Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought a 2017 qx60 fully loaded. Today is the first day I drove the truck at night and noticed, that the driver side hid headlight looks lower then the passenger side hid headlight. Is this normal? I read on a couple of sites that this is normal, not to blind on coming traffic. Anyone else have this issue? Or should I bring it back to the dealer?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Have you tried adjusting them with the roller wheel located on the lower left panel? If not there the wheel allows you to raise and lower the headlights. I know when I'm parked on level ground with the head lights on, it looks like the lights are uneven when shining on a solid surface like the garage door, or wall. Only my JX, doing the same there was an even light pattern but on the QX60 the light pattern is just a bit off but the lights are even.

If you aren't sure take it into the dealership and have them check the alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No it did not come with the dial to adjust both headlights.
When I'm driving you can see the driver side is a little bit lower then the passenger side.
Anyone else with this issue while driving?

·
Registered
204 Posts
No it did not come with the dial to adjust both headlights.
When I'm driving you can see the driver side is a little bit lower then the passenger side.
Anyone else with this issue while driving?

@BobOB, I was wondering what dial was for, my 2017 QX60 does not have it either, I have seen in it in Infiniti's how to videos when they were showing heated steering wheel button.

Any ways, @qx60bk, I just drove mine at night time but didn't pay attention to the headlight level. I will do it next time and let you know.

When your lights are on, do you see one side projecting longer beam on the road than the other side? How do you know one is lower?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can see the hid headlight beam on the driver side is a little lower then the headlight beam on the passenger side.
As I am driving at nighttime with low beam headlights on. I can see the driver side looks lower then the passenger side.
This is a brand new 2017 with less then 300 miles on it. Going to call dealer in morning. Just want to see if this is normal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here is a image of what they look like...

@qx60bk just to confirm my 2017 projects similar beam. the driver sides angles towards left edge similar to what i see in your picture. I don't think it is misaligned, perhaps the way two beams join and project on surface. But keep us posted if your dealer says anything different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here are some more images.
Went to dealer today they said this is normal.
It looks bad while driving. there is a blind spot the size of a car. I think this is dangerous and unsafe.
This is a 2017 the lights should all be the same pattern and level.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
The first picture looks interesting, it makes the road appear to be curveing ahead to right. However I see what you mean this can be major. the street lights by me make it harder to see the difference in this much detail. I am sure mine are cutting off like that as well since the beam projection is the same.

I wonder 2016s have the same issue since both share the same design?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
That looks about right. It is to keep you from blinding people in the other lane. In Japan, it would look the opposite (they drive on the wrong side of the road like the Brits).

·
Registered
204 Posts
That looks about right. It is to keep you from blinding people in the other lane. In Japan, it would look the opposite (they drive on the wrong side of the road like the Brits).
Wow that is really thoughtful, I wonder how it looks to on coming vehicle, do they see it crooked?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy - new member, so hello, and thanks for any insights you can share. I have a headlight question/issue, also, and saw this thread, so wanted to add to it.

Just picked up a 2017 qx60, yesterday. Drove it home at night. Headlights seem bright enough, BUT the distance they cover, and the "dome" effect they create, immediately bothered me. On a flat road, or going uphill, it was fine. Going over bumpier roads, or downhill, the concentrated beam is so fine that the cutoff above it is almost pitch black. It's very disturbing. I like seeing whats ahead. With these lights, it goes from either very well lit, to virtually nothing. Turning the highbeams on fixes that, of course, but keeping them on all the time is not an option I want to use. I've seen that earlier models had a manual adjustment. Is there anything on the 2017? Perhaps mine are simply not adjusted properly upon manufacturing?

I get that the special bulbs are brighter and more concentrated, but this is just wacky. It's like a dome of light that immediately gets cut off -- at times I can see basically 20 feet in front of the car and that's it. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Howdy - new member, so hello, and thanks for any insights you can share. I have a headlight question/issue, also, and saw this thread, so wanted to add to it.

Just picked up a 2017 qx60, yesterday. Drove it home at night. Headlights seem bright enough, BUT the distance they cover, and the "dome" effect they create, immediately bothered me. On a flat road, or going uphill, it was fine. Going over bumpier roads, or downhill, the concentrated beam is so fine that the cutoff above it is almost pitch black. It's very disturbing. I like seeing whats ahead. With these lights, it goes from either very well lit, to virtually nothing. Turning the highbeams on fixes that, of course, but keeping them on all the time is not an option I want to use. I've seen that earlier models had a manual adjustment. Is there anything on the 2017? Perhaps mine are simply not adjusted properly upon manufacturing?

I get that the special bulbs are brighter and more concentrated, but this is just wacky. It's like a dome of light that immediately gets cut off -- at times I can see basically 20 feet in front of the car and that's it. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Congratulations on your purchase, I found the headlights to be same as typical Xenons, they do have sharp beams. Though I haven't driven mine out of city yet, hence, there are plenty of street lights so I haven't experienced what you mentioned, but will keep that in mind.

If yours came with Deluxe Tech Package, there is a new feature of Auto High Beam that you can try to see if it automatically adjusts the beam for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can check the IIHS test details for the headlights. Overall rating for headlights is poor and i think that's the reason why Qx60 got only Top Safety Pick rating and not the TSP+ rating .

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can check the IIHS test details for the headlights. Overall rating for headlights is poor and i think that's the reason why Qx60 got only Top Safety Pick rating and not the TSP+ rating .
I did not know that. I thought they had earned Top Safety Pick+ two years in a row due to forward collision prevention system.

but looks like only 2016 got that rating, not sure why, the headlights were rated poor last year as well, unless now that is added to rating.
2016 Infiniti QX60 earns Top Safety Pick+ award from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) - U.S. News - INFINITI Online Newsroom

Edit:
yup, just verified it lost + because of night time visibility

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...fety-pick-winners-meet-new-headlight-criteria

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the insights on the headlights. I'm probably going to have the service dept. take a look to see if they can adjust the lights upward a bit -- I'm not sure how much play they have, but it's something that's going to bother me if they can't be at least slightly adjusted. The 2017 model does not include the ability to manually adjust them.

Separately (and I know it's a new topic AND probably a really dumb question) -- the engine oil dipstick -- I can't actually see the hole it fits into. Why would anybody design a car that you can't actually see where the stick goes? Am I out of my mind? The stick bends underneath another part and disappears. Am I missing something?

Thanks, again. Happy Holidays!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts