User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Tire Recommendation?

I just purchased a used 2014 QX60 AWD, fully loaded with 20" wheels. I knew going in that the tires on the vehicle have no life remaining and will need to be replaced asap. I stopped by at a local discount tire and the rep steered me towards Yokohama YK740. I have seen some on this forum speak highly of the Falken Pro G4 A/S.

Considering this would be my first purchase for the vehicle, and something that contributes greatly to the ride, are there any recommendations? I am looking for the best value for the money all-season tires that get me a comfortable ride, good handling with low road noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've got a 2013 w/ 28k miles and we haven't needed tires so far. But just looking at the Yokos based on discount tire's website
the YK740 and the GO55s are the same specs except the GO55 has a 65k mile warranty.
The YK740 is $170 while the GO55 is $142. The YK740 is a discount tire Exclusive. (big whoop?) Don't get me wrong, I buy all my tires there, but it seems like they were just pushing you for a tire w/ a higher profit margin.
If the two tires are the same in compound, it doesn't seem to be a great tire.
See the GO55 review from tire rack here.
Tire Test Results : Testing Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires: Evolution Improves the Breed

Comparing tires within the same UTQG of 740 AA, I find the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus
That has a great rating based on the review
This is $165

On the same list in the review, but a little wider size is the Continental Crosscontact LX20 @ $165
I think this fits, but the size is 255/55R20 whereas OEM is 235/55R20
The treadwear is a little lower, 680 not 740.

I couldn't find any Falkens in the OEM size, only 255/50R20 (there may be others in 18" tires)
The ZIEX CT50 A/S @ $200 with a treadwear of 300, it's not likely it will last very long.

So based only on this data, and not any experience of driving on any of them, I would choose them in this order
1. Continental (better review, seems to be great for Dry/Wet)
2. Pirelli (slightly lower review than #1 , Better fuel economy, seems to be better for Snow/Winter)
3. Yoko GO55
4. Yoko YK740

As a comparison, the OEM is a 440 AA tire.

Of note, Bridgestone also makes a 265/50R20 tire
The Dueler H/L Alenza Plus
It's $198 and 800 AA. But no tirerack reviews unfortunately. I would put this on par w/ the Yokos YK740. It's probably a "better" rated tire than the Yokos, but the price is a premium because of the bridgestone name.

So take this for what you will. Hope it helps.
MarengoMac and humvet like this.

Last edited by Thorin78; 01-19-2017 at 10:53 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, for a detailed explanation and suggestions.
Looking through the review of Pirelli, a lot of people are complaining about traction in the snow. That won't work, since i live in the midwest.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sure thing.
Yes, even the review from tirerack says that the Pirelli's weren't the best in winter. Hankook took that one.

I only looked at tires in the same tread wear. There are others that are lower than 680 that might be better for winter. The lowest temp in san diego is 40F so, ya, not much winter. We drive to snow areas once every 4 years, maybe.

I don't know how bad the winters are in the area you live, so it might be worth getting a pair of winter only tires, 18" rims.

Or if you think the OEM Bridgestones are good, it's actually rated higher than the Continental and the Pirelli
Tire Test Results : Testing Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires: Can Some of the Newest Help Yours Drive More Like a Car?

440 treadwear and $205 each.

In the same 600 treadwear range are the Bridgestone Ecopia and the Michelin Premier LTX

Last edited by Thorin78; 01-20-2017 at 10:31 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I am considering MICHELIN PREMIER LTX. The reviews seem to be good. Anyone using them on this vehicle?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:11 PM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I replaced the original Bridgestone tires on my former JX with Falken Tires and noticed an immediate difference in smoothness and on slippery pavement. They were about $125 each and I would not hesitate to put them on the QX60 or my other vehicles when the time comes.
MarengoMac likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelss View Post
I am considering MICHELIN PREMIER LTX. The reviews seem to be good. Anyone using them on this vehicle?
The guy right above you said, "In the same 600 treadwear range are the Bridgestone Ecopia and the Michelin Premier LTX".

I think he means that he is talking about them being in the same range as the OEM Bridgestones.

But I am with you, those are the ones I was interested in. I just looked up what the best tires were for the Infiniti QX60. They came up.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Can I butt in here and ask, rather than creating a new thread? Like OP, I bought the car used, and knowing I need to replace tires. I got quoted $250/tire at Midas + $25 for install and balance. So $1,100 for all four. Seems a bit steep. Those were for Michelin Latitudes. I'm willing to pay the price for the optimal tires for road safety (dry/wet, no snow) and a quiet cabin. More interested in those two than fuel economy, but sure, I can consider tires that also improve fuel economy. I can't rely on the recommendations to OP as he's got the 20" rims, where I got the not-as-cool 18" rims. What would you recommend for safety and little to no road noise? Thanks!

2014 Infiniti QX60 AWD (every available feature except tow package)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Ford Escape Titanium
2014 Toyota Camry SE
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 09:28 AM

I'd like to chime in, and say I would not recommend Pirelli. I've had very bad luck with them, and they don't perform in the snow. Im in Chicago. Ive had great success with all Michelin tires. But recently started to read great things on Yokohama.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard of Falken Ziex CT60 A/S, they have 70k mike warranty and tread wear of 740. Only $142 at Tire Rack.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page