Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't like the idea of cutting the bumper to fit the factory hitch, so installed a Drawtight unit from Etrailer. $105 and super easy to install. 4 bolts removed/4 bolts installed. Think it looks good. Will only be used for our bike rack so did not install any electrical hookups. Has a 5 star rating with 102 reviews.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Looks good. It's something I'm thinking of since my wife wants to get back into biking and a bike rack seems like a good idea. I have zero boats and zero interest in boats or trailers so don't see myself needing the electrical either. $105 you say? Hmmm.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks good. I need the hitch for same purpose, and even so, I won't be using it much so getting a factory unit install will be a complete waste. Though I am wondering if this is going to interfere with motion activated lift gate?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Looks good. I need the hitch for same purpose, and even so, I won't be using it much so getting a factory unit install will be a complete waste. Though I am wondering if this is going to interfere with motion activated lift gate?
I asked this question of one of our techs yesterday. Answer is absolutely yes. I don't know if the feature will work at all with an aftermarket hitch. But on the one Infiniti sells and we install, installation requires repositioning the sensors for the rockette kick open feature. It makes installation at dealership quite a bit more expensive than it was before.

I'll be interested to hear about experiences with aftermarket hitches. I think if I were looking for a cheap, bikes-only solution, I'd go aftermarket too. If I had a car with tech, I'd just say F it and not use that feature.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sinecure, thank you for your valuable feedback and checking with the tech team. It is funny that when I was buying the vehicle the motion activated lift gate was not even remotely on my desired option list, but in last size months I have come to appreciate. It comes handy all the time. With that said it is possible to live without it if it will cost me upward of double carpayment to get it installed. I would be more worried about disabling BCI and camera obstructions with bikes on carrier than Liftgate.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
OK, so which one of you came in to our shop and argued with the service advisor over what I'd posted above? Seriously, we had a client tell the service advisor that he's wrong because the customer read something contradictory online. Apparently, you can't just reposition the sensor - you have to replace it with a different one. I guess I slightly misspoke above. But a customer today told our service advisor that according to a moderator of the QX60 forum (me, apparently), he shouldn't have to buy a new sensor, it can just be repositioned. This was entirely based on my post above, as far as I can tell. But the service advisor came away feeling like the customer accused him of lying. Service advisor was also surprised to learn that I'm a moderator of the forum, but that's a different discussion.

All this was funny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Didn't like the idea of cutting the bumper to fit the factory hitch, so installed a Drawtight unit from Etrailer. $105 and super easy to install. 4 bolts removed/4 bolts installed. Think it looks good. Will only be used for our bike rack so did not install any electrical hookups. Has a 5 star rating with 102 reviews.
Can you take a picture of the underside? I'm gonna check to see if your install would block the sensor or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts