the cars mic for operation. I was looking at other reviews on the forum and found the below thread about the touchscreen for unavi. Any news on Carplay?
I would seem to trust Unavi since they are Infiniti certified and any bugs have been worked out for them to retain the certification. I'm really thinking about jumping the gun with unavi since NAviks you lose touchscreen control and GTAcarkits you have to have navigation and added ugly mic located who knows where. Good luck with your search!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you, I would not want any holes drilled to complete the install on my vehicle. I was looking at the GTACarkits site and the QX60 is required to have Navigation with the SD card slot in the armrest. Mine doesn't have Nav and they also add a mic, i think unavi unit uses the cars mic for operation. I was looking at other reviews on the forum and found the below thread about the touchscreen for unavi. Any news on Carplay?
I would seem to trust Unavi since they are Infiniti certified and any bugs have been worked out for them to retain the certification. I'm really thinking about jumping the gun with unavi since NAviks you lose touchscreen control and GTAcarkits you have to have navigation and added ugly mic located who knows where. Good luck with your search!!
Thanks for the link! "Sometimes I have to stop and reboot the car" is the kind of issue I was talking about. If you do end up installing unavi, would you mind reporting back on your impressions?

·
Registered
2019 QX60
6 Posts
Thanks for the link! "Sometimes I have to stop and reboot the car" is the kind of issue I was talking about. If you do end up installing unavi, would you mind reporting back on your impressions?
I will keep you updated; I have heard that if you don't use an original AppLe cable or Android cable it causes data transmission issues that would cause the freezing. The gas station cables are good for charging and not much else. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will keep you updated; I have heard that if you don't use an original AppLe cable or Android cable it causes data transmission issues that would cause the freezing. The gas station cables are good for charging and not much else. Stay tuned...
Thanks! (The point about gas station cables is interesting -- if they are bad (and apple does put a computer into theirs), I'd expect them to not work at all for any kind of data transfer, as opposed to mostly working and only causing freezes from time to time)

·
Registered
2019 QX60
6 Posts
Yeah, I've been hearing a lot about when people update their phones the Bluetooth stops working. I've heard this on older Hyundai cars as well. Hopefully you can figure it out. Maybe you can take it to the Infiniti dealer and they might have a software update or a solution for you. Have a great day!!

·
Registered
2019 QX60
23 Posts
I just wanted to update the group on my progress, went ahead and did the install with Unavi. I took about 3 hours including breaks and going slowly. It's actually quite easy to do.
I really love how unavi uses the existing microphone for voice controls and not an ugly add on mic. The OEM integration is seamless, I had a few questions during the install and they have really reliable tech support that guided me through my issues. I'm very pleased with it.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update: just installed unavi, not even put all the pieces back in yet. :) impressions:
1. It works, neat!
2. A BEAR to install. I am not very handy, and it took me more than a day to install. If you are not very brave — seek professional help. :)

Things that were hard for me:
  • disassembling the center console trim. I couldn’t pry those panels out for the life of me. What finally worked was getting a metal hook, and yanking at each side. Not pulling. Yanking rather hard.
  • fishing the cables into the passenger footwell. The place is cramped, and you can’t see anything. The final pathway is quite narrow, so pay attention to how the cables are bundled in the install manual — if you bundle wrong, they just won’t fit through. What helped is pulling the head unit as far out as possible (took off the gear shifter knob to have more space). Then I could stick my left hand quite deep into the console and feel my way through.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What year is your QX?

BTW, congratulations, I've been wanting android auto integration ever since I first heard about it. Glad you pulled the trigger and it worked out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What year is your QX?

BTW, congratulations, I've been wanting android auto integration ever since I first heard about it. Glad you pulled the trigger and it worked out.
‘17, thanks! (I just got it, and decided that AC vent phone holders that I used in my older cars are too janky, so had to do the deed :) ).

I actually heard that android auto is better than CarPlay… need to try it out, while I am at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,
I’m thinking about going with unavi too. I wanted to ask if you adjust the volume does the volume indicator show as oem?

I know naviks for $540 does show volume indicator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,
I’m thinking about going with unavi too. I wanted to ask if you adjust the volume does the volume indicator show as oem?

I know naviks for $540 does show volume indicator.
If you switch the OEM stereo to AUX input, the unavi’s sound plays through car speakers, and the car’s volume knob works. Otherwise unavi’s sound goes through it’s own little dinky speaker you install, and the volume of that is controlled through an options menu in unavi UI. I do not believe there is software integration between unavi and the OEM stereo for sound

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you switch the OEM stereo to AUX input, the unavi’s sound plays through car speakers, and the car’s volume knob works. Otherwise unavi’s sound goes through it’s own little dinky speaker you install, and the volume of that is controlled through an options menu in unavi UI. I do not believe there is software integration between unavi and the OEM stereo for sound
Thank you pcwa26 for the reply. So if unavi uses Aux car speaker audio and when I would adjust the volume knob the volume indicator technical should show on the screen. Correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you pcwa26 for the reply. So if unavi uses Aux car speaker audio and when I would adjust the volume knob the volume indicator technical should show on the screen. Correct me if I’m wrong.
AFAIR you don’t see the indication of volume when CarPlay is on screen — it takes over the entire screen. If you switch back to the OEM UI, then, yes volume indication works normally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts