Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone...

I've been lurking for a few months, and decided that this forum was the "best" one of the few that are out there. It's filled with courteous, educated, and savvy users, so hence my decision to be part of your family. :nerd:

That being said, I'm about 2 days away from closing a deal on a 2015 QX60. I would have been interested in a 2016, but the deals on the outgoing model, paired with just how superb my dealership has been to work with, made me decide on a 2015. It was a no brainer.

My model will be loaded with everything (Premium, P-Plus, Deluxe Touring, Theater, and Tech), and will be Black Obsidian with Java. I was searching high and low for this combo, and I lucked out...my 2nd choice was Graphite Shadow with Java, but felt like the black with Java combo just looked more exquisite and gave it more "pop".

The vehicle has been "reserved" for me, and is awaiting arrival at my pseudo-local dealership. I also ordered the complete PPF (Paint Protection Film) package as part of the deal, so they also have to finish the install on that before pick up. I hope to get everything on 12/23, knock on wood.

My selection of the QX60 spanned a few months... I currently own a 2012 Acura TSX S.E. and will be trading that in for "Quincy" >:D. Acura has been good for most part, but I was ready for something new, but more so because my 2 boys are growing up, and will be in sports soon. So I needed a larger vehicle to transport them to and from events/activities. My wife and I also want to take our family on long vacations. Now with this QX60, a great destination is but a drive away.

The other options we considered (heavily) were the Volvo XC90, Platinum Toyota Highlander, Mazda CX9, and used versions of the QX60. The Volvo came REALLY close. But at a $54k starting msrp, not even having a heated steering wheel or worse, a homelink universal garage door opener was a deal breaker for me. At a higher starting point than the QX60 with none of those features? Give me a break. The Highlander felt like an appliance. I utterly refused to own one (wifey liked it though). The Mazda CX9 though it drove well, just felt "cheap" to me. Used QX60's were also considered, but as I stated earlier, the deals on the new ones made it a simple choice.

I also did my research on the CVT/tranny issues that seem to plague this vehicle. I'm not new to forums or vehicles in general. I have owned plenty. I also currently own a highly modded 700hp Mustang (that I love and built myself), so vehicle work is nothing new to me. I also understand that forums are generally a place where consumers vent their frustrations, rather than sing their praises. I know that Infiniti has worked to resolve those issues, so the 2015 and later builds have gotten far better. I also spoke with 2 semi-local dealerships (nothing immediately in my city) about the issue, and they are comfortable with the issue and know what's going on - have replaced CVT's, also applied SW updates, etc.... so I feel comfortable in knowing that they will even come and pick up the vehicle from my house, drop me off a loaner, then drop it back off to me once the repair is done. So all in all, I/we made the decision to go forward anyways. Besides, I have owned a G35 coupe, 370Z, and an Altima in the past, and always loved Nissans/Infinitis.

We feel that the QX60 offered the BEST combination of quality, luxury, room/space, amenities, looks, and driving feel of ANY of the aforementioned competitors. Period. Once we drove it, it was GAME OVER. We can't wait to get in it. There's a chance it will get delayed to 12/26 (hoping not), but a 12/23 arrival would be a phenomenal gift to me and my family.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this blurb. I look forward to the new vehicle and also to being a part of this great forum.

p.s. can any black/java owners please post their pics?!?!?!?! I need something to get me by 2 to 4 days. LOL. :nerd:

thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! I am certainly looking forward to your participation.
Welcome and congrats.
Many thanks! I just talked to my dealership yesterday, and there is a strong chance it will be delayed from a 12/23 to a 12/26, due to a late truck pickup from another dealership (dealer trade) :(

I am still keeping fingers crossed that I can still get it tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Meanwhile, no other black/java owners out there willing to chime in and console me? lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats. I picked up mine Grey/Black last Sunday with premium and driver assistance packages here in Canada.
I was choosing between MDX, New Honda Pilot and QX60 :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on purchase.
I've a 2014 black/black. Great family utility - taking kids to their sports - in my case basketball and tennis. Perfect for our many trips to mountains for skiing and long road trips!
Curious you did not include Acura MDX in your mix.
Congrats. I picked up mine Grey/Black last Sunday with premium and driver assistance packages here in Canada.
I was choosing between MDX, New Honda Pilot and QX60 :)
Thanks folks! How do you like it as a family hauling vehicle? Years ago, we had a Honda Odyssey when the kids were babies. I suffered through that emotionally for about 3 years. I sold it to a family member. I couldn't take it anymore LOL.

Also, how do you like the Driver Assistance? This is the first time I will have a vehicle with those features. I heard that the 2015's don't have an integrated turn signal? I guess I didn't realize that. I also am surprised that at this price point, they don't come with DRL's. :eek:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Also, how do you like the Driver Assistance? This is the first time I will have a vehicle with those features.

The driver's assist is great on a long trip. However, it is very intrusive in stop and go traffic. It can create a very non-linear feel, as it won't let you get to close to the car in front of you. If you're not braking hard enough, it will do it for you. If you're trying to accelerate and the car in front of you is too close, it will hold you back. It will also cause the brakes to wear fast if you use it all the time.

Fortunately, there is a button on the steering wheel you press to turn it on/off. Default at start-up is off. Make sure your salesman shows you the feature, and you try it out for yourself. The back-up collision avoidance (BCA) is an awesome feature, as is the all around monitor. BCA will default to on.

I heard that the 2015's don't have an integrated turn signal? I guess I didn't realize that. I also am surprised that at this price point, they don't come with DRL's. :eek:
First world problems...;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The driver's assist is great on a long trip. However, it is very intrusive in stop and go traffic. It can create a very non-linear feel, as it won't let you get to close to the car in front of you. If you're not braking hard enough, it will do it for you. If you're trying to accelerate and the car in front of you is too close, it will hold you back. It will also cause the brakes to wear fast if you use it all the time.

Fortunately, there is a button on the steering wheel you press to turn it on/off. Default at start-up is off. Make sure your salesman shows you the feature, and you try it out for yourself. The back-up collision avoidance (BCA) is an awesome feature, as is the all around monitor. BCA will default to on.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I plan on leaving the Driver Assist off for the most part. I do want the Blind Spot on all the time. The Lane Departure Warning I want off in the city/daily driving, then on during highway jaunts.

First world problems...;)
Indeed it is...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome, you should be a great addition to the forum with all your vehicle knowledge.
I purchased the Graphite Shadow 2015 2 months ago, and love it. When I park it and walk away I find myself looking back and saying "Man that is a sweet looking SUV".

This is my first experience with CVT and I sure like it. Don't really enjoy riding in the wife's Lexus anymore :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATES! from 12/23-ish :)

So on, 12/23, I got a chance to visit the dealership to look at "Quincy" :banana: It arrived that morning, so they were getting it ready to go into full prep and clear bra install. I used this chance to drop off the Acura (Tori) as well, so I didn't have to put miles on her, or heaven forbid have an accident happen. You know what's sad? I didn't really regret saying goodbye to Tori. She was now cramped, tight, and feeling old for my family needs. :dunno: ssssshhhh don't tell her I said that. LOL.

Firstly, I was greeted with this QX80, my next dream family vehicle. Good Lord... that thing is super plush. You guys ever sat in one? 90k. ugh.

Excited to be at an Infiniti dealership once again... been a while: They treat you so well there.

And here's that absolutely stunning QX80. I felt like I was on Pimp my Ride...

That is real, textured, and grained wood of some sort... God, it looked and felt so good.

So anyways... enough DREAMING. I was really here for the star of the show. I got a chance to meet Quincy for the very first time! Fresh off the truck! I caught her in the "Prep" area/department. I told them (as I did with Marilyn and any of our other vehicles). NO ONE REMOVES THE PLASTICS! I will! So I was laughing when my dealer/manager said, "Sir, are you sure? We've NEVER not removed any of the plastic before?" I assured him it was ok. LOL. Hilarious.

I actually lifted the plastic on one of the seats just to touch and feel it :jester:

I'll keep you guys updated, when I pick up the vehicle on 12/26.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sweet! Nothing better than unwrapping it like that for the first time.

Used to work at a BMW dealership, one of the things they had me do were Pre Delivery Inspections and this is exactly what i'd have to go through. Great experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man! Yeah the unwrapping is my favorite part! Hey it only happens once in a while. We can't wait till Saturday!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
12/26 - Delivery Day! Today was a momentous day for us. The family had a blast. Best part for me was seeing all the workers and customers there giving me the look of shock when they saw me detailing the vehicle AFTER they already detailed the vehicle, while on the showroom floor. LOL. I put a coat of Blackfire sealant on the paint and wheels. I guess I have different standards. :jester: :rofl: Peeling the plastic was fun too! 12 miles on the do upon delivery!!! Thoroughly enjoyed the drive home as well. This chronicle has come to and end. Now we're off making new memories with Quincy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was able to wash her inside the garage with ONR, so I took a few pics. She's still unbuffed. I won't be able to buff her till spring when it warms up. For now, she's just coated with Blackfire sealant. Ahhh, it feels GOOD to be back in a black car. Love it. Sorry, no sun pics...winter here, so what can you do :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts