Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to get a 2015 infiniti QX60. I liked the styling, mileage and price which seem best in class alongside acura mdx, although it comes in at the lowest horsepower. While cars in America seem to have gotten into monotony of 3 colors Black, White and Silver, infiniti has some black variants like the slate and emerald graphite. I was looking for 'warm' colors and find that I don't have much choice, not only with infiniti but other brands either. Only lower end vehicles like the HONDA CRV seem to offer a wider variety of color choices.

I really loved the wheat interior, for the luxury feel it gives and the break from the monotony of black and grey, have a friend with the wheat interior on a JX 35. But with the 2015 model they seem to have made the floors black, citing the dirtiness potential in a family SUV. While that is probably OK, I don't see why they made the steering black and worse still, half the doorpads are black as well ! When it comes to luxury vehicles, people don't go around with their hands so dirty and I wish infiniti realizes that and puts the wheat interior back like it was, or atleast switch to a darker tan only on the floors like benz and some other brands! People go for the wheat interior by choice, making it black as well, just removes those choices!
I only hope the 2016 will bring better exterior/ interior color choices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dee,

I understand the frustration with the exterior colors. You see these sport cars, sedans and compacts with awesome bright loud colors and then you get to 7/8 passenger vehicles and it's bland.

However, Infiniti does have two colors I would recommend seeing in person for that warm OMG eye catching feeling. Look at Hermosa Blue and Midnight Garnet. They are both candy paint jobs and the intensity of the base color drastically changes with lighting. So you can have that eye popping color in sunshine and just a dash of color at night.

As far as the wheat interior goes the floor mats, kick plates and steering wheel are black to reduce signs of wear and tear long term. The dash, console areas, door panels and seat backs keep the wheat color. The only interior paneling to not get the wheat color is the wood trimming and the 3rd row paneling since it handles a lot of abuse since it is in the storage area in the back. Also, if you don't like the black floors negotiate some wheat floor mats in the deal. No dealer is going to cry over the $190 non-standard mats being a necessity.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
LOLZ

You should see the steering wheels of the wheat interior cars that come in. Disgusting. Take the black wheel and be happy. Or buy a replacement for a 2013JX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats some interesting suggestions Steve and Sinecure, Tan floormats and perhaps a replacement wheel might just do the trick. I am surprised the tan steering gets that dirty, perhaps its the material ? I know it said heated steering wheel in some places.
I'll check out the other exterior colors. Appreciate your suggestions, Thanks !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Have you ever had a light colored steering wheel? Every little bit of dirt, oil and grime you ever touch will leave behind a remnant... They look filthy pretty quickly and when you try to clean it, the protective top layer will wear away and make things worse. I had a gray wheel, once, and it looked really bad within a year. I can only imagine what a light one would look like.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I have the wheat interior in our JX. I just keep it detailed and haven't had any problems with dirt and stains. We did replace all interior mats with black WeatherTech mats however.

·
Registered
295 Posts
One thing to note about keeping the interior clean is to get a repellent that acts like a wax, at least then it will buy you time for cleaning up the mess and make it much harder for it to embed in the material.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you ever had a light colored steering wheel? Every little bit of dirt, oil and grime you ever touch will leave behind a remnant... They look filthy pretty quickly and when you try to clean it, the protective top layer will wear away and make things worse. I had a gray wheel, once, and it looked really bad within a year. I can only imagine what a light one would look like.
I agree. I've had a 2004 FX35 with a wheat interior and steering wheel and had the same problem. Jeans leave blue on the seats, dirt is usually dark and is much more visible on wheat colored floor mats even though mine we weather resistant rubber ones. I do realize the car is now 11 yrs old, and it was pretty dirty. When my wife was cleaning the steering wheel with some wet wipes it took off the top protective layer and now the area most used show much more wear marks especially at the very top (12 o'clock). There is a benefit to a wheat interior versus a dark one- you don't have to dust it as often.

We traded it in and hope our 2015 QX60 black exterior with java interior will serve us well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally, I really like the two-tone practicality of the wheat interior. Looks great with my Hermosa Blue QX60!

Generically, I prefer black leather interiors...or maybe dark brown. When I go into negotiation mode, we try to avoid letting colors get in the way of our decision. We will take what is in stock. For us, it is forced variety and lets us own cars with different colors.

The Wheat interior is really growing on me. It looks gorgeous and should be relatively cool in the Summer. I definitely, don't like light colored floors. My family is just not that careful. Very happy with this color combo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi YateSD... I just saw a Hermosa blue with wheat int 2016 model. I personally liked it but I have two toddlers. I am wondering what preventive measures do you take to prevent hem from stains...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi YateSD... I just saw a Hermosa blue with wheat int 2016 model. I personally liked it but I have two toddlers. I am wondering what preventive measures do you take to prevent hem from stains...
I still like the brightness of the interior contrasted against the dark floor. That being said, I am disappointed by the wheat interiors ability to get stained blue from new blue jeans. I don't remember this being an issue in other cars.

I think every interior color offers some kind of compromise, you just need to decide what matters most to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts