Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry this happened to you and I’m glad everyone was safe! I agree there needs to be a recall. Please file a complaint with NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration . Hopefully we can draw some attention with all the complaints. I paid for my glass replacement out of pocket instead of filing with my insurance. Cost was $429 total.
I reached out to a local glass shop to find out how much it would be, if it's less then my deductible then I will pay out of pocket. I will file a complaint as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have QX60 , 2019 model. The sunroof exploded today on highway to calgary, BC. It was a loud sound of explosion and we could not figure out what had happened as the cover of sunroof was pulled up. We pulled over to take a look at the car. It took us quite a while to notice the sunroof. We are so thankful that the glass did not fall on us but it is now stuck in the sunroof cover. We were so scared we just drove back home slowly.
We called the dealers and they said it wasn't covered in warranty. I was shocked and then found this thread. This is so disturbing that despite so many complains infinity is not taking any steps to help us customers. We just keep thinking how could this possibly happen. I mean this is not our first car so we know sunroofs don't just explode out of nowhere in the middle of the road.
I am reporting this to NHTSA and request that everyone who has experienced this does the same. There needs to be a recall on this, this is very unacceptable and dangerous.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, the same thing happened to me in my 2014 QX60 yesterday on the way back home to Georgia from Tennessee. I normally park my car in my garage at home and my car rarely sits out in the sun for hours but I was visiting a relative in Nashville and my car sat in their driveway in over 95 F heat with no shade for a couple of days without driving. I share the temperature and sun because someone in this feed mentioned thermal shock, and maybe in my case it is.

I left in the late morning yesterday to return home and about half way on the four hour drive on the highway going about 70 mph, I heard a sudden loud explosion and my car slightly shook. I thought the big rig truck driving next to me had a tire explode and maybe a part hit my car but the truck kept going with no issue. I then realized the noise was coming from above my head and it rattled loudly and it sounded like a part of my roof came off. It took me a minute from the shock to collect myself and then realize that it was my moon roof and it was probably no longer entirely intact. Luckily my sun panel was closed and and while I couldn't immediately confirm what I truly thought happened at least I wasn't hurt by the flying and falling glass. I was only a mile from the next exit where there was a gas station and I pulled off the highway and pulled into the station to have a look and sure enough my moon roof was shattered and in pieces on top of my sun panel. I went inside the station store and bought some strong tape and asked for some spare cardboard to cover the hole. I made it home 2.5 hours later and physically unscathed but mentally today I'm still reeling from the shock and like Ravneet said in his post, it is very unacceptable and dangerous. I too will be filing a complaint with NHTSA and other consumer affairs sites and I agree a recall needs to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
OMG, I thought I was the only one who experienced this incident. I have a 2014 QX60 and my sunroof just exploded yesterday, 9/3/21 as well and it was a loud boom and I thought something inside my car just exploded while I was driving after I dropped off the kids to school. I was at 35 miles per hour when it happened and I live here in AZ and it was not that hot yesterday, about 83 degrees that morning. I pulled over to make sure I didn’t lose anything after that loud explosion. I checked inside my car and in the back and when I was about to drive away finding nothing, I heard a shattering glass when I closed my driver side door and there you go, it was my sunroof that exploded. I called my insurance company and they will cover it but I am so stoked and shocked in that incident. I believe, there should be a recall on the sunroof of the QX60 since a lot of peeps had the same incident as mine. I would like to report this as well to the government. Please advise how to proceed in that direction. Thank you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, the same thing happened to me in my 2014 QX60 yesterday on the way back home to Georgia from Tennessee. I normally park my car in my garage at home and my car rarely sits out in the sun for hours but I was visiting a relative in Nashville and my car sat in their driveway in over 95 F heat with no shade for a couple of days without driving. I share the temperature and sun because someone in this feed mentioned thermal shock, and maybe in my case it is.

I left in the late morning yesterday to return home and about half way on the four hour drive on the highway going about 70 mph, I heard a sudden loud explosion and my car slightly shook. I thought the big rig truck driving next to me had a tire explode and maybe a part hit my car but the truck kept going with no issue. I then realized the noise was coming from above my head and it rattled loudly and it sounded like a part of my roof came off. It took me a minute from the shock to collect myself and then realize that it was my moon roof and it was probably no longer entirely intact. Luckily my sun panel was closed and and while I couldn't immediately confirm what I truly thought happened at least I wasn't hurt by the flying and falling glass. I was only a mile from the next exit where there was a gas station and I pulled off the highway and pulled into the station to have a look and sure enough my moon roof was shattered and in pieces on top of my sun panel. I went inside the station store and bought some strong tape and asked for some spare cardboard to cover the hole. I made it home 2.5 hours later and physically unscathed but mentally today I'm still reeling from the shock and like Ravneet said in his post, it is very unacceptable and dangerous. I too will be filing a complaint with NHTSA and other consumer affairs sites and I agree a recall needs to start.

Hello, that was really scary! It happened to me as well yesterday, 9/3/21 to my 2014 QX60 as I was driving back home after I dropped off the kids to school. Thank goodness, I was alone when the loud explosion happened. The weather was not even hot yesterday, it was 83 degrees that morning. This needs to be reported to the government and a recall should be done on the sunroofs of the QX60 Infiniti so they know it’s not just a matter of one, two or three people that had the same incident. I posted something here in this forum too, but it is under approval and I don’t know why. I hope they will do the posting approval to add into this forum.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well, I guess it's my turn. Returned to my car in the VRE Commuter lot, just like I do every Tues-Thurs, to find this...no other damage. Appears to have been caused by thermal stress, was 90 deg F today. Safelite is going to replace for $612.00.

Window Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes, I put in claim with USAA, who has a partnership with Safelight. They are coming to replace it in my garage on Thursday -- although COVID is interrupting supplies, so fingers crossed. For now I have a, "There, fixed it myself." duct tape job. Unfortunately, my 16 year daughter just started driving ($1800/year 😱--just for her); so I raised my deductible of $1000 to reduce the bill. Then the right rear quarter-panel glass shatters out of no where (no other damage visable)...so I get to eat this one. 🥳 Murphy's Law I guess.

The picture was taken when I got home, I didn't notice it until I was halfway home on my commute. If you look at the right side of glass (picture taken from the outside); close to the C-pillar and rear door, you can see a couple of shards of glass fell out. Look like the glass buckled in that area...and it looks like thermal stress was the cause, but who knows. Weird that it would happen on a relatively mild day (high about 89 deg F); after 7 years.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts