Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm quite surprised and in a lot of pain and stressed over my so call "luxury car" purchase. Purchased my vehicle at Serra Toyota in Decatur. The wiper blades was bad, driver visor was broken (which they assured me they would fix and never did!!). Just two be stranded two weeks later due to an old corroded battery. The battery looked older than the car, I couldnt believe my eyes. I mean literally, two weeks later. Brakes squeaking, a/c not working, possibly other issues. My point of going to a dealership was to get a reliable vehicle that I could depend on. Not to have a luxury vehicle with high payments just sitting in my yard not running. HOW COULD THIS BE?!?!?!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Unfortunately, the issues you described are with the Serra Toyota Dealer who sold you the car, not Infiniti. The vehicle you purchased is 6 years old, and the 4 year/50K mile Infiniti bumper to bumper and 6yr/70K mile powertrain new vehicle warranty has expired.

The used car manager at Serra Toyota is responsible for approving all repairs on all used cars they sell. On a six-year-old car, dependability is likely going to depend on how well it was maintained before you purchase it. Was it kept in a garage or out in the weather? Was it serviced every 5000 miles as recommended by Infiniti? Most of the items you describe are normal wear and tear— with the exception of the sunvisor. The AC could have a leak, or it could be just low on Freon. However given the broken Sunvisor — probably means it wasn’t babied by the previous owners. Most reputable dealerships will inspect wear and tear items before they Offer a used car for sale on their lot. If they don’t think these items (Oil, windshield wipers, tires, brakes, battery etc.) will last at a least a year, they will replace them. Serra Toyota looks like it has a fairly high Google customer service rating, so you need to discuss these issues with their used car manager. Did they offer a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on it when you purchased it from them? Have you spoken with the used car manager and discussed the issues you’re having? Don’t talk to the salesman, talk to the manager.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
Thanks for your response! Yes, I have spoken to them right after I purchased the car, a few months ago, and again last week. If they didn't honor fixing the visor as they promised when I purchased, not sure why I even bothered contacting them anymore after that. I have several other issues. I'm quite sure that's why they traded the vehicle in. I know the vehicle is six years old, but i've only had it a year and a half. I owe $18k, the value is under $4k, and the repairs are expensive. It's a lemon...beautiful on the outside and a mess everywhere else. Who buys a luxury vehicle just to have it sit in the driveway, not operable with monthly payments? I purchased a used 2005 Chevrolet impala in 2005 and I have never had these type of issues and still have the vehicle. That was the point of getting another car. And I sat there and told them my dilemma. Needing a reliable vehicle for my kids and I. I have sick kids, a son with a disability, etc., and their doctor's are in two different States. And myself as well. It's very unfortunate to endure so many problems in just a very short time. I believe I failed to mention the tires being low and have to put air in since day one. No nail, not bald, just a bad leak. The finance manager acted as if he did me a favor by giving me a warranty that I paid for, of course. A powertrain warranty which expired already. I'm quite sure the engine or transmission will go out now. Sorry, I tried to hurry and enclose everything with a little one trying to play lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
Since you’ve owned it for a year and a half, I’m afraid you have 4 choices:

1) Take it to Infiniti (or a competent mechanic you trust) and have them give you an estimate to repair everything that is wrong with it. Keep in mind that brakes, tires, fluids (oil, brake, transmission, coolant), and air filters are all normal wear items that have to be replaced regularly as part of scheduled maintenance regardless of the brand. The A/C may have a leak and need a line replaced, or it could just be low on Freon after 6 years of use. What could you get for it if you fixed everything and sold it yourself? ( check kbb for 3rd party QX60 prices in fair condition — you’ll need to fix everything to get top dollar). What’s difference between what you could get for it if you sold it yourself in fair condition and what you owe on it?

2) See what you can get for it as a trade in as is, what is the difference between trade in value and what you owe? If you trade it, any thing you owe will be added to the price of the new car you purchase, so you will get less for your money—can you find something reliable that meets your needs for the same payment—say a used highlander or RAV4? You’d be upside down for a while, so you have to make sure it’s a reliable car—it won’t be a luxury car. Do your research. However you will still have to pay for regular scheduled maintenance.

3. Keep it and fix it. How does that compare expense wise vice trading it or selling it?

4. Do nothing, and continue to make loan, insurance, registration,...; payments on a car you can’t drive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle was $16900, payoff is $17800, payments $622. Trade in, not even worth it. My ex fiance purchased the car for me, in both of our name. The registration states "or" not "and". Very long and complicated story, more than I have disclosed, believe it or not. But, I will end up having to pay over $10k probably, give or take, to repair.
You're awesome, I appreciate your prompt responses and help. Hate I ever got tricked into getting the car, I had a bad feeling from the very beginning.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not sure I’m following, you paid $16.9K for it 18 months ago, and you have a current loan payoff of $17.8K? That doesn’t sound right. Was that the payoff 18 months ago?

How much did your fiancé finance 18 months ago, for how long, and at what interest rate?

For comparison, a $17.8k loan at a 9% interest for 36 months is only $566/month. After 18 payments, you should have a loan balance (payoff) of about $9500.

Is the $10k in repairs based on an actual estimate, or a guess on your part? Here’s my worst case guess based on what you’ve said:

A/C line replacement: $600
Wipers blades: $25
New brakes (front and rear) $600
4 new tires: $900
4 wheel alignment: $80
Transmission fluid change: $125
Brake fluid change: $125
Coolant flush $125
Lube Oil and Filter: $75

That adds to $2655, and those are Infiniti service prices.

Also, take it to Serra Toyota and make them replace the visor. Your going to have to call the sales manager and schedule an appointment with their service department. Make them come and get it. You could also tell him you’ll galdly take it to Infiniti and have them replace it and will submit the bill to him for reimbursement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts