Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 "QX60" (JX35) and whenever the truck warms up it smell sof coolant / antifreeze outside the car. The hotter the truck gets, the more it smells... I took it into the dealership and they agreed they could smell it, but they said they couldn't find a leak?

Super embarrassing.... This is my first and likely only Infiniti purchase, given this + the CVT transmission judder....

Anyone found the cause of the burning coolant smell?

·
Registered
199 Posts
How many miles do you have on yours? When they get shipped, Infiniti puts a protectant on the engine so that salt does not corrode anything. It will smell like this for about 500 miles. Other than that, I am not sure what it could be without having it here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I have the same issue it uses coolant and I get a smell when it warms up .Dealer said they could not find it and tried to tell me I was looking at the wrong bottle .I've Ben a certified auto tech for over 34 years I know what I'm looking at and smell .I just made a appointment for Tuesday for that and other issues as far as rear bearing noise sun visors and recalls will repost after my visit

·
Registered
104 Posts
Having this same issue with my 2015 with 20K. Dealer says that Infiniti / Nissan are aware of the issue, but have no resolution? Coolant level is fine, so is temp, so I guess i'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Having this same issue with my 2015 with 20K. Dealer says that Infiniti / Nissan are aware of the issue, but have no resolution? Coolant level is fine, so is temp, so I guess i'm not too concerned.

same exact situation with me. Also 2015, only a few more miles than yours. I notice a distinct smell of warm coolant very plainly when I walk past the front of my car, especially now that warmer weather is (finally) here. I am acutely aware of the smell because we just had a water pump go out on our minivan so I have smelled A LOT of coolant lately LOL but same for me, no leaks, no temp issues, levels in reservoir seem constant, so nothing I am overly worried about. I think it may be a quirk of the car, though not sure why

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue with my 2015 that has 105k km on it. Only after running it for two hours and little leakage behind the front tires at the center of the vehicle

·
Registered
48 Posts
The overflow tank is not pressure tight, it holds the the hot expanded coolant until the engine cools down, then the rad cap allows the natural vacuum to suck the coolant back from the overflow tank. When the radiator cap 'burps' some hot coolant to overflow tank, you will get a bit of smell.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So should I worry about it? Or just check periodically for the coolant level?
Check the coolant level 3x per year, it shouldn't need more attention. You can glance at the coolant expansion tank when you top up the washer fluid or check the engine oil level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts