Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

2014 vs 2015

19K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Sinecure 
#1 ·
Hello. New to the forum. I am planing to get 2014 QX60 for my wife. we have 2 kids and planing on getting theater package and Navigation. And blind spot indicators dont come with 3 packages that I want.

1. Please tell me what you guys think about the car in general.
2. Should I wait for a 2015 model?
3. When 2014 came out?

Thank you.

#2 ·
I have the 2013 JX fully loaded with everything and knowing what I know now, wouldn't have it any other way. I'm spoiled with the safety features but really don't use the theater package much, but would't go without it either.

There are two Infiniti sales people on this fourm that shoul be able to give you the scoop on the ability to get what you want.

The 2014 I believe came out last fall. Not sure what differences you will see in 2015. If I were a bettin man, I'd look at the 2014 QX80 and Q50 to see the differences in their technological differences. From what I've seen, Nissan and Infiniti tend to roll the newer technologies in the following years models. You might see more of the social networking apps like you see on the latest Q50 and Nissan Rogue. My guess is that the 2015 models will be out around October.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi,

I can't answer questions 2 & 3 for you, but I can give you my two cents regarding your first question. I bought my QX60 on 22 Feb and I've been very happy with it. I purchased an AWD Hybrid with the Theater, Hybrid Premium and Technology Packages. It is moonlight white with the Java interior and maple accents. I've only got 750 miles on it thus far, so I'm still breaking it in, but I've been averaging 21.5 mpg. I live in Los Angles county (for now), and I routinely change 900 feet in elevation every time I go anywhere (my house is at 1000 feet elevation). I also experience mostly stop and go city driving. By comparison, my previous vehicle was a 2010 Buick Enclave AWD, and I was averaging 13-14 mpg driving it the same as I do with my QX60. My QX60 is just as quite and refined as the Buick was, and I find the ride and seats to be more comfortable.

The only negative is it's a mild hybrid (which I knew going in) and it takes a little getting use to. For example, if the engine is off (EV mode) and you quickly hit the gas, it can take approximately 2 seconds to start and put the power to the wheels. So when you first experience it, the hesitation can be a bit disconcerting. That said, when you are at a stop light and the computer shuts the engine is off, it will start again when you take your foot off the brake so you can quickly learn to anticipate it (that's the getting use to it part). More often that not however, I find that the electric motor primarily assists the gas engine, rather than operating in EV mode, especially when you have the A/C on. When the engine is on, I have not experienced any hesitation. That said, I'm still thrilled to average 21.5 mpg verses 13 mpg in a similar size, 7 passenger SUV. The mpg I am achieving vastly outweighs any negatives. If I didn't have the elevation change, I think I'd be averaging closer to 25-26 mpg.

I have two girls (5 and 8), and they love the dual screen monitors you get with the Theater package. My wife and I like them also because they don't block the view of the rear view mirror. (My Enclave had the entertainment/nav system, and the rear monitor was mounted on the ceiling. When it was down, it would block some of the view out the rear window.) I can also verify that "Let It Go" sounds awesome on the Bose 5.1 surround system, even after the 20th frickin' time....but I digress.

I was seriously considering the 2014 Highlander Hybrid (I'm impressed with Toyota's hybrid synergy drive), but when we went to go look at one, my wife hated it. The interior "syntech leather" looked cheap in my opinion -- Toyota's marketing calls it "syntech leather"--I call it vinyl. I was under the impression the redesigned Highlander had an upgraded interior. Well maybe it does, but I was very disappointed. My wife and I thought it had huge perforation holes in the "syntech leather" seats, and I thought the second row captain chair bottom seat cushions were kind of low to the floor, and the arm rests looked flimsy. I was also surprised to see the floor slope up to the 3rd row, which resulted in the 3rd row bottom seat cushion being ridiculously close the floor, your knees would be under your chin.

After the disappointment with the 2014 Highlander, my wife wanted to look at the QX60, so we stopped by our local Infiniti dealer to check one out. (I had done my research, and was concerned about the supercharged 4 in the QX60 hybrid. I also knew the hybrid in the QX60 was a mild version, so I thought the SUV would be underpowered with harsh engine. When we looked at it in person, it was night and day different--the Infiniti's interior was vastly superior to the 2014 Highlander Platinum. I found all three rows comfortable, and after a test drive which eliminated any remaining concerns, I ended up driving it home. It didn't hurt that I got a killer deal either.

So have you test driven one yet?

#4 · (Edited)
Right now I drive a hybrid Q50. My kids are older now so my need for a 3-row SUV is no more. But from 2001 until this past December, I owned/drove either a Acura MDX or Honda Pilot. They were really good vehicles. I've been selling the JX/QX60 for two years now. I love selling this car. Customers really like it, the value proposition is excellent, and other than a handful of vehicles (mostly the earlier ones) with transmission issues, it has been holding up really well.

If I were buying this vehicle for my family, here's the configuration I would get.

Non-Hybrid, Premium, Premium Plus and Driver's Assistance Packages. Here's my reasoning behind these choices:

Hybrid/Non-Hybrid: Infiniti right now makes this choice easy. I don't want the luxury features that come in the Deluxe Technology package (although I'd love cooled seats), and as such, the price delta from gas to hybrid is more like $8-9,000, rather than the nominal $3000. Also, given the mild nature of the hybrid, even at a $3K delta, it would take me a long time for the hybrid cost to pay off.

Premium and Premium Plus packages are like table stakes for a luxury car. In my opinion if you don't want the features in those packages, you're buying a gussied up Pathfinder and could save money w/out sacrificing much by buying the Mallfinder. Sure, you can navigate OK with your phone's tiny screen and Waze/Google/Apple Maps. But I've done that at it isn't as clean as using the built-in Navi. Plus I love voice commands, Infiniti Connection, Around View Monitor, etc.

Driver's Assistance: When this car first came out, a lot of us - me included - referred to these as "nanny features." No more. I've driven the car with them enough to know that even if it were just the Blind Spot Warning function, I'd want it. I love using Intelligent Cruise, DCA is really nice around town if you know you're going to be a little distracted (who isn't with kids screaming in the back). And I've heard now from countless customers that the Forward and Back Up Collision avoidance functions have literally saved their butts.

Theater: Some people are opposed to having screens in their cars because kids get more than enough screen time elsewhere to turn their eyes square. I'm not one of those people. My MDX never had theater, but I bought stand-alone DVD players for my kids to watch Toy Story 500 times on the way to/from Tahoe every weekend. I loved having the option to keep them quiet and entertained. But for the cost of the Theater package, you could buy two iPads and a whole lot of movie downloads. Unfortunately, right now Infiniti has been building nearly every QX60 with theater package so you may be getting this feature whether you want it or not.

Note: If I wanted the Deluxe Touring package, the debate between Hybrid and Gasser would be a little more difficult. My guess at the net-net: Hybrid if I planned to keep the car more than 5 years, gasser if I were leasing.

2014's started showing up in September if I remember correctly. 15's will be out this fall. I don't expect any significant changes to this vehicle for 15. Infiniti has too much else on their plate right now updating Q70, Q60, Eau Rouge. Next major redesign of this car won't be for at least two more years, probably more like 3-4 years. Infiniti has a hit with this car and they know it. It took 6-8 months for it to become our second best selling vehicle. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I'd bet we sell more QX60's than QX50's, QX70's and QX80's combined.

#10 ·
Yes, you can play movies from USB. But you have to configure them in an acceptable format (see your owners manual).

#8 ·
I tend to agree with you too. There will always be new improvements and with that usually comes additional increases in fees. When I researched the JX in waiting for the Pathfinder to come out we decided to bite the bullet and go for the luxury car. I'm so glad we did.

#9 ·
I have seen this play out over and over in many car models. In general, don't wait. If, and only if, you know a new design or reconfigure is coming out, then it may make sense to hold off and delay. Otherwise, you will be driving an obsolete car from a design perspective for a number of years. If the changes are modest, it will rarely be worth it to deprive yourself of 6 months in a new car. :)

Here, this car just came out last year and was re-branded, if you will, this year. They aren't going to mess with the big picture design until a mid model year refresh - and that is likely to be modest. So, IMHO, it would be crazy to wait.

Plus, I kind of like the car. And I didn't think I would.

Just my two cents.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.