Infiniti QX60 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the QX forum but previously owned an M45 and a Q45. The QX60 we purchased only had one fob. I have purchased a second/new one on Ebay along with a blank key (for about $50).

What is my risk of having a local locksmith do the programming. Or can I even do it myself? Or should I shell out the extra $$ to have an Infiniti dealer do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
We purchased a 1993 Nissan 300ZX and ordered two factory key fobs. Nissan wanted $135 each to program them. I went to the ZX forum and a member gave me the recipe. You might be able to Google it also. Strange way to program it, but it worked and took 3 minutes each. To give you and example, I had to be in the car with the all doors, hood and hatch closed, doors locked. Then insert the key in and out of the ignition rapidly twice, followed by hitting the unlock button on the fob. It worked. So...I'm thinking there has to be some magic way the dealership does it with the push button ignition.

Have you checked with an Infiniti and Nissan dealership to see what they charge? You would think Infiniti would do it at no cost if you purchased the car at their dealership.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I'd be very surprised if locksmith can do more than just cut the key blank. I don't think he can program the fob. I hope the fob you got works. I've had clients bring in ebay fobs that didn't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.. I'm seeing many locksmiths on the internet here in the Atlanta area that are claiming to be able to program FOBS (also known as transmitters). It looks like they charge about $100 vs. $175+ at the dealer. The question is will they screw it up and I'll end up with no FOBS that work!

The ebay FOB was purchased from Infinitinissanparts and is quaranteed to work. I matched the FCC ID to be sure.

I'll look around for a "recipe" but I don't think it can be done without a special computer component that only locksmith's and dealers could afford.

I'll keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whether you lost the key to your Infiniti or broken the remote fob, your old key got stolen and you need an extra spare keys and reprogramming the vehicle computer, we have Bacon locksmiths to provide Infiniti ignition key replacement service 24hr a day. They have a wide selection of keys for Infiniti key cut and programing, keyless entry, remote fob, trunk, door and ignition lock repair, ecu flash and reprogram.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks.. I'm seeing many locksmiths on the internet here in the Atlanta area that are claiming to be able to program FOBS (also known as transmitters). It looks like they charge about $100 vs. $175+ at the dealer. The question is will they screw it up and I'll end up with no FOBS that work!

The ebay FOB was purchased from Infinitinissanparts and is quaranteed to work. I matched the FCC ID to be sure.

I'll look around for a "recipe" but I don't think it can be done without a special computer component that only locksmith's and dealers could afford.

I'll keep the forum posted.
Yes you must go to Locksmiths in South Miami ,they are very much efficient to resolve issues of key fob programming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 3rd FOB ($120) for my QX60 on eBay. I contacted the locksmith from where I bought the FOB from and he reprogrammed for $125. I was told that newer cars need to have the FOB reprogrammed by someone and this cannot be done by a do-it-yourselfer like in the older days. The locksmith also cut me a new key as well.

The process the locksmith went through was he had to re-program all 3 key FOB's at once so when you go to get this done bring all the FOB's. Also, the third FOB will not remote start my car. The locksmith said this could be a restriction and only 2 FOB's can do this. Everything else works great.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
The easiest way to perform is to contact locksmith that can do it. Usually, he charges way less than a dealer. In the other hand, you may have signed a contract that restricts you from using 3rd person.
So, you need to be careful. I, personally, can recommend toronto locksmith. He helped me a lot when i was dealing with a door in Infiniti QX60 2014

·
Registered
6 Posts
The easiest way to perform is to contact locksmith that can do it. Usually, he charges way less than a dealer. In the other hand, you may have signed a contract that restricts you from using 3rd person.
So, you need to be careful. I, personally, can recommend toronto locksmith. He helped me a lot when i was dealing with a door in Infiniti QX60 2014
Obviously Locksmith is the easy way to handle those problems and they charge less than the dealer.Few months ago i have faced the lockout situation in car and the locksmith has helped me to open the lock and getting a new fob key.They not even charged more for that so i suggest locksmith for every lockout problems..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for providing details about Locksmith.I have also dealt with the same situation from the past ten days and was not able to find good locksmith.But you all(who have provide details of locksmith)help me.Thanks once again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just recently get my new key made by Locksmith. It took him like 10 mins. Remote Start, lock, unlock and truck are working fine. Dealership was paid for it, didn't know how much it was, but for sure cheaper than dealership. I am in lincoln, ne.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts