Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a former Honda pilot owner who now has a 2016 QX 60 for about six months now .
I live in the central New Jersey area and ventured out shortly after the nor'easter that hit early March .
My QX 60 has all-wheel-drive but was so unstable in even just a few inches of snow at 30 mph that I was almost scared to drive it . I had the mode selector in snow option but even taking any type of curve at just 20 mph I found the vehicle wanting to slide off diagonally into a snowbank .
I don't know if there's a malfunction in the all-wheel-drive engaging but after 4 explorers and a 2009 Honda pilot I could not be more disappointed

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm a former Honda pilot owner who now has a 2016 QX 60 for about six months now .
I live in the central New Jersey area and ventured out shortly after the nor'easter that hit early March .
My QX 60 has all-wheel-drive but was so unstable in even just a few inches of snow at 30 mph that I was almost scared to drive it . I had the mode selector in snow option but even taking any type of curve at just 20 mph I found the vehicle wanting to slide off diagonally into a snowbank .
I don't know if there's a malfunction in the all-wheel-drive engaging but after 4 explorers and a 2009 Honda pilot I could not be more disappointed
What you're describing - taking a curve on a snowy road - has little to do with the drivetrain and much more to do with the tires. What kind of tires did your car come with? Some all season tires are better than others in the snow, but none will match a set of quality winter tires. I'm in MA and the number of people I see flying around turns on a snowy road thinking they're invincible just because they drive an SUV is scary. In that situation, I would rather be in RWD sports car with dedicated winter tires than an SUV with all seasons (and I know this from personal experience).

With this said, some SUVs are, indeed, better than others all things being equal, in the snow. For example, I also have a 2013 VW Touareg that is superior to my (now departed) QX60 in the snow, with the same set of tires. The QX60, as a vehicle, is about average in this regard. Though, come to think of it, I think that it is better in the snow than a 2006 Pilot my parents used to have so your QX60 may have come with a set of tires that just aren't great in the snow. I would check Tirerack's reviews to see what others say about your tires' snow performance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts