Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am considering both cars and wondering if any of you test drove the new XC90 before you purchased the QX. If so, what made you choose Infiniti over Volvo. I have been a Infiniti/Nissan owner since 2004, but Volvo is really hard to resist. Also, here is a video of the redesigned QX. It really looks good: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzTAfr9i3sQ

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi All,

I am considering both cars and wondering if any of you test drove the new XC90 before you purchased the QX. If so, what made you choose Infiniti over Volvo. I have been a Infiniti/Nissan owner since 2004, but Volvo is really hard to resist. Also, here is a video of the redesigned QX. It really looks good: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzTAfr9i3sQ

Thanks.
I didn't test drive the Volvo. Supposedly it is very nice...although I get the impression that the street price is lower with the QX60.

I liked the idea of buying a proven design with a naturally aspirated V6. I would like to see the Volvo prove its reliability with the turbo charged and super charged 4 cylinder. Impressive performance, but would be nervous about getting a first year version of this engine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I owned a QX60 and my father bought it off me so I can get into an XC90. I have an XC90 First Edition and love it. The First Edition was fully loaded so it came out to aprox. $5k more than my fully loaded QX60 was on the sticker price (I had a fully loaded Hybrid QX60).

From seating position, to seating comfort, to tighter cornering and engine smoothness and power, to all the electronics and gadgets the XC90 wins hands down. I honestly could not stand the way Infiniti implemented their hybrid design in the QX60. I also had trouble after a year with the fact it really began to feel like a glorified Pathfinder on steroids.

Only you know what is best for you in terms of affordability and all and I wish you luck in whichever you choose.

I should add after reading the above comment that mine was one of the first delivered into the US, May of 2015, and I'm closing in on 9000 miles and never had any mechanical issues. There have been a few software glitches that affected the radio but they were addressed in an update released in November. I also got CarPlay installed in November and having an iPhone like it for sending messages (and receiving them) and controlling my Apple Music while in the vehicle. Having Siri at the push of a button on the steering wheel is kind of nice.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I love the conservative design of the XC90 and the slick interior layout. I'd probably be driving it now if it came out two years earlier, but the JX/QX60 was the best available at the time.

At 63K on my JX it's still running like a champ, had no issues and is inexpensive to maintain.
- Nissan dealership $20 oil changes
- New tires at 60K - $127/tire
- Proven engine and tranny (I have the older version)
- Still on original front/rear disk pads

I'm assuming the Volvo will be a bit more costly to operate.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I love the conservative design of the XC90 and the slick interior layout. I'd probably be driving it now if it came out two years earlier, but the JX/QX60 was the best available at the time.

At 63K on my JX it's still running like a champ, had no issues and is inexpensive to maintain.
- Nissan dealership $20 oil changes
- New tires at 60K - $127/tire
- Proven engine and tranny (I have the older version)
- Still on original front/rear disk pads

I'm assuming the Volvo will be a bit more costly to operate.

Volvo gives more in terms of maintenance after purchase. I only got my first service free on the Infiniti, basically oil change and tire rotation. With the Volvo I get the first 3 oil changes and tire rotations free. I think the regular warranty is the same, 4 year/50,000 mile. That's what Ininiti is, right? After that, not sure if the per hour rates are the same between Infiniti and Volvo. I trade generally at 4 years before the warranty is up so I just don't know in those regards. Oil changes don't have to be done at a dealership so oil change prices would be the same (and tire rotations) between an Infiniti, a Volvo and any other brand really. Difference would be if someone wants dino oil or synthetic.

The transmission in the Volvo is an 8 speed transmission built in Japan either by Toyota or is one Toyota uses heavily so I have no fears about it. I actually have less fears about it than the multitude of cvt issues people have had in the JX/QX over the years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I compared, the Volvo was about 7-9k more expensive out the door than a AWD nonhybrid QX60. The post sale service and maintenance goodies do not make up this difference. So in order to buy the Volvo one would have to want it for reasons other than money.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I compared, the Volvo was about 7-9k more expensive out the door than a AWD nonhybrid QX60. The post sale service and maintenance goodies do not make up this difference. So in order to buy the Volvo one would have to want it for reasons other than money.

A loaded XC90 for $7-9k more also has many more features and a much higher lux fit and finish than the QX60. Volvo has also, within the past month or so, announced a T5 model of the XC90 that sells for a lower starting price BUT has no AWD (it's FWD), no 3rd row and the engine is only turbocharged instead of being bi-charged like the T6 with both a turbo and supercharger. I could see it selling more in places like So. Cal. where FWD would suffice for many IF they didn't need the 3rd row of course.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think the regular warranty is the same, 4 year/50,000 mile. That's what Ininiti is, right?
Here are JX/QX Warranties

Basic 4 years / 60,000 miles
Drivetrain 6 years / 70,000 miles
Corrosion 7 years / Unlimited miles
Roadside Assistance 4 years / Unlimited miles

·
Registered
39 Posts
Volvo is also Chinese owned...

I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy the Volvo for this reason, but it should at least be a consideration for one of your largest household purchases.

Infiniti is Japanese owned (US ally, NATO member) and the QX60 is made in Tennessee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I owned a QX60 and my father bought it off me so I can get into an XC90. I have an XC90 First Edition and love it. The First Edition was fully loaded so it came out to aprox. $5k more than my fully loaded QX60 was on the sticker price (I had a fully loaded Hybrid QX60).

From seating position, to seating comfort, to tighter cornering and engine smoothness and power, to all the electronics and gadgets the XC90 wins hands down. I honestly could not stand the way Infiniti implemented their hybrid design in the QX60. I also had trouble after a year with the fact it really began to feel like a glorified Pathfinder on steroids.

Only you know what is best for you in terms of affordability and all and I wish you luck in whichever you choose.

I should add after reading the above comment that mine was one of the first delivered into the US, May of 2015, and I'm closing in on 9000 miles and never had any mechanical issues. There have been a few software glitches that affected the radio but they were addressed in an update released in November. I also got CarPlay installed in November and having an iPhone like it for sending messages (and receiving them) and controlling my Apple Music while in the vehicle. Having Siri at the push of a button on the steering wheel is kind of nice.
Thanks for your input. Can you give your thoughts on how they compare in terms of road/wind/engine noise? I test drove both, but could not drive the Volvo at highway speeds as I got rear ended on the ramp to the highway:(
Also, did you get the Bowers&Wilkins and the air suspension? If so, are you happy with them?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for your input. Can you give your thoughts on how they compare in terms of road/wind/engine noise? I test drove both, but could not drive the Volvo at highway speeds as I got rear ended on the ramp to the highway:(
Also, did you get the Bowers&Wilkins and the air suspension? If so, are you happy with them?
Thanks again.

Yes, I got a 'First Edition' which came fully equipped. The First Editions were numbered X out of 1927 vehicles built 'first' off the line. 1927 was the year Volvo was founded, so I learned, when looking into the vehicle. The Bowers and Wilkins in a pricey option but compared to what some manufacturers want for systems, like the B&O in the new Audi Q7, the B&W seems like a steal. It also has the air suspension which doesn't soften the ride as much as I thought it would but it nice when going into dynamic mode as it lowers the height of the car enough that I can feel the difference in handling. It is also nice how it lowers the vehicle for exiting and then raises again upon re-entering and starting. Surely it is not necessary but it's a 'neat gimmick' and one that works. On the highway, I find it super smooth. I have the 21" rims/tire combo. I find the cabin quiet especially on asphalt roads but on concrete roadways I find the tires do give off more road noise. It's not loud by any means, but certainly more noticeable but I think it is because of this particular rim'tire combo. People with the 20s don't seem to notice it as much. I also think it's a personal preference type thing so if you are in the market you really should ask them to get you on a highway. So, that's road/tire noise, wind noise I never notice. Engine noise doesn't bother me as well. Like any engine, if you floor it you will hear the engine but never can I say the engine was loud. I am actually impressed as heck with the smoothness and power they got out of that 2.0L supercharged and turbocharged engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts