LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy84 View Post
Good gracious! Those numbers blow my mind! Best I've seen on my dash screen for MPG have been about 21.7ish! and that was on a tank w/ mostly highway driving. I've read enough articles to not put much stock in the theory of higher octane gas giving better mileage numbers, so I use 87 octane as well. Granted mine is 2015 so perhaps some modifications also made relating to fuel economy. Additionally I do NOT drive near the speed limit, so I am certain if I stick to the cruise control being around 68-70 I would get noticeably better mileage. Also, I have yet to do a manual calculation, despite seeing on here that most get different MPG numbers than the dash readout, so I do plan on doing that to see how different the results are.

on a sidenote, I have done some very unscientific tests running entire tanks on eco, normal, and sport modes. Can't honestly say I've noticed any real difference in MPG for any of the modes. But again, unscientific testing, to say the least
I know these are good number, although not as good as OP's, I am pretty happy about it. I am running on ECO mode almost all the time. Like one of the poster stated, tire pressure matters. Mine is at 36 PSI cold on 20" wheel. Maybe you should check yours and that may impact your MPG number and ride quality.

Chicago 2017 QX60 AWD Deluxe + Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy84 View Post
Good gracious! Those numbers blow my mind! Best I've seen on my dash screen for MPG have been about 21.7ish! and that was on a tank w/ mostly highway driving. I've read enough articles to not put much stock in the theory of higher octane gas giving better mileage numbers, so I use 87 octane as well. Granted mine is 2015 so perhaps some modifications also made relating to fuel economy. Additionally I do NOT drive near the speed limit, so I am certain if I stick to the cruise control being around 68-70 I would get noticeably better mileage. Also, I have yet to do a manual calculation, despite seeing on here that most get different MPG numbers than the dash readout, so I do plan on doing that to see how different the results are.

on a sidenote, I have done some very unscientific tests running entire tanks on eco, normal, and sport modes. Can't honestly say I've noticed any real difference in MPG for any of the modes. But again, unscientific testing, to say the least
Sorry to be a party pooper, but these High MPG numbers are not correct. The MPG numbers being reported are based on the in car MPG calculator which is not accurate -- this has been an issue for years -- there are a lot of posts on this subject here in this forum. Bottom-line, Infiniti biases the MPG calculator to show a higher MPG number than what you're actually getting, most people report the QX60 MPG calculator is 10-25% higher than what they actually achieved based on calculating the MPG using the pump method, which is more accurate.

If the posters above will reset their trip computer at the next fill up, then on the following fill up divide the miles they drove (as shown on the trip computer) by the number of gallons it takes to fill the car back up, the calculated MPG will be less than what the car MPG calculator is reporting -- guaranteed. This is called the pump method. They can also use fuelly on the PC, or download the fuelly app.

Last edited by Rooster; 05-31-2019 at 11:06 PM.
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Man, if they are inflating my mpg calculations then WTF am I actually getting when it shows 19mpg?! I have never got the numbers these users talk about and if the numbers are false, then ****... Maybe the Range Rovers mileage wasn't so bad😉
jonesy84 likes this.

From my Brain to Yours...

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Reality View Post
Man, if they are inflating my mpg calculations then WTF am I actually getting when it shows 19mpg?! I have never got the numbers these users talk about and if the numbers are false, then ****... Maybe the Range Rovers mileage wasn't so bad😉
Based on the fact your vehicle’s calculated MPG is realistic, it sounds like the fuel flow sensor in your vehicle is one of the more accurate ones -- I'd guess it's only off by 5-10%. So if it’s measuring 19 MPG, 5-10% equates to 1-2 MPG, meaning your true MPG is probably more like 17-18 MPG. Only way to get an estimate of the error is to hand calculate your MPG using the pump method. The accuracy of the pump method will depend on how much is in the tank when full, so ideally the gallons of gas in the full tank should be the same. The best way to do that is to use the same gas station fuel pump for both tanks -- and make sure the station fuel pump has been calibrated recently (should be a sticker on the pump). Fill the tank until the fuel pump cuts off, wait 30 seconds, then squeeze the pump handle again until it cuts off a second time, then stop. Before you start the car and drive off, reset your mileage trip meter and the MPG calculator in your car. Drive the car as normal until the fuel gauge is close to empty, the go to the same pump at the same gas station and fill the tank up using the same procedure described above. Before you leave, write down how much gas in gallons it took to fill the car up, the miles you traveled, and the car's MPG computer estimate of your MPG. When you get home, divide the miles you traveled, by the gallons it took to fill the tank, and compare that number to what the car MPG computer calculated. Do this for 5 fill ups and you'll get a sense of the accuracy of the MPG computer in your QX60. Perhaps you’ll discover that your vehicle is the unicorn, and your MPG computer is accurate!
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Based on the fact your vehicle’s calculated MPG is realistic, it sounds like the fuel flow sensor in your vehicle is one of the more accurate ones -- I'd guess it's only off by 5-10%. So if it’s measuring 19 MPG, 5-10% equates to 1-2 MPG, meaning your true MPG is probably more like 17-18 MPG. Only way to get an estimate of the error is to hand calculate your MPG using the pump method. The accuracy of the pump method will depend on how much is in the tank when full, so ideally the gallons of gas in the full tank should be the same. The best way to do that is to use the same gas station fuel pump for both tanks -- and make sure the station fuel pump has been calibrated recently (should be a sticker on the pump). Fill the tank until the fuel pump cuts off, wait 30 seconds, then squeeze the pump handle again until it cuts off a second time, then stop. Before you start the car and drive off, reset your mileage trip meter and the MPG calculator in your car. Drive the car as normal until the fuel gauge is close to empty, the go to the same pump at the same gas station and fill the tank up using the same procedure described above. Before you leave, write down how much gas in gallons it took to fill the car up, the miles you traveled, and the car's MPG computer estimate of your MPG. When you get home, divide the miles you traveled, by the gallons it took to fill the tank, and compare that number to what the car MPG computer calculated. Do this for 5 fill ups and you'll get a sense of the accuracy of the MPG computer in your QX60. Perhaps you’ll discover that your vehicle is the unicorn, and your MPG computer is accurate!
I found the trip computer in the car is 1.4 to 1.8 MPG higher than hand calculation, but with hand calculation, I am still getting 24+ MPG with 50% Chicago suburban commute driving. No complaint.
jonesy84 likes this.

post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Garage
Honestly, I don't get it.... I looked at your car, wheels and specs. You have several hundred pounds over my vehicles weight. I even checked your rims weight vs my alloy rims weight, your added features weights, spare tire I don't carry, roof rack, people, etc and you come out ahead with far more weight. I don't carry the jack, spare tire, a family your size and have less options. Granted my tire pressure is lower than yours, we wake up to it being 65° and by noon it's 95°, so my pressure fluctuates. Other than driving style, I don't have a clue why our same models produce such different results in mileage. How high and often do you run your A/C? Great topic and thanks for your input, it helps!

post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Reality View Post
Honestly, I don't get it.... I looked at your car, wheels and specs. You have several hundred pounds over my vehicles weight. I even checked your rims weight vs my alloy rims weight, your added features weights, spare tire I don't carry, roof rack, people, etc and you come out ahead with far more weight. I don't carry the jack, spare tire, a family your size and have less options. Granted my tire pressure is lower than yours, we wake up to it being 65° and by noon it's 95°, so my pressure fluctuates. Other than driving style, I don't have a clue why our same models produce such different results in mileage. How high and often do you run your A/C? Great topic and thanks for your input, it helps!
Car in ECO mode all the time. ECO pedal is at SOFT setting. AC is on all the time, temp set to 68, non-auto. Chicago wake up around 55 F and noon at 85 F. Jack, spare tire, everything is in the car.

I am trying to reproduce the 30+ highway or 26+ non-highway MPG that OP posted, so far no success... I am close, but not there...

Last edited by wpeng5040; 06-02-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Here's a link to an older forum post that is still relevant. Real world QX60 gas mileage using Fuelly data -- will allow you see what is considered normal MPG range.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Looks good Rooster! You put in some work there and it makes me feel better about my driving and fuel economy. Great info and some things I can use on my next trip to maximize results. Both of you folks are putting good info out and I appreciate Rooster's scientific approach. Good stuff!

post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Here's a link to an older forum post that is still relevant. Real world QX60 gas mileage using Fuelly data -- will allow you see what is considered normal MPG range.
I won't look into fuelly too much, because that is not a controlled environment. I personally fuelly to track my own usage. I saw many people with 50+ or even 100+ MPG in the QX60, which is, IMHO, impossible. Here is my take, use EPA's number as the avg number and try to beat it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page