Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

2014 AWD QX60 60K maintenance - CVT Fluid?

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ghent96 
#1 ·
My local mechanic is advising against a CVT flush at 60K since my QX60 is now 8 years old! Says I should have done it at least once before (at 5 years). In his opinion if I do it now there is a 50% chance that the SUV will start slipping gears in 3-6 months. Any idea as to the validity of his claims? He thinks it would be better to just keep the fluids till the tranny gives up at 125k or so and then pay the 3-4k for a new one.

I am a bit torn, especially since he says he used to rebuild transmissions and has seen this happen a lot, even on Infiniti vehicles. OR should I just go ahead and get it done at the dealership who are happy to replace the CVT fluids? Please help!

#2 · (Edited)
He's right and wrong. And since you're posting his comments here it means you're second guessing his opinion. Always good to trust your gut.

I was originally told by the dealer the fluid was lifetime. Then a ton of CVT transmissions started crapping out costing $3 to 4k.

The latest recommendation is to drain (not flush) your tranny fluid with Nissan OEM every 20 to 40k miles. If you haven't experienced shuttering issues by this point then your tranny will last between 150 and 200k miles (if you maintain your fluid change interval).

My advice, get your tranny fluid drained (doesn't matter where, use OEM fluids), than again before 100k (and so on).

The Car Wizard has a number of videos about Infiniti/Nissan CVT transmissions.

#4 ·
I've done 4 partial drains/fills of 3 quarts each time using a small 12V pump through the filler neck. I drove it for few hundred clicks between each drain and fill. I figured that I've replaced most of the fluid while giving the transmission a chance to slowly adjust to new fluid.

#6 ·
Sorry to necro, but.... This sounds pretty easy and straightforward like any other vehicles transmission fluid change: drain the bottom screw plug, fill in the top screw plug. No? A Chevy dealer I got mine from says they can't do it with purchase because of a special adapter and it is a closed system. o_O. True?

#7 ·
I just changed my 2013 CVT fluid this last weekend. After draining the fluid I dropped the pan to check for metal flakes and clean the magnets. After putting the plug and pan back in place, I pulled the dipstick, added ~4 quarts of CVT fluid and was done.

At some point QX60 got rid of the dipstick (~2016) and added a fill hole on the side of the transmission. Similar to differential fluid, you fill until fluid spills out.

I would not bring the QX60 to a Chevy dealer because they isn't familiar with Infiniti/Nissan CVT's and won't have the correct fluid.

There are a few good videos on youtube that review both Infiniti CVT's.