LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wheel spacer question

Hey all,

So I screwed up and in my mad dash to finish my QX60 rebuild a couple weeks ago, my dad and I ran to Pull-a-Part to get Maxima wheels (exact fit). All the Maxima wheels there were trashed, but there was a complete set of 04 Murano wheels which were in great shape, I *THOUGHT* (in 94° heat) that they were the same as the 18" QX60 wheels, but that only became the case in 08+.

The OEM 18" wheels on the QX60 have the following fitment:

7.5Jx18 ET50; 5x114.3; M12 x 1.25; 66.1

However the OEM 18" wheels on the 04 Murano have teh following fitment (difference bolded):

7.5Jx18 ET35; 5x114.3; M12 x 1.25; 66.1

My understanding of this all is that because the correct wheels have an offset of 50mm and these of 35mm, I'm going to need a 15mm spacer to bridge the gap and get the Murano wheels into spec, or am I understanding this incorrectly and I the winter wheels will simply sit 15mm further outwards from the center of the vehicle?

Newbie mistake.

Schöne Grüße aus Deutschland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Have you tried putting them on and seeing if they spin OK? That's what I'd do. I think they're going to fit and work fine, but I always get offset backwards. Test on a front wheel - always bigger brakes in front. Just bolt one on lightly and see if it spins freely.

++++++++

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So i figured it out -- the wheel will stick out 15mm more on each side, no spacer necessary. I don't think this will prove to be a problem.

Should it not work out, then I'll grab a set of Murano wheels here locally, which admittedly is what I should have done in the first place.

On a side note -- I see you work at an Infiniti dealer. You friendly with one of your tech guys there who is especially versed in Consult-III?

I'm wanting to direct swap in a used gauge cluster into my vehicle, as opposed to pulling both the new cluster and donor cluster apart and face-swapping them. Chalk it up to laziness.

Every dealer I chatted with in the Atlanta are about this was less than forthcoming as soon as I started talking about swapping gauge clusters -- I then got the suburban housewife treatment "Yes, its very complicated, come in and we'll do it for ya' only costs $1,300"

Thoughts?

Last edited by Gatriel; 09-17-2018 at 03:29 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
That should be fine. In fact, it will probably look good.

My guys seem to think the cluster swap should work. Plug and play. But you may have the wrong mileage displayed. I'm not sure if that's part of the gauge cluster or some other computer. I think the answer was try it and see what happens.

++++++++

I'm a salesperson at an
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Last edited by Sinecure; 09-20-2018 at 02:34 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
So i figured it out -- the wheel will stick out 15mm more on each side, no spacer necessary. I don't think this will prove to be a problem.

Should it not work out, then I'll grab a set of Murano wheels here locally, which admittedly is what I should have done in the first place.

On a side note -- I see you work at an Infiniti dealer. You friendly with one of your tech guys there who is especially versed in Consult-III?

I'm wanting to direct swap in a used gauge cluster into my vehicle, as opposed to pulling both the new cluster and donor cluster apart and face-swapping them. Chalk it up to laziness.

Every dealer I chatted with in the Atlanta are about this was less than forthcoming as soon as I started talking about swapping gauge clusters -- I then got the suburban housewife treatment "Yes, its very complicated, come in and we'll do it for ya' only costs $1,300"

Thoughts?
That's correct. Lower offset = wheel sticks out more. Just make sure that you use the correct lug nuts, your OEM is mag type, and Murano is cone shaped. Also, it needs to be on for at least 10 full turns - the recommendation is that the engaged thread length must be the same as the diameter of the stud. So 12mm / 1.25mm (thread step) = 9.6 turns. I had to do the same excercise when putting a 2016 Murano wheels on my 2017 QX60.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
That should be fine. In fact, it will probably look good.

My guys seem to think the cluster swap should work. Plug and play. But you may have the wrong mileage displayed. I'm not sure if that's part of the gauge cluster or some other computer. I think the answer was try it and see what happens.
Thanks for the Info. Infiniti dealer in Berlin seems to agree with your guys, so once the car arrives I'll just swap it and post my results.

As far as the wheels go -- see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_phil View Post
That's correct. Lower offset = wheel sticks out more. Just make sure that you use the correct lug nuts, your OEM is mag type, and Murano is cone shaped. Also, it needs to be on for at least 10 full turns - the recommendation is that the engaged thread length must be the same as the diameter of the stud. So 12mm / 1.25mm (thread step) = 9.6 turns. I had to do the same excercise when putting a 2016 Murano wheels on my 2017 QX60.
So I ended up grabbing a set of 18" 2008 Murano wheels and put the new winter tires on them. Part of it was a question of logistics, the other issue is the notorious/infamous German auto safety inspection ("TüV")

When putting an imported car through the TüV for the first time -- its always best to keep it as close to "oem" as possible. I'll just sell the 2004 Murano wheels I have in the car once its arrives and should essentially break-even.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page