Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2017 purchased 6 months ago with Premium Plus & Driver Assist. First Infiniti and on the whole fairly pleased.

Issues already resolved by dealer via parts replacement:
- Screen and button controls occasionally glitching out (goes off, camera frames with no video, "snow", ...)
- Slight dents on inside door padding

Pros:
- (mostly) Usable 3rd row
- Well appointed
- Comfortable for tall people
- Smooth/quiet ride
- Responsive dealer
- Low(er) octane gas

Cons:
- Unable to send text via iPhone (only receive)
- If radio left on, takes several seconds after start to turn off (software boot cycle?)
- Snow caused collision warning while stopped at traffic light
- GPS map updates are not included
- Cameras don't auto-clean

Wishes:
- Easy dashcam wiring integration or package option
- Auto-dim high beams included in PP or DA package
- Better steering wheel design so no rough edges behind where I grip, and so I don't bump station changing button during turns
- Better settings/info navigation
- 20 gallon tank (vs 19.5) -- just easier for calculations
- Apple CarPlay

·
Registered
250 Posts
- Low(er) octane gas
Are you saing the 2017 uses lower octane gas than the prior years? Because I've always put 93 Octane in my 2014 and when I've had loaner 2017 QX60, QX80, Q50S I've always thought they also needed 93 Octane.

- GPS map updates are not included
How else would they milk us out of $100+ for an update? I'm refusing to update my 2014 until they drop the price of the 2018 map to $100 like they do every once in a while. Just because why would I pay $150 for something that should be free when I know they will eventually drop it to $100?

- Cameras don't auto-clean
Whoah. Did not think about that. Which car has auto cleaning cameras?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you saing the 2017 uses lower octane gas than the prior years? Because I've always put 93 Octane in my 2014 and when I've had loaner 2017 QX60, QX80, Q50S I've always thought they also needed 93 Octane.
The dealer told me the 2017 was fine with the lower octane -- that I may see slightly less performance but no long-term negative engine effects.

Whoah. Did not think about that. Which car has auto cleaning cameras?
Don't know which cars have auto-clean cameras, just wish the QX had it especially if snow causes the collision sensor to go off when stopped at a light...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't think any have auto/clean cameras acura does not. Your collision sensor if it is like most others is based on radar/sonar tech so it gets confused by stuff in the air I usually shut them off when it snows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think any have auto/clean cameras acura does not. Your collision sensor if it is like most others is based on radar/sonar tech so it gets confused by stuff in the air I usually shut them off when it snows.
Looks like Continental has a solution:

·
Registered
168 Posts
The dealer told me the 2017 was fine with the lower octane -- that I may see slightly less performance but no long-term negative engine effects.

even on my 2015, the fuel door and everywhere else I look says that premium fuel is 'recommended'. I read a lengthy article recently (this is where I should have been prepared with a link to said article). I don't remember who did this study, maybe consumer reports or a similar group. Anyway, they took a bunch of different vehicles, ran low grade gas through them extensively testing both performance (via 0-60 times, quarter mile times, etc...) and fuel efficiency. Much to my (and their) surprise, they found ZERO difference in any category running high octane vs. low octane (I think they tested 93 octane vs. 87 or at most 89). MPG was identical, as were all performance-related times. The conclusion was this: other high-end cars (like Mercedes, bmw, etc...) are engineered and designed specifically to run on premium gas only. In this case, it will be labeled as premium fuel 'required'. Other vehicles, like in this case our QX60, merely has premium fuel 'recommended'. Their conclusion was that there was no measurable advantage gained in using higher octane fuel in vehicles that were not labeled as 'requiring' it.

This being said, the study was not conducted over multi-year period of time, so the long term effect, if any, on mechanical breakdown is unknown to me at this time. In the short time I've had mine, I have been using the low grade fuel, and have and will continue to probably just dump an inexpensive bottle of octane booster/fuel injector cleaner in the tank every few fill-ups. Maybe occasionally I'll fill it up w/ premium, but that most definitely won't be a common practice for me, especially after reading this article. If I ever come across it again, I'll post the link on here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
even on my 2015, the fuel door and everywhere else I look says that premium fuel is 'recommended'. I read a lengthy article recently (this is where I should have been prepared with a link to said article). I don't remember who did this study, maybe consumer reports or a similar group. Anyway, they took a bunch of different vehicles, ran low grade gas through them extensively testing both performance (via 0-60 times, quarter mile times, etc...) and fuel efficiency. Much to my (and their) surprise, they found ZERO difference in any category running high octane vs. low octane (I think they tested 93 octane vs. 87 or at most 89). MPG was identical, as were all performance-related times. The conclusion was this: other high-end cars (like Mercedes, bmw, etc...) are engineered and designed specifically to run on premium gas only. In this case, it will be labeled as premium fuel 'required'. Other vehicles, like in this case our QX60, merely has premium fuel 'recommended'. Their conclusion was that there was no measurable advantage gained in using higher octane fuel in vehicles that were not labeled as 'requiring' it.

This being said, the study was not conducted over multi-year period of time, so the long term effect, if any, on mechanical breakdown is unknown to me at this time. In the short time I've had mine, I have been using the low grade fuel, and have and will continue to probably just dump an inexpensive bottle of octane booster/fuel injector cleaner in the tank every few fill-ups. Maybe occasionally I'll fill it up w/ premium, but that most definitely won't be a common practice for me, especially after reading this article. If I ever come across it again, I'll post the link on here.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buying-car-do-you-need-use-premium-gas-228198

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy-efficiency/why-you-might-not-actually-need-premium-gas/

Basically I run "top tier" 87 and it's fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thank you for posting the links! Apparently more than one group did research on this topic. :) Good to know I'm not the only one that will not be pumping premium gas in my QX60 all of the time!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My own research into 87 v. 91-92 octane in prior vehicles showed the performance difference was negligible but I definitely lost about 0.5MPG over numerous tanks and would occasionally get some engine knock. This was with Mitsubishi's 3L V6, both the 195 HP version from the late 90s and the 224 HP version from around 2010.

Here in IL it's sometimes difficult to find 93 octane and basically impossible to find 'pure' gas; it's all at least E10 so the ethanol content may be a factor.

I haven't bothered to try 87 in my QX16. I buy premium only and get it from Costco (Top Tier) whenever possible. Bonus points to them for not being 75 cents a gallon more than regular like most other gas stations. (What happened to the days when regular to midgrade to premium was only 10 cents for each jump?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts