tpms question - Infiniti QX60 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
tpms question

im planning on a rolling on a new set of wheels pretty soon and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience w/ adding new TPMS sensors. i will be keeping the stock 18s for winter while i roll on a new set of wheels. hence the need for new TPMS.
were you able to clear out the error on the computer and if so, what procecure did you follow? also which TPMS did you end up purchasing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
TPMS will auto-sync with your vehicle so there isn't anything you need to do.

Also, the TPMS battery typically lasts 4 to 7 years (according to Discount Tire's promotional materials) so your winter tires should be fine come spring.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

unless ssomething changed about these cars specifically ive read that when addign a new set of tpms you'll need to sync them to the car which is typically done through a dealer or through some diy step procedure that ive seen on older infinitis. just not clear as to whether it works on these cars.
my plan is to get a new set of tpms(which ones TBD) for the 2nd set of wheels. if they'll autosync great but i cant imagine this being the case as i think there needs to be some sort of pairing that needs to happen.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

several documented threads on how to relearn. here is one i found that seems to work for many:
Reset TPMS Warning By Yourself For FREE!!! - MyG37

another option is take your car to some select discount tire direct/americas tire shop where they can re-learn for free as long as you buy tires from them.

Last edited by venomous99; 10-16-2015 at 11:27 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I've read various reports on this. My own techs all tell me you have to re-program the new wheels - but I'm convinced none of them have ever tried the other stuff because, why would they? Please report back on your experience.

++++++++

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We had a 2013 QX60-Lite (Pathfinder). It was a Platinum with 20" wheels and slippery all-season tires. I bought a set of real Nissan Murano "snow flake" 18" wheels for Blissak snow tires, and put real Nissan TPMS sensors in them. I had heard that the car would need to be reprogrammed to read the new sensor ID's, so as soon as I put the snows on (at home), I headed towards the dealer. After driving about a mile, at the same place on the road where my OEM sensors would read, the new sensors read all by themselves. I turned around and went home with the $75 reprogram fee still in my wallet. Cool, that!

We sold the PF, but I kept the snow tire set up. We got a 2015 QX60 in June, on which I planned to use those same snows. Made sense to me, the PF and QX sensors are the same Nissan part number. Just checking, although it was summer, I put the snowflake snows on the QX for a test to confirm (shown in the pic). I headed out on my usual route, and they read at the same place on the road.

Soooo... two out of two PF/QX cars I've owned read automatically without issues. They don't need to be re-programmed. And there is no "quadrant" position orientation that needs to be updated.

That being said, for the kids' Subaru snow tires, I put Orange brand aftermarket sensors on. They required the OEM sensor's ID to be cloned to write to the Orange to fool the car. It worked, but they died a year later. I won't use aftermarket TPMS even if they are half the cost. It's not worth it.

PS: This may hurt some peoples' feelings, but the PF and QX are the same except for the styling and extra creature comforts on the QX. So if you find some Pathfinder or Murano wheels for snow tires, nab them, they fit perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0701151942.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	2537  

Last edited by FatBikeGuy; 10-18-2015 at 10:31 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBikeGuy View Post
We had a 2013 QX60-Lite (Pathfinder). It was a Platinum with 20" wheels and slippery all-season tires. I bought a set of real Nissan Murano "snow flake" 18" wheels for Blissak snow tires, and put real Nissan TPMS sensors in them. I had heard that the car would need to be reprogrammed to read the new sensor ID's, so as soon as I put the snows on (at home), I headed towards the dealer. After driving about a mile, at the same place on the road where my OEM sensors would read, the new sensors read all by themselves. I turned around and went home with the $75 reprogram fee still in my wallet. Cool, that!

We sold the PF, but I kept the snow tire set up. We got a 2015 QX60 in June, on which I planned to use those same snows. Made sense to me, the PF and QX sensors are the same Nissan part number. Just checking, although it was summer, I put the snowflake snows on the QX for a test to confirm (shown in the pic). I headed out on my usual route, and they read at the same place on the road.

Soooo... two out of two PF/QX cars I've owned read automatically without issues. They don't need to be re-programmed. And there is no "quadrant" position orientation that needs to be updated.

That being said, for the kids' Subaru snow tires, I put Orange brand aftermarket sensors on. They required the OEM sensor's ID to be cloned to write to the Orange to fool the car. It worked, but they died a year later. I won't use aftermarket TPMS even if they are half the cost. It's not worth it.

PS: This may hurt some peoples' feelings, but the PF and QX are the same except for the styling and extra creature comforts on the QX. So if you find some Pathfinder or Murano wheels for snow tires, nab them, they fit perfectly.
im hoping thats the case that somehow the QX60/pathfinders automatically sync/pair to the new sensors.. i got the same nissan sensors that are on the pathfinder and QX60. the pathfinder chrome wheels look pretty good on white on your other thread. style very similar to the OEM 20s found on the QX60..had to do a double take to realize they werent QX60 wheels. i would think as long as you're keeping the wheels within the same family we wont get ragged too much. im actually putting on some 2009 FX50 wheels on mine after i get em powder coated gunmetal.

Last edited by venomous99; 10-19-2015 at 11:11 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

*update: got the new wheels on w/ the new TPMS sensors. the good news is
the computer picked up the sensors automatically after a few miles w/out having to tinker anything else. they updated serially one by one starting from the passenger side.
these were tpms sensors i purchased new from ebay for 90 bucks. part number is: 40700-3JA0A
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous99 View Post
*update: got the new wheels on w/ the new TPMS sensors. the good news is
the computer picked up the sensors automatically after a few miles w/out having to tinker anything else. they updated serially one by one starting from the passenger side.
these were tpms sensors i purchased new from ebay for 90 bucks. part number is: 40700-3JA0A
That's good info, thanks for the confirmation.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Told ya. Too bad all cars can't be this easy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page