Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Usually minor refreshes are, as you mentioned, upgraded front ends, headlights, taillights. But there could be minor interior tweaks as well, biggest may be the audio head unit. Maybe they'll upgrade it to be more in line with the newer type units in other Infiniti models. Not a huge deal but still something to consider for those who may care about that type of thing.
My memory was that they went from the Infiniti G35 to G37 as a "refresh" but upgraded its powertrain. Something like that is necessary with the QX60. It was back of the pack in this department when the car was released in 2013 and with the new Volvo XC90 T6 and upcoming Audi Q7 (both of which do 0-60 in about 6 seconds with good fuel economy), it's going to really fall behind. But it's doubtful Infiniti would make that move.

Maybe Infiniti doesn't really want to compete with the Q7s and XC90s of the world but is content competing against the likes of the Enclave, Acadia Denali, etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My memory was that they went from the Infiniti G35 to G37 as a "refresh" but upgraded its powertrain. Something like that is necessary with the QX60. It was back of the pack in this department when the car was released in 2013 and with the new Volvo XC90 T6 and upcoming Audi Q7 (both of which do 0-60 in about 6 seconds with good fuel economy), it's going to really fall behind. But it's doubtful Infiniti would make that move.

Maybe Infiniti doesn't really want to compete with the Q7s and XC90s of the world but is content competing against the likes of the Enclave, Acadia Denali, etc.
Funny you mention the new 2016 XC90.

My dad now owns my QX60 Hybrid AWD and I purchased, at the end of this past May, a 2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition. I couldn't be more happy with it. It had ALL the technology I could want and that small 4 banger with its supercharger and turbocharger is amazingly powerful. Gas mileage is amazing as well. It does meh in the city, 18 if driven normal and 20 if driven cautiously but on the highway during road trips I've gotten 28mpg consistently.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Funny you mention the new 2016 XC90.

My dad now owns my QX60 Hybrid AWD and I purchased, at the end of this past May, a 2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition. I couldn't be more happy with it. It had ALL the technology I could want and that small 4 banger with its supercharger and turbocharger is amazingly powerful. Gas mileage is amazing as well. It does meh in the city, 18 if driven normal and 20 if driven cautiously but on the highway during road trips I've gotten 28mpg consistently.
I've ridden in the XC90 and it's a pretty cool car. Unfortunately, Infiniti has nothing to compete (from a powertrain standpoint) with what Audi and Volvo have done. I think they need to put more effort into their mid-level and top end cars with less focus on things like the Q30/QX30 if they want to elevate their brand image.

·
Registered
663 Posts
...went from the Infiniti G35 to G37...
Nissan created a new motor then slowly rolled it out across their entire vehicle lineup so the rollout path was easy to see. Took years. I don't think Nissan is working on any secret motors that will appear on the QX60 first. Maybe the Q70 or QX80 first (or the new flagship Q80), but not the QX70.

Sad as it sounds, they're probably working on a redesigned Hybrid, 4-bangers, and pure electrics. Nissan surprised the market with the Leaf, but have since done nothing to keep the market lead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nissan created a new motor then slowly rolled it out across their entire vehicle lineup so the rollout path was easy to see. Took years. I don't think Nissan is working on any secret motors that will appear on the QX60 first. Maybe the Q70 or QX80 first (or the new flagship Q80), but not the QX70.

Sad as it sounds, they're probably working on a redesigned Hybrid, 4-bangers, and pure electrics. Nissan surprised the market with the Leaf, but have since done nothing to keep the market lead.
You are right about what you say. However, a switch to the 3.7 motor with 7spd would be far better than what's in the QX60 now, IMO.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts