Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2015 QX60 and while I was driving on the highway over the weekend, the sunroof on my car just exploded!! Thankfully I had the shade fully covering the sunroof so the glass pieces did not fall on me or my family, but it was terrifying!

It sounded like a gunshot and that was the scariest part of the ordeal!

I searched online and I found this to be a fairly common occurence. There seems to be no recall and apparently this has to be paid by us (or sent to insurance).

Is this something that others have experienced on this forum?

How did you deal with this situation?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The standard sunroof or panoramic one?

·
Registered
475 Posts
That sucks. Do you think something impacted it, like a piece of road debris, or do think it was thermal stress? I hope your bumper to bumper warranty is still in effect!

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is INSANE! Are you sure something didn't fall off of an overpass or a piece of debris off the road didn't somehow hit it? That's just hard to wrap my mind around how that would happen!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Happened to us also - 2014 QX60 driving from LA to bay area on I5 during the Thanksgiving holiday last year. It's the sunroof, directly above the first row, driver seat. Panoramic was not affected.
Yes - it scared the crap out of us - very loud boom. We also had the shade closed so no glass debris fell inside, but it did leave scratches in the rear roof with the small glass particles imbedded in the plastic.
I5 was packed with cars and semi-trucks - felt sorry for the car behind us in the left lane as I'm sure their car was showered with glass debris.
Drove home the remaining 2 hrs with that loud whooshing sound due to no sunroof - just glad it didn't rain.
Called dealership and they said it was likely some rock from the semi-truck that caused the damage. They would not cover it as it was considered due to 'road hazards'. They quoted $1300 for replacement. I also spoke to service manager about the sunroof, but no - it's not covered under the bumper to bumper.
I called my insurance company and they covered it.
I googled it exploding sunroofs and there's all kind of data - especially from Consumer Reports.
I filed an incident report with the NHSTA

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2017 Infiniti QX60 and were driving 35 mph and the sunroof exploded , sounded like a gunshot. Nothing hit the car this came out of nowhere. Does anyone know how to get this paid for under warranty as this seems to be happening too much?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2015 QX60 and while I was driving on the highway over the weekend, the sunroof on my car just exploded!! Thankfully I had the shade fully covering the sunroof so the glass pieces did not fall on me or my family, but it was terrifying!

It sounded like a gunshot and that was the scariest part of the ordeal!

I searched online and I found this to be a fairly common occurence. There seems to be no recall and apparently this has to be paid by us (or sent to insurance).

Is this something that others have experienced on this forum?

How did you deal with this situation?
I have just experienced this very same thing with my 2020 QX60 this past Saturday April 11, 2020 while driving on the expressway. There was not a rock or any object inside the sunroof only shattered glass. I almost had a accident from the loud explosion.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If nothing hit it, then it had to be a thermal stress fracture...means there was a defect in the glass and it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's horrible. How could a manufacturer allow this. I do not understand. Well, I hope everything is fine with you. Perhaps the sunroof motor is jammed tightly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a '15 QX60 & my Sunroof also exploded on the afternoon of 3/26/21. Very little traffic, minding my own business then, BAM, what sounded like a gunshot! It took a few minutes for me to realize what happened only after glass started dropping on my head. good thing I was driving alone and no other family members were in the car.
I've also filed a complaint w/ NHTSA.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a '15 QX60 & my Sunroof also exploded on the afternoon of 3/26/21. Very little traffic, minding my own business then, BAM, what sounded like a gunshot! It took a few minutes for me to realize what happened only after glass started dropping on my head. good thing I was driving alone and no other family members were in the car.
I've also filed a complaint w/ NHTSA.
Can you tell us what the weather was like? was the car parked in garage before driving? when was last time the sunroof was opened up?

Glad you were not hurt, but yes, I'm curious as to if any thermal shock might have played into this situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The weather was sunny but cool. Approximately 60 degrees F in Dallas (location of car). Yes, the car had been parked in the employee parking garage for the day. I typically open the roof during the section of my commute home from work, prior to entering the Freeway then I typically close the roof but leave the screen open. Good question regarding thermal shock. I’m convinced the cause was as a result of a defective element of some type in the glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 QX60 and my sunroof recently exploded similar to the previous posts. Was driving 40 MPH and heard a loud pop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was informed to file a complaint about the exploding Sunroof to the Government:

www.nhtsa.gov

Hopefully, they will issue a recall for defective Sunroofs sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was surfing the net researching this subject and found this thread. The same thing happened to my wife’s 2016 QX60. She was driving and I was riding shotgun. We were on the interstate going 75 mph and the loudest explosion I’ve heard since Iraq almost did me in. I thought we were taking rounds from another driver near us. Luckily my wife kept her wits about her and stayed between the lines. It took us a few minutes to actually figure out what had happened. Immediately I started googling “sunroof exploded”. It seems to not be all that uncommon. Contaminants in the glass over time cause the glass to explode without warning. Thank God we had the sun shade closed. It could have caused injuries and possibly a horrific accident. My wife is in the car business and she did her research as well. We have to eat the cost of the repair. Which I was told the glass itself runs around 300$. Then the labor also but it’s still less than my 500$ deductible. I love her QX60 and this is the only issue we’ve had. It sure would be nice if Infinity could do more for us. I’m open to suggestions on the best route to get this fixed. As it is she is driving around with cardboard taped to her roof. Which looks kinda ghetto. Especially driving a nice car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh my Gosh!!! My sunroof exploded yesterday!!! I have an infinti QX60 2014. Scariest feeling but luckily I wasn’t injured! There really needs to be a recall after seeing so many people on this forum with the same experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh my Gosh!!! My sunroof exploded yesterday!!! I have an infinti QX60 2014. Scariest feeling but luckily I wasn’t injured! There really needs to be a recall after seeing so many people on this forum with the same experience.
This just happened to me today. Driving with my 3 month old, 2.5 year old and husband. Luckily the shade was drawn. Going to contact insurance but thinking there should be a recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened to me today. Driving with my 3 month old, 2.5 year old and husband. Luckily the shade was drawn. Going to contact insurance but thinking there should be a recall.
Sorry this happened to you and I’m glad everyone was safe! I agree there needs to be a recall. Please file a complaint with NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration . Hopefully we can draw some attention with all the complaints. I paid for my glass replacement out of pocket instead of filing with my insurance. Cost was $429 total.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts