Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm kind of between a rock and a hard spot. I bought a used 2015 low miles QX60 CPO from a dealership that is 350 miles from where I live. Could not find what I was looking for near me unfortunately.

About a week after I got it home, we were driving next to another one and noticed they had an antenna...we didn't have one. So got up there and looked and sure enough it looked as if one had broken off. So I contacted the dealership I bought from and told them and they said no problem they will send me an antenna. They did just that! So when my husband went to put it on, first trying to remove the other one, he realized he can't do it. Much more to it then just trying to get out the broke piece. So I contacted my local Infiniti dealership and told them my problem. They informed me it was not covered by warranty because it broke and was not a defect. I asked them how much to fix and they informed they would have to remove the headliner and it could cost as much as $800!! Yikes!!

My radio works. Some times I do get interference but not sure it is caused from the antenna or not.

Has anyone had this issue with their antenna? Should I take it back to the dealership I bought it from which is 350 miles away and tell them I want it fixed?

I looked at the CPO paper work and there is a check mark by "antenna".

Not sure how to handle this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Post pictures so we can see the damage.

I'm not sure if the 2015 comes with shark fin antennas. If it's like the prior years, you have the antenna base and then the stalk. If that's what you got, and depending on the damage, you might be able to resolve it by installing a functional shark fin antenna and connecting that to the base. I replaced my antenna with a shark fin antenna and it looks great (in my opinion) and has retained radio functionality with no difference as far as I can tell. That might work as a solution to you, again, depending.

So post a couple of pics!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The antenna simply screws into the housing. Is it missing or is the screw broken off in the housing?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Post pictures so we can see the damage.

I'm not sure if the 2015 comes with shark fin antennas. If it's like the prior years, you have the antenna base and then the stalk. If that's what you got, and depending on the damage, you might be able to resolve it by installing a functional shark fin antenna and connecting that to the base. I replaced my antenna with a shark fin antenna and it looks great (in my opinion) and has retained radio functionality with no difference as far as I can tell. That might work as a solution to you, again, depending.

So post a couple of pics!
I'm interested in changing my 2013 antenna to a shark-fin antenna. How did you do it Nemo? Where did you get the part from?

·
Registered
250 Posts
It was super easy, unscrew the long end of the antenna, screw in the connector from the shark fin antenna to the same thread, and position the shark fin antenna over the old base. It's held in place with 3M tape. It's been there for a few weeks and through several car washes with no problem. Seems solidly in place.

See here for pic:

http://www.infinitiqx60.org/forum/2013-infiniti-qx60-pictures/88170-couple-my-2014-baby.html

And this is the link I ordered from:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072DXTH3S

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
okla:

This is not an uncommon problem. Car washes have a bad habit of breaking off the antennas on the older QX60's. It happens with some frequency. Your challenge is getting the small screw-in base out of the receiver. If you look at the new antenna they sent you, you'll be able to tell the part that broke off and is still stuck in there. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to grab the little screw-in part that's stuck. If you can grasp it with a little vice-grip or other tool, it should unscrew. If you can't, you have a couple options. One is to use a tool for getting stripped or broken screws out. If you have one, this should work. If that doesn't work, the option is to replace the whole assembly. This does involve removing the headliner as they indicated. I'd try the vice grip route for now. If that doesn't work, make a stink with the dealership where you bought it, let them know you're going to have to drive 300 miles to have them fix something they should have caught at CPO inspection, and see what they say. I doubt they want a bad yelp review pointing out they missed something that was their responsibility. What you're asking them to fix is a PITA, but its still their responsibility if you received a CPO car like this. If I worked at the more local dealer, I'd probably have told you the same thing - it isn't their job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts