4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeng5040 View Post
Here is a prove that OP's number is possible to accomplish. I fill it up yesterday, 363.3 miles driven, 20% Highway & 80% suburb commute, trip computer shows 27.9 MPG, filled 14.23 gallons, hand calculation shows 25.5 MPG

I use 87 gas only, and car is in 100% ECO mode with 35 cold PSI. My next tank will be in standard mode, I want to see if these number possible in standard mode...

Let me know if you have any question

let me know how it goes in standard mode. I am continuing my own similar experiment but in the reverse order. I had been somewhat thoughtfully tracking my mileage in sport and standard modes for various driving types, stop/go and highway. On my last fill up I finally remembered to both reset the numbers on the dash AND put the truck in ECO mode. I will look forward to tracking a couple tanks on ECO mode to see what it does to mileage. My findings between sport and standard were minimally different. As I expected, standard mode was, on average, just about .5 mpg better consistently. I am using 87 octane for all of these quasi-scientific studies (though different pumps from different stations as well as many other slight variables). After I finish several tanks of ECO driving w/ ECO pedal on, I might even go into settings and mess w/ the ECO pedal setting and see if that produces tangible differences or not.

I also have to believe that part of your mileage differences compared to mine in particular is attributable to the difference in model years from 2017 (yours) to 2015 (mine). Obviously nothing drastically different, but I have to believe that two additional years of engineering tweaks to the engine potentially could create 2-3 mpg gains. Plus somewhere in that gap there was a hp gain so clearly some engine tinkering has gone on between '15 and '17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy84 View Post
let me know how it goes in standard mode. I am continuing my own similar experiment but in the reverse order. I had been somewhat thoughtfully tracking my mileage in sport and standard modes for various driving types, stop/go and highway. On my last fill up I finally remembered to both reset the numbers on the dash AND put the truck in ECO mode. I will look forward to tracking a couple tanks on ECO mode to see what it does to mileage. My findings between sport and standard were minimally different. As I expected, standard mode was, on average, just about .5 mpg better consistently. I am using 87 octane for all of these quasi-scientific studies (though different pumps from different stations as well as many other slight variables). After I finish several tanks of ECO driving w/ ECO pedal on, I might even go into settings and mess w/ the ECO pedal setting and see if that produces tangible differences or not.

I also have to believe that part of your mileage differences compared to mine in particular is attributable to the difference in model years from 2017 (yours) to 2015 (mine). Obviously nothing drastically different, but I have to believe that two additional years of engineering tweaks to the engine potentially could create 2-3 mpg gains. Plus somewhere in that gap there was a hp gain so clearly some engine tinkering has gone on between '15 and '17.
2017 is the first year for the direct injection, other than that, I don't know any other difference

Chicago 2017 QX60 AWD Deluxe + Theater
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
okay, quick update. 2017 QX60 AWD, Just filled up yesterday, regular 87 gas, 8 oz of marvel oil, 100% local driving (no highway), standard mode only, hand calculated, 35 PSI cold, 25.1 MPG over 389 miles, and trip computer showed 26.3 MPG.

This MPG is unbelievable for a heavy 3 rows SUV like QX60, this also means that standard mode doesn't use any more gas than ECO mode with the same driving condition. So, no more ECO mode for me.

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeng5040 View Post
okay, quick update. 2017 QX60 AWD, Just filled up yesterday, regular 87 gas, 8 oz of marvel oil, 100% local driving (no highway), standard mode only, hand calculated, 35 PSI cold, 25.1 MPG over 389 miles, and trip computer showed 26.3 MPG.

This MPG is unbelievable for a heavy 3 rows SUV like QX60, this also means that standard mode doesn't use any more gas than ECO mode with the same driving condition. So, no more ECO mode for me.
I agree, the MPG display is only an estimate based on a number of factors. I don't think it's possible for the vehicle to get as accurate as you've stated unless they add better/more sensors.

BTW, what's the marvel oil for?

This guy says don't do it, then again not sure if he knows what he's talking about.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeller View Post
I agree, the MPG display is only an estimate based on a number of factors. I don't think it's possible for the vehicle to get as accurate as you've stated unless they add better/more sensors.

BTW, what's the marvel oil for?

This guy says don't do it, then again not sure if he knows what he's talking about.
He is the ONLY video that tell people don't do it based on my research. I put marvel gas to clean the injector and boost gas mileage. I also put it in the oil. I used marvel oil in my 2008 Honda with 120k miles so far, and it does wonders.

And yes, trip computer for me is always higher than actual MPG, still 25.1 actual MPG is awesome for 100% non-highway driving

post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My last two tanks on my '15 with ECO mode on and with 87 octane fuel were 21.4 and 21.8 mpg, both with primarily stop and go driving, maybe 30% highway, at best. Just barely better mileage than standard mode, but not sure if the .5ish mpg is worth the annoyance of having a heavy pedal (yes, I know I can adjust that setting). So clearly the mechanical upgrades from '15 to '17 are pretty significant in terms of fuel savings. I would LOVE to get 25ish mpg in a vehicle of this size. Even so, I am not losing sleep over getting "only" 21.5ish mpg. Still not hateful on an SUV of this stature

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page