Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I shut the garage door on the antenna of my qx 60 while backing out. :mad: The plastic cover flew off and has a small crack on it. The unit on the top of the vehicle is bent, but working. Any suggestions about what to do? Can I replace the antenna myself? Can I simply secure the plastic cover again? Can someone provide instructions on how to do so correctly? Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. I think can order the replacement and install it. The actual antenna is somewhere under the latest snowfall and I am unable to locate it. Any other advice or direction is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stopped in at my Infiniti dealership and they said they would have to replace the entire exterior antenna. This would include removing the headliner. From the parts pieces I didn't think that would be necessary. Any ideas? If I have to pull out the rear headliner I think I am out of my depth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dealership will always go overboard trying to fix something simple - so I have to ask, if radio and XM work fine, why bother fixing at all? Just do something simple to hide the fact that it's busted...

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
If it is working, and you can just snap a new cover on, you should be OK. Replacing the antenna whip is an easy thing. If it isn't working properly, I'm afraid your dealership wasn't lying about the headliner thing. And removing the headliner is a major PITA.

·
Registered
210 Posts
they sell the shark fin antenna pretty much everywhere

i didn't know you had to access it from underneath. i thought the bolt was always from the top.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are there really any other options for antennae other than the stock or the shark fin. Just wondering what all the options are before I buy something and then find out later there was something that I would want more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are there really any other options for antennae other than the stock or the shark fin. Just wondering what all the options are before I buy something and then find out later there was something that I would want more.
the answer to that is yes there are, my acura TL is a small round box which I really like. But the question is what might you be interested in?

There are also different types of sharkfins.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I think some new audio headunits have integrated antenna's behind them so there isn't the need for the traditional antenna.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I thought it was integrated to the rear window? I'd think that the head units being surrounded by metal would not have great reception. But that's rather moot as it's not an option for the JX

·
Registered
295 Posts
Im not sure where it is on the JX/QX60.

What I have seen are radio scanner antenna's that get crazy range and reception, might be something for someone to look into who wants something better, they don't always sound good though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts