Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body have a recommendation on an aftermarket DVD entertainment system (including cost) that can be installed piggyback on the current headrest?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Infiniti has a dealer-installed option that you can add. Price is similar to that of the factory one, but you have to pay labor for installation. It is a slightly different system than the factory one. It has individual DVD players in each headrest.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You have three options.

The Infiniti dealer installed theater system, which would be the closest thing to the factory package. Pro is it has likely passed DOT crash testing (ie, it doesn't negatively impact whiplash protection.) and it will be compatible with your QX sound system. Negative is this is your most expensive option.

Your other choice is aftermarket. You can get aftermarket headrest DVD players installed at Best Buy. Just do a google search for prices and consumer ratings. You can get these installed for less than $1000, and they will look similar to the factory system. Not sure how they would impact whiplash protection.

Your cheapest option is to buy portable DVD players that Hang on the seat back. Phillips has an OK system, but you will have to deal with visible wires. You can get these at Best Buy or Target for less than $200.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess another option is simply 2 I-pads at the going rate.

Technology is changing quickly here. For instance, most of our discs are Blu Ray. Does the factory or dealer DVD system play them?

Don't invest too much money in an expensive and immediately obsolete system.

Bill

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Won't play blueray. None of the Infiniti options play blueray.

If it were me, I'd buy two iPads.

·
Registered
410 Posts
if someone has a playstation 3, is it possible that it can be hooked up to the system as a blueray player?
If the play station 3 has RCA video/sound out jacks (yellow for video, red and white for left and right two channel stereo), then yes you can, but it will be standard definition, not high def. You'd have to power the play station with the AC power jack.

·
Registered
136 Posts
two ipads! way more useful as you can take it on the go with you
True ... and you can get velcro pads or something to attach it to the back of the seats... it is probably less of a hassle to set up for your kids than the factory system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use 3 iPads, 1 Nexus 7 and a RavPower Filehub that streams movies wirelessly to all my devices (Amazon.com: [5-in-1] RAVPower® FileHub Wireless SD Card Reader with 3000mAh Backup Battery, Wireless Mobile Storage Media Sharing, WLAN Hot Spot & NAS File Server: Computers & Accessories).

Everyone now watches whatever they want from the SD Card on the RavPower Filehub. A very good solution in my opinion. All my BluRays are converted to .mkv or .mp4 formats and the app that you download for the Filehub plays them without any issues simultaneously.

So both kids watching 2 different movies, in-laws watching 2 different movies and peace and solitude for the front seat people :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I may look to drop theater package, but need to find how is the experience been for those opted for tablet based entertainment? While I like the option of having multiple screens (tablets) playing choice of content but I wonder how messy is the setup in terms of charging cables running across the vehicle, everyone with ear plugs specially under 5 year old?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am a newbie, I am not permitted to post links. If you go aliexpress.com and search for car tablet holder you will see some really nice options that allow you to mount and unmount easily. The wireless Nas or network attached storage just plugs into the USB in the glove box. The setup should be wireless and hidden. The new wireless hub is ravpower filehub plus. Just stick a USB flash drive into it. When I have enough post, I will include links and pics

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the link. Those seat mount tablet holders look good. How do you charge/power the tablets? To my knowledge there is only one USB in the 2nd row and there are 2 in 3rd row right?

In light of recent Samsung Galaxy Note battery fire/explosion issues, I am little leery of leaving something like RavPower or another battery based WiFI unit in the car, especially in summer. I 'll research if there is another option with similar features but without battery, that can get power through USB, 12V or 120V options that QX60 offers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts