Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the market for an Infiniti QX60 but I'm also looking at the Acura 2016 Acura MDX. The comparison for both cars would be all top of the line for both cars. Based on reviews it seems that the Acura beats the QX in hp and driving dynamics. But when it comes to interior luxury and infotainment, I believe that it may go to the QX. The big x-factor for me is the safety. I really like the surround camera that the QX60 has, as well as the reverse auto braking capability. Can anyone also explain any additional safety features that the QX60 may have that the 2016 Acura MDX may not have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, the qx60 has less HP and worse driving dynamics, whatever that means to you. :)

Seriously, neither is a sports car and thinking you will dive it like one reduces safety more than any special feature will improve it.

Both are quite safe and I'd base my decision on how the vehicle will meet your needs over the next several years of ownership.

For example, if you need the third row for people, the qx60 is much better. If you want to haul lots of stuff with the third row folded, the MDX has a little more space, height-wise, I think.

(I made the decision to go qx60 and never looked back. People complain about the low HP and CVT but I have never found either to be a problem, even with a loaded car with bikes on the back and a roof rack of top. I enjoy the over 20 mpg I actually get under such conditions, which would not happen if I had another 40 HP that I don't need.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, the qx60 has less HP and worse driving dynamics, whatever that means to you. :)

Seriously, neither is a sports car and thinking you will dive it like one reduces safety more than any special feature will improve it.

Both are quite safe and I'd base my decision on how the vehicle will meet your needs over the next several years of ownership.

For example, if you need the third row for people, the qx60 is much better. If you want to haul lots of stuff with the third row folded, the MDX has a little more space, height-wise, I think.

(I made the decision to go qx60 and never looked back. People complain about the low HP and CVT but I have never found either to be a problem, even with a loaded car with bikes on the back and a roof rack of top. I enjoy the over 20 mpg I actually get under such conditions, which would not happen if I had another 40 HP that I don't need.)

Good luck!
agreed. lots of people complaint about the hp. they also complaint about the gas mileage. lol. i don't feel under power with my 2014 QX60.

·
Super Moderator
539 Posts
agreed. lots of people complaint about the hp. they also complaint about the gas mileage. lol. i don't feel under power with my 2014 QX60.
I don't hear customers complain about the HP. I do hear reviewers mention it - because it is one of those few objective statistics they can use to compare the two. If you want to race other moms from stop sign to stop sign, I've got an awesome used FX50 I could sell you.

They're both great vehicles. I find the QX60 wins in comfort on a long trip, safety features, and seating/cargo flexibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your input! I'm a father with 2 kids. I won't be racing around with the family in the car. If it's just me in the car, it may be a different story. :) I've just read a lot about the torque-vectoring that's available in the MDX and how it improves the handling, but I've yet to drive the car myself. Given that we're getting close to the end of the year, does anyone know if there are any significant changes with the 2016 QX60s? Pricing for the 2015 fully loaded QX is on par with a fully loaded 2016 MDX.

Any comments/pros/cons with the infotainment system for the QX? I did like the fact that you can watch up front (as long as the parking brake is engaged). Not sure if you can do that in the MDX.

Thanks!

Sonny

·
Super Moderator
539 Posts
No big changes for QX60 for next year. We'll see '16's in a few months.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello,

I'm in the market for an Infiniti QX60 but I'm also looking at the Acura 2016 Acura MDX. The comparison for both cars would be all top of the line for both cars. Based on reviews it seems that the Acura beats the QX in hp and driving dynamics. But when it comes to interior luxury and infotainment, I believe that it may go to the QX. The big x-factor for me is the safety. I really like the surround camera that the QX60 has, as well as the reverse auto braking capability. Can anyone also explain any additional safety features that the QX60 may have that the 2016 Acura MDX may not have?

Thanks!
Unlike some others, I DO have a problem with the car's horsepower and driving dynamics. Even if you don't think it matters, I will point out that it's gotta be the worst in class in terms of power. Apart from this, my other issue is that the QX60 feels like it was thrown together last minute. The car is flimsily built, and just doesn't seem like it's one cohesive unit. Juxtapose this with a 2011 G37 I used to drive which was the exact opposite.

That said, I would still pick the QX60 over the MDX for ride quality, size and interior quality. If you can wait though, I would check out the upcoming Audi Q7 and Volvo XC90.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unlike some others, I DO have a problem with the car's horsepower and driving dynamics. Even if you don't think it matters, I will point out that it's gotta be the worst in class in terms of power. Apart from this, my other issue is that the QX60 feels like it was thrown together last minute. The car is flimsily built, and just doesn't seem like it's one cohesive unit. Juxtapose this with a 2011 G37 I used to drive which was the exact opposite.

That said, I would still pick the QX60 over the MDX for ride quality, size and interior quality. If you can wait though, I would check out the upcoming Audi Q7 and Volvo XC90.
I drove two G35's and they were awesome cars, I had a 06 and and 08. I now have a 2014 QX60 with the same engine as in my G35's. I see a little difference in the takeoff speed, but my QX60 will move when I give it gas. It's not enough difference for me to complain. I am now driving a family car, extremely comfortable ride, and it's not intended to be a sports car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
Don't know if you have already made your purchase, but I'll provide my input as we were also in a similar situation and finally purchased the QX60 last week.
Actually, for me the debate between the QX60 and MDX was short-lived most importantly because of the 3rd row comfort, but also because of a few other things. For us it was more a debate between the more practical, convenient and spacious choice - Odyssey vs the better interior and drive of QX60.

I did test drive the 2015 MDX, but not the 2016. May be I'm in the minority, but I actually preferred the more comfortable and smoother drive of the QX60 over the MDX. Now I didn't drive it on curvy mountain roads, where i guess MDX would be much better, but on regular city roads somehow the MDX just felt heavier and more truck like, while the QX60 feels more like a large sedan. Also, at least to me the MDX didn't feel any more powerful than the QX60. Plus I prefer the interior of the QX60 over the MDX.

You should definitely test drive the MDX and I would say also the Q7 and the new XC90. Just to mention, the 2016 MDX comes with the new 9 speed transmission and every single reviewer has said it is horrible. Everyone of them preferred the 6 speed in the 2015. The new XC90 definitely drives much better than both QX60 and MDX, but it will be more expensive similarly equipped and I didn't like its 3rd row seat either. And at least in our area, its availability is practically nil at this time. Dealer said it will be another 2-3 months when most of the inventory arrives.

Though I would like to add that the QX60 is my wife's daily driver. I definitely would not use it as one (or any SUV for that matter) as I drive "spiritedly" and probably nothing short of a Porsche Cayenne will suffice my needs :). But we are loving the QX60 for our intended use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat but compairing 2017 QX60 vs MDX. To me it comes down to the drive feel/performance of the MDX (it is smaller with a bigger engine so the drive feels "sportier") vs the comfort/room of the interior of the Qx60.

The one other possible factor is reliability and resale value. I think MDX gets the nod?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in the same boat but compairing 2017 QX60 vs MDX. To me it comes down to the drive feel/performance of the MDX (it is smaller with a bigger engine so the drive feels "sportier") vs the comfort/room of the interior of the Qx60.

The one other possible factor is reliability and resale value. I think MDX gets the nod?
Are you planning to haul 6-7 passengers in hot climate? If so, test sitting in the 3rd row of both for no less than 10 minutes out in the sun. You'll noticed the 2017 QX60 Missing air vents. And while sitting there for 10 minutes doesn't bother you. Then you're all good.

Other items to think about.
HID headlamps vs LED.
Dynamic Suspension vs only 1 type.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts