Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I happened to end up at the Infiniti website for the InTouch service, and I saw one of the options was for a 2018 model. So I go around checking and lo and behold, we can already build 2018 model year QX60s. Imagine my surprise when the Theater Package (appears to have) remained the same, down to the CD/DVD player. Why is Infiniti so bent on staying behind the times? I don't even own a single DVD anymore, instead having moved entirely to Blu-ray and now 4K Blu-ray. Dodge Durangos have had Blu-ray players as far back as 2014 I think, and I'm sure other manufacturers offer it (Escalade has it as an option, but that's more a competitor for the QX80 I suppose). I was really hoping 2018 model years would be when Infiniti went with the flow...argh.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
IMO, any car with a built-in theater package is behind the times. Might as well have a VCR in there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
FYI, we've played a few dvd's but mostly switched to digital videos, so everything is on a 128gb memory stick. Our two children are old enough to want separate shows so we route a Kodi box to the separate RCA connections.

At least Infiniti started adding HDMI connections versus 1960's RCA ports.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember correctly, at least on my 2014, the supported formats for digital video was arcane DivX AVI only in very low resolution. If I can have drag/drop of whatever I can download for the kids, sure. But if I have to sit and convert everything to a playable format, it becomes cumbersome and unenjoyable.

I would still prefer Blu-ray playback so on long road trips we can either bring our own or buy something along the road, which we can then continue to use at home. Or live TV - but that's a different beast altogether.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I remember correctly, at least on my 2014, the supported formats for digital video was arcane DivX AVI only in very low resolution. If I can have drag/drop of whatever I can download for the kids, sure. But if I have to sit and convert everything to a playable format, it becomes cumbersome and unenjoyable.

I would still prefer Blu-ray playback so on long road trips we can either bring our own or buy something along the road, which we can then continue to use at home. Or live TV - but that's a different beast altogether.

Just went through this on our 18 we just got. Not as arcane anymore. You still should convert because the screens are tiny and you aren't getting value with bigger resolutions. One glaring thing that seems to be missing is mkv support but I was able to convert movies down to h264 codec with mp4 container and they work fine. Its really not hard to convert. I used dvdfab and it was simple, plenty of other programs can do it too. much much easier than burning dvd's in the wifes old car.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I posted that I've actually been experimenting with it since my son loves watching the TVs while driving. I can only buy and fit so many DVDs in the car. Using DivX Converter it seems to be working ok, but I'm trying to nail down the best resolution and bitrate. The manual says 720x480 for .divx and .avi but 720x576 for .asf. I tried a couple at 720x480 and ended up with vertical bars on the side. Considering the small size of these monitors I want to end up maximizing the use of the screen even if I end up with some distortion. But I tried a couple of 720x576 .divx files last night and it deemed them "unplayable" ... so got more testing to do.

The 2018s should support .h264 codecs and .mkv and .mp4 containers natively at this point. And Blu-ray...but that seems to be a lost cause with Infiniti.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since I posted that I've actually been experimenting with it since my son loves watching the TVs while driving. I can only buy and fit so many DVDs in the car. Using DivX Converter it seems to be working ok, but I'm trying to nail down the best resolution and bitrate. The manual says 720x480 for .divx and .avi but 720x576 for .asf. I tried a couple at 720x480 and ended up with vertical bars on the side. Considering the small size of these monitors I want to end up maximizing the use of the screen even if I end up with some distortion. But I tried a couple of 720x576 .divx files last night and it deemed them "unplayable" ... so got more testing to do.

The 2018s should support .h264 codecs and .mkv and .mp4 containers natively at this point. And Blu-ray...but that seems to be a lost cause with Infiniti.
Try 720X404. You are making the up and down to high so it has to cut off the sides. I did two scooby doo cartoons and they are perfect. dvdfab makes it butt easy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Infiniti has really fallen behind on tech. When I bought my first G35 they had the most tech one could find. But they have really stopped updating the cars it seems. My Mom just bought a brand new Nissan Murano and the tech center in that car is WAY better then the tech in my 1 year old QX60.

It's really sad, IMHO that they are not keeping up and staying at the top of the tech game. This will be my last Infiniti.

·
Registered
29 Posts
People said the same for Lexus when we got my wifes 2010 rx450H. But its really the same with all the manufacturers I think, one has one thing, another has something else and someone is always lacking. I think these theatre packages are a joke really anyway. Its honestly 500 times easier to get an ipad/ipad mini/tablet etc and bluetooth headphones and just load whatever movies you want on it. Even better get a wifi harddrive and just load the movies on there. Done with Android tablets, the whole shebang would probably cost 300 bucks. Apple maybe 1000. Still way cheaper than the theatre package.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try 720X404. You are making the up and down to high so it has to cut off the sides. I did two scooby doo cartoons and they are perfect. dvdfab makes it butt easy.
Made no difference. dvdFab might be good but the trial doesn't even give me the choice to output to .divx or .avi so the .mp4 file it gave me did not even show on the media player.
I've played around with multiple settings in DivX Converter, which seems to have the best results, but it still makes no sense. One of these two worked, the other said unplayable file. Can you spot a difference in the codecs? Because I can't.

General
Complete name : R:\Movies\Baby Driver.divx
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 2.04 GiB
Duration : 1 h 52 min
Overall bit rate : 2 596 kb/s
FileExtension_Invalid : avi

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format settings : BVOP1
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Bit rate : 2 500 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.302
Stream size : 1.88 GiB (92%)
Title : Video
Writing library : DivX 2682

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format settings : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Stream size : 155 MiB (7%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duratio : 500 ms
Title : Audio - en-US01
General
Complete name : R:\Movies\Ant-Man.divx
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 1.99 GiB
Duration : 1 h 57 min
Overall bit rate : 2 429 kb/s
FileExtension_Invalid : avi

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format settings : BVOP1
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Bit rate : 2 228 kb/s
Nominal bit rate : 2 500 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.269
Stream size : 1.82 GiB (92%)
Title : Video
Writing library : DivX 2682

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format settings : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Stream size : 161 MiB (8%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duratio : 500 ms
Title : Audio - en-US01

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know. I didn't really play around with divx converter. I can't speak to why certain things don't play unfortunately as my wife car is a different year. I just know that the resolution should fix your bars on the side problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts