Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
As can be expected, both of these vehicles are rated closely when it comes to fuel consumption. The QX60 stickers slightly higher in the city at 19 mpg compared to the MDX’s 18 mpg rating, but things swap on the highway where the Acura’s rating of 27 mpg trumps the Infiniti’s 25 mpg. In the real world, the MDX walked away with much better fuel economy. It beat the QX60 handily, posting an as-tested average of 24.5 mpg compared to the QX60 at a thirstier 20.3 mpg average.
good mileage from the MDX

Both are great cars.

The JX is a larger car on the inside

They called the QX60 a minivan :O

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took a peep at the MDX forum the MY2014 owners are getting low 20's mixed driving. however, if doing mostly local, the mpg drops to mid teens... while mostly highway will get mid 20's thanks to the 3 cylinder mode...

so, the only advantage MDX has over the QX is its 3 cylinder mode on the freeway.... local driving QX wins, 50/50 mixed driving, it's a tie....

I don't know how the Edmunds folks got 24.5 mpg mixed in the MDX, while only 20.5 on the QX. smells fishy to me...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going with lighter and smaller wheels on the MDX might be a better thing for some to get better mileage, not sure how much of a difference it will make but in stop/go traffic it'll help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Acura may not generally make great vehicles, but the MDX is really great. I would definitely look into it instead of the QX60. The MDX avoids the mini-van looks of the QX60. It's also never a bad thing to have better fuel economy.

Would you guys consider the MDX over the QX60?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I took a peep at the MDX forum the MY2014 owners are getting low 20's mixed driving. however, if doing mostly local, the mpg drops to mid teens... while mostly highway will get mid 20's thanks to the 3 cylinder mode...

so, the only advantage MDX has over the QX is its 3 cylinder mode on the freeway.... local driving QX wins, 50/50 mixed driving, it's a tie....

I don't know how the Edmunds folks got 24.5 mpg mixed in the MDX, while only 20.5 on the QX. smells fishy to me...
If i was shopping for a new car I'd be weary of the transmission issues on the QX. That might lean be towards the MDX.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Again, it all depends on what matters more to you...

0-60 times? better highway mpg? more proven transmission?

smoother delivery? more interior space? better price.....

I went with the QX after testing out the MDX, pathfinder, XC90, Santa Fe... very happy with the decision so far.....

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I replaced two transmissions in my last MDX. YMMV.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What happened to them? I've never heard of anyone having transmission issues on the MDX

Maybe the first generation early year models. But the later ones seem to be pretty reliable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honda/Acura has never had a good automatic tranny with their V6 engines.

My friend almost died from wrecking his TL when his tranny went out on the freeway... he was on his third transmission... I sold my TL shortly after that... even with the 100k mile warranty on the transmissions extended by Acura.

·
Registered
210 Posts
thats not good to hear.

My previous Acuras have always been fine.

Seems to be the CVTs of this era are having much more problems than any automatic transmission I've ever owned.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats not good to hear.

My previous Acuras have always been fine.

Seems to be the CVTs of this era are having much more problems than any automatic transmission I've ever owned.
CVT's are still sort of new and being an early adopter you do have to put up with issues like this. As with most things, they will perfect it over time, or just make it way less of a headache.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Nissan has pretty much nailed this technology and has a good track record. I do recall reviews on CVTs and Nissan has the best. I just drove an Infiniti G37X loaner and it was weird driving a car with a regular transmission. You can really feel the gear changes which makes for a fun ride. I do prefer the CVT on long rides because it is a smooth ride.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nissan has pretty much nailed this technology and has a good track record. I do recall reviews on CVTs and Nissan has the best. I just drove an Infiniti G37X loaner and it was weird driving a car with a regular transmission. You can really feel the gear changes which makes for a fun ride. I do prefer the CVT on long rides because it is a smooth ride.
It's definitely going to be different for everyone. While some people hate how boring a CVT can be, some people will rather have the automatic since it makes the vehicle feel more alive.

Still can't wait for a DCT to one day be in an Infiniti like this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
really? it seems like alot of the complaints online about CVT have revolved around Nissan CVTs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts