Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved up from a 2015 Q50 to a 2018 QX60 with the Technology and Premium and Premium Plus Packages.

Everything works as I thought except the Lane Departure Prevention - LDP.

I turned it on in the settings and the button is lite on the dash by my left knee. I also pushed the button on the right bottom side of the steering wheel after starting the car. The 3 little icons are on on the instrument panel by the speedometer.

On my Q50 the car would stay between the lines with no hands. On the QX60 this does not happen. I just hear the beeps as it crosses over the lane lines.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm driving a 2014, but on mine all the different bells and whistles are on warning mode unless you enable them by pressing the car icon with concentric circles on the right of the steering wheel. Doing that turns on Distance Control Assist ("DCA") (vs. the default Forward Collision Warning ("FCW")), and turns Lane Departure Warning ("LDW") to Lane Departure Prevention ("LDP") and Blind Spot Warning ("BSW") to Blind Spot Intervention ("BSI"). I'm sure Infiniti has made some changes and improvements to the 2018 version, but knowing their methodology, that part of it hasn't changed. So even though you "enabled" them in the vehicle settings, unless you press that button they don't actually kick in. Last I checked that's not a permanent setting option, so you have to re-enable it after every restart.

EDIT: This video confirms what I said above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - I pushed the button on the steering wheel just as I did on my 2015 Q50. I also see the icons on the instrument panel but only after I pushed the button on the steering wheel. I pushed the button after starting the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes - I pushed the button on the steering wheel just as I did on my 2015 Q50. I also see the icons on the instrument panel but only after I pushed the button on the steering wheel. I pushed the button after starting the car.
You should feel the car braking when the lane departure prevention kicks in but it can only do so much on its own. It's meant to get your attention more than self drive. Did the q50 use active steering to accomplish this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So just to confirm, you have to hit the steering wheel button every time to activate these features? Is that not stupidly ridiculous to anyone else? Honestly seems like a lawsuit to me, I have to remember to activate the safety features each time I start or more important my wife does?

At any rate, I can confirm the same as the OP said, Not really impressed with the lane keeping assist. I tried it briefly, let go of the wheel when no one was near me and the thing started drifting, put a slightly amount of brake and kept going into the other lane. Maybe ours is defective? Otherwise its less than useless. More importantly, its not like it even did it quick enough that I wouldn't hit the car next to me if there was one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My Q50 had LDP and it worked. I could drive miles without touching the steering wheel. The Q50 would even do small curves in the road and still stay between the lines. My QX50 beeps as it crosses the lines and continues toward the ditch.

I agree that you should not have to turn LDP on each time I start the car.

Before I bought my QX60 I was told that LDP would work the same as with my 2015 Q50 - but it doesn’t even come close.

Even a $200 dash cam will beep as it crosses the lane lines.

I must admit I haven’t contacted my dealer yet so hopefully I can get it fixed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I may ask them as well. Its pathetic really, I did just try it once, but the effect was really nothing more than my Mercedes does which doesn't have the assist. My Mercedes will just vibrate the steering wheel and this braking it did was essentially equivalent to vibrating the steering wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree that you should not have to turn LDP on each time I start the car.

Before I bought my QX60 I was told that LDP would work the same as with my 2015 Q50 - but it doesn’t even come close.
I find the advanced safety functions to be more of a hindrance for local, low speed driving. I used to think that I'd want it on all the time but after driving the car for a while, I've changed my mind and am now glad it is off by default so I can turn it on only when I get on the highway.

As for your disappointment, this is why you should research all of the features beforehand and then test all of them during your test drive(s). Never rely on sales people to tell you about a car they don't know much about.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not really that easy to do everything during a test drive, but its more of false advertising. If its lane keeping assist than it should keep you in the lane.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For my test drive I choose to not drive on a busy freeway so that I could pay more attention to the vehicle and not on avoiding other traffic. The road I was on had a speed limit less than 45 mph so I was not able to test LDP. Next time I will do both.

Even if the LDP on the QX60 won’t keep me between the lines like my Q50 did I still am happy with my purchase.

Question - when you turn on LDP via the button on the steering wheel does the car icon in the instrument panel turn Green like the manual says it should. I’m talking about the little car icon with a line on each side.

My Q50 also had the same icon and the lines turned green when the LDP was on. The lines were white prior to turning on LDP or when the radar was off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not really that easy to do everything during a test drive, but its more of false advertising. If its lane keeping assist than it should keep you in the lane.
I don't find it that hard to hit all the points of concern. I usually go on at least two to three test drives of any car I'm going to buy. It's a large purchase, I take my time.

Is it false advertising? Does the description say it will drive itself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Question - when you turn on LDP via the button on the steering wheel does the car icon in the instrument panel turn Green like the manual says it should. I’m talking about the little car icon with a line on each side.
No green that I've noticed. Just the three icons at the top. I don't even know what that car icon is supposed to do lol as such I just keep it on the real time mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't find it that hard to hit all the points of concern. I usually go on at least two to three test drives of any car I'm going to buy. It's a large purchase, I take my time.

Is it false advertising? Does the description say it will drive itself?

No but it's suppose to assist. Tapping brakes for half a second while car continues to leave the lane is not assisting. My wife could care less and its her vehicle but I wss looking forward to these features for 3 hour drives

·
Registered
21 Posts
No but it's suppose to assist. Tapping brakes for half a second while car continues to leave the lane is not assisting. My wife could care less and its her vehicle but I wss looking forward to these features for 3 hour drives
The second or so of braking to keep the car in the lane is the "assist" for the driver to wake up and pay attention. I think if you want more you should be looking for auto drive instead. Usually cars with auto park have the steering ability as well. Speaking of which, I wish auto park was an option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most everything that uses technology works better on the QX60 then my Q50 except for the LDP. Can’t win them all but I’m still HAPPY with my lease especially the much bigger discount on the QX60. My lease for the fully loaded QX60 is less than the Q50 - both with $1,000 out of pocket. Also my insurance went down by $100 per year. :laugh::D:laugh:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Technically the vehicle is tapping the brakes on one side to "pull" you back into the lane. My 2013 version sucks and won't hold the lane at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The problem is its not assist. What this is doing is alerting you. It might as well beep. As I mentioned previously, my Mercedes will vibrate the wheel pretty good if I start to cross lanes. Should we count that as assist? Assist is not waking up the driver, that's an alert.

As for pulling you back into the lane. I suppose it might do that for 1/2 a second until it just drifts right through. I didn't expect it to drive for me, but I did expect the feature to actually do something.

While we are at it, I'm a bit annoyed with the radar cruise as well. Who designed this to shut off every time it brings the car to a stop. The Mercedes brings the car to a stop as well and you tap the gas or the cruise stick and it starts you back up again. And here's the major problem with that, if you in stop and go traffic, its worthless. The Mercedes is phenomenal in stop and go traffic because you go and stop, go again and stop instead of having to re enable the cruise every time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most everything that uses technology works better on the QX60 then my Q50 except for the LDP. Can’t win them all but I’m still HAPPY with my lease especially the much bigger discount on the QX60. My lease for the fully loaded QX60 is less than the Q50 - both with $1,000 out of pocket. Also my insurance went down by $100 per year. :D
That's gotta be such a shift, going from a sports sedan to a 3 row suv :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
No I'm just comparing to my 2011 E63. This is the wife's car. I'm just saying I'd expect things to be better not the same or less. Don't get me wrong, its a really cool car and nice for the wife, but when she's checking facebook while driving, I'd prefer it to more strongly put her back in the lane. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts