Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this question is multi-faceted. And entirely unnecessary purely from a functional perspective, as the stock headlights do look fine and operate perfectly well. This is more for my own neurotic cosmetic preferences LOL

1) What model year did the headlights switch over to include LEDs?

2) Do any subsequent model year headlights correctly fit in the 2015 models (I would intend to swap different year headlights in if not too cost prohibitive)

3) Would swapping out a newer model headlight invalidate my CPO and extended bumper to bumper warranty?

4) Any ballpark estimates on how much the new headlights and labor to put them in would cost?

Basically I have driven as a loaner a newer year model QX60, and honestly don't notice any functional upgrades that made me excited enough to consider swapping into a newer year at this point, although I LOVE the LED trimmed headlights of the newer years. Hence my interest in just switching headlights if that is even possible in my scenario? Any insight would be awesome! Many of you in here seem to know these things like the back of your hand, so I'm hopeful to get the answer here! Thanks!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
MY 2016 was the update to the front and rear fascias along with the addition of LED running lights and fog lamps.

You'd need the entire front clip to make this work as the headlights are larger. So the front bumper, grill, etc. You'd need to do some wiring too as there is no DRL in the 2014-2015 and I'm sure the fog lamps are different wiring too.

I just replaced the fogs with 4300K LED bulbs to match the HID and replaced the city light with a Philips LED to match as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MY 2016 was the update to the front and rear fascias along with the addition of LED running lights and fog lamps.

You'd need the entire front clip to make this work as the headlights are larger. So the front bumper, grill, etc. You'd need to do some wiring too as there is no DRL in the 2014-2015 and I'm sure the fog lamps are different wiring too.

I just replaced the fogs with 4300K LED bulbs to match the HID and replaced the city light with a Philips LED to match as well.
do you have a pic of what that looked like when you were done? also, any clue if doing something like that would invalidate CPO/extended warranty?

·
Registered
104 Posts
do you have a pic of what that looked like when you were done? also, any clue if doing something like that would invalidate CPO/extended warranty?

Replacing bulbs will not do anything to your warranty as bulbs are not even covered under the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that looks pretty good! So you merely switched out bulbs, didn't have to mess with any wiring?

Also, does it seem like simply removing the entire headlight housing from a '15 and replacing it with '16's version would be more complicated than it is worth?

·
Registered
104 Posts
that looks pretty good! So you merely switched out bulbs, didn't have to mess with any wiring?

Also, does it seem like simply removing the entire headlight housing from a '15 and replacing it with '16's version would be more complicated than it is worth?
The LED bulbs use a standard H11 base, so it is plug and play. You access them from two panels under the chin of the bumper, held in by three nylon push clips.

Same for the city lights, they are just a 168 wedge bulb. Philips makes a nice one with a frosted white cover. Again, plug and play.

You cannot just swap 2016 + headlamp housings into a 2013-15. The shape is completely different. You'll need the entire front clip (bumper & grille). This also would require additional wiring for the DRLs and LED fog lamps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The LED bulbs use a standard H11 base, so it is plug and play. You access them from two panels under the chin of the bumper, held in by three nylon push clips.

Same for the city lights, they are just a 168 wedge bulb. Philips makes a nice one with a frosted white cover. Again, plug and play.

You cannot just swap 2016 + headlamp housings into a 2013-15. The shape is completely different. You'll need the entire front clip (bumper & grille). This also would require additional wiring for the DRLs and LED fog lamps.
Thank you for the info! Sounds like for a 2015, about the best I'll be able to do, headlight-wise, is pretty much what you did. Since the bulbs will be WAY cheaper than two new headlight housings, my wife will be happy to hear about this LOL

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

one last silly question though, by 'city lights' are you referring to the bright lights? or the parking lights? Not trying to be funny or anything, I've just never heard the term city light, so want to make sure I know which bulbs I'm looking for

·
Registered
104 Posts
one last silly question though, by 'city lights' are you referring to the bright lights? or the parking lights? Not trying to be funny or anything, I've just never heard the term city light, so want to make sure I know which bulbs I'm looking for
The headlamps are proper 4300K HIDs, there's nothing you need to do for better light output.

The city lights are the two small bulbs in the housings. Or otherwise known as parking lamps. 26011A here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The headlamps are proper 4300K HIDs, there's nothing you need to do for better light output.

The city lights are the two small bulbs in the housings. Or otherwise known as parking lamps. 26011A here.

ok, gotcha! The little bulbs that come on when you remote start the vehicle. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!! Appreciate your help!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I just ordered the new fog lights and parking lights that I wanted. On Amazon I couldn't find any 4300k ones that were white, only yellow, which looked terrible I thought. The ones I went with were white 6000k. I don't think the difference will look too terrible on the fog lights since they are so far down from the main headlights. Hopefully the parking lights look good too. You mentioned for the fog lights there were nylon push clips holding the panels shut. Are those one time use? (ie will I have to buy/obtain 6 new push clips) Or can I use the same ones to reattach the panels when I am done replacing the fog light bulbs? And for the parking/city lights, are those fairly easy to get to assumedly just popping the hood and going in from behind the headlight assembly?

Sorry if the answers are super obvious for this, I haven't had a chance to even look yet, just trying to get a feel for how difficult (or hopefully easy) these will be to get in when they arrive on Thursday. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The nylon clips can be reused. Just use a plastic / nylon tool made for removing body clips. I bought a set from Harbor Freight for a couple of bucks.

The bulbs can be accessed from behind the housings. Easier with small hands, more difficult with large hands, but it can be done. :)

Reactions: jonesy84

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sadly, with my headlight issue, I have become a pro at replacing these 3 bulbs. The process is easy, just wear gloves when handling the bulbs. A tip I can give is to look through your head light from the front as you are installing the new bulbs. You have a better view through the empty holes where your lights go and if done with the car on, you will have a bright light to guide you. The one behind the orange side marker is a bitch. I access it through the wheel well after popping off a plastic clip for room. Previously I changed this particular bulb through the engine bay, but you need to remove too many trim pieces to accomplish this. The wheel well route is easier and quicker.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
perfect! Thanks golftango and durham reality! Hopefully these won't take long to swap out over the weekend. I am guessing I'll probably have to use the jack and jackstands to get a better angle underneath for the fog lights. I tried to look under there yesterday to see what kind of clips I was working with. It was a pretty tight squeeze for me to get down there to look at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
perfect! Thanks golftango and durham reality! Hopefully these won't take long to swap out over the weekend. I am guessing I'll probably have to use the jack and jackstands to get a better angle underneath for the fog lights. I tried to look under there yesterday to see what kind of clips I was working with. It was a pretty tight squeeze for me to get down there to look at.
I would try the wheel well route for the fog lights too... I bought my tool at Auto Zone for $10 and a pack of clips just in case I break any. Once you have several clips removed that hold the wheel well liner in place, you will have a lot of access because the liner is flexible and you can sit while working instead of laying on your back.

·
Registered
104 Posts

No need for a jack or undoing the wheel well liner. I had the fogs replaced in 20 mins max on my back via the two removable panels.

Reactions: jonesy84

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, he said he barely fit under there so I offered up an alternative. If he can't fit, installing from his back probably won't work. I suggest never laying underneath a car without another person present, but that's just me...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, he said he barely fit under there so I offered up an alternative. If he can't fit, installing from his back probably won't work. I suggest never laying underneath a car without another person present, but that's just me...
You realize these panels are right under the front lip ? You don't need to put your body under the car, just your arm. Just lay on your back and look up. They are right in front of the air dam/lip thingy. I was done in 15mins. OP, check this video for reference.

https://youtu.be/rPkk2EuQu78

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You realize these panels are right under the front lip ? You don't need to put your body under the car, just your arm. Just lay on your back and look up. They are right in front of the air dam/lip thingy. I was done in 15mins. OP, check this video for reference.

https://youtu.be/rPkk2EuQu78
that video was super helpful! I don't have the T15 bit with me at work, but may stop by auto part store here in a minute and pick one up to remove the 3 screws. Thanks for the link to the video! Super helpful!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, all done. Relatively easy. The city/parking light on the passenger side was a bit tricky d/t location of washer fluid reservoir. I see what you meant about tricky to fit into. And the tip about leaving the light on to better guide it into place was a good one. Now all of my front lights are at least very close to the same white/blue color and no more ugly halogen crap up there. Thanks golftango and durham reality!! Appreciate the assists!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts