Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the following happen to me twice now - wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Driving on freeway, 70mph with cruise set. Driving in the left lane, no cars within 10 car lengths in front of me. Suddenly, the car quickly slows down as if someone switched lanes in front of me. Quite dangerous, and luckily no one was right on my tail to rear-end me.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what the cause might be? I'll be bringing it into the dealer soon to get it checked out, but wanted to see if this was experienced by anyone else.

·
Super Moderator
563 Posts
This is the first we've heard of this issue on this and the Infinitijxforum.com. I use mine all the time and have never had that problem. I'm wondering if your sensors picked up something on the side of the road. You might want to contact the service department.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This has happened on another car forum I frequent for a different model vehicle to maybe 2 people that had 'radar cruise' in their car. It does happen to some, but quite infrequently. I've had it in 4 cars now and it has never happened to me personally. I think it's just something with the technology if certain conditions are met/present. I'd say keep using it and see what happens as a trip to the dealership for this will probably result in your lost time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Two possible explanations, besides something wrong with the system:

- could be an obstruction on the lens where the system is housed. Hitting a butterfly or something like that can do this. It only has to be intermittent, too (meaning it fell off a short time later).

- the car in front was rapidly slowing down. These systems work on differential speeds. So if the difference in speed drastically changes, you get a drastic change in speed in your car. There is hysteresis in this do a small slowdown in the lead car causes a larger slowdown in yous and a longer recovery time in yous, as well.

But, it could also be a problem with the system. I once had mine, for no apparent reason, throw an error while it was engaged. A few minutes later, it was working, again, and no issues since.

Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
313 Posts
^^ Is it sonar or radar? I would think Radar, that's what other cruise control systems use, that or laser I think. From what I read even the back up collision system uses radar in the rear bumper 'looking' for car that may be coming at you while backing out of a spot/driveway/etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
it could even be software related. So, if you do go through what's listed above and cancel out what it can be that's within your power to work out and you still experience problems, then you might as well stop by the dealer to see what they can do about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts