LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
2014 Infiniti QX60 Rebuild

Hey everyone,

So first, many thanks for everyone the past couple weeks dealing with my fairly random questions at times. I've finally purchased and received delivery of my "new" (to me) QX60.

The vehicle currently has 58,460 miles on it -- and it'll likely stay in that area for some time. Why? I purchased it at salvage auction for $8,550. The vehicle is fully-loaded with every conceivable option (including 4WD) except the trailer hitch, and I'll be retrofitting one on there in the coming months.

As stated previously, I have a growing family, but in typical millennial fashion I am horribly scared of collateralized debt tied to a depreciating asset. I wanted something newer, with fewer miles than our current 2011 BMW 320d, but here in Germany a seven-seater that has the room the QX60 has will set you back around $65k used. I almost bought a couple months ago a 2017 QX60 at salvage auction which had problems in Harvey (Clear Lake Infiniti in Houston) with 217 miles on it, but sales price was $20k and I just didn't want to part with that much cash.

If any of you guys are curious as to how salvage auctions work, I've gotten really versed in the process and how the auctions operate -- feel free to ask any questions should you guys desire. There are some AMAZING QX60s, which, if mechanically inclined are easy fixes going for the cheap constantly.

My specimen came from Herb Chambers Infiniti in Boston and lived the first four years of life in the Boston-metro area. Then, in March of this year there was a massive snow storm and a Nor'easter and in one of these two events - a fairly substantial pine branch fell just to the drivers side of the center light switch and overhead console directly between the roof line and windshield, causing the front sunroof to shatter and collapse.

I had the car delivered to my father's house and I'll be flying over to the US in September to do most of the rebuild work on it. In the meantime, my father is doing some fairly substantial work to it as well. I'm wanting to keep you guys looped in, as these forums are great sources of knowledge and I want to contribute my part.

Anyways to the photos:

I'm mentally compartmentalizing this repair into three "boxes" -- exterior, interior and miscellaneous.

Some of the parts I'll be using for this will be from donor vehicles, while others will be new. It will depend on price, ability to acquire used vs new and part location.

Exterior

Exterior is obvious what got trashed, but apart from cosmetic damage to the driver's side A-pillar the car's frame did its job and the area outboard of the roof rails didn't move side to side at all; the doors open and close as if nothing happened.

As a caveat -- neither my dad nor I have ever done body work before and we honestly have no idea what we are doing. However, YouTube is the best educator these days and through channels such as SamCrac, B is for Build and others I feel this is very doable. I also got my hands on the entire 3,000 some-odd pages of the 14 QX's FSM, so we have factory instructions to work off of as well.

After doing a little bit of research -- I came to the conclusion it would be financially advantageous to purchase the roof panel, sun roof and roof support used. Because paintwork is always a bear and you will never replicate the quality of a factory paint job in a shop, I found a donor vehicle out of Illinois with the same color code as my QX. I purchased the entire "top clip" of the vehicle where the junkyard turns the donor QX60 into a permanent-convertible. Pictures:

It'll get shipped out in the next few days.

Parts I am still missing to complete this "box":

Headliner - 73910-3JU3A
Exterior Top Windshield Moulding - 727523JA0A
Right Windshield Fastener Moulding - 727263JA0A (maybe)
Right Windshield Moulding - 727623JA0A (maybe)
Windshield and Rain Sensor - (Safelite)
Rain Sensor Cover - 26497-3JA0A
Lane Keep Assist Camera - 284G23JA0B (maybe)
Lane Keep Assist Camera Cover - part number unknown
Rearview mirror cover - 96329-5Z200
Sun visor holder clips (2x) - 96409-3JS0A

It seems the rearview mirror survived intact as did overhead dome light, but from salvage vehicles they are very inexpensive. If I have to end up replacing them -- its not the end of the world.

Interior

When the tree/branch fell on the vehicle, part of it went right through the front sunroof and punctured the interior sunroof cover, turning into a funnel more or less, dumping not only rain/snow melt between the drivers seat and the steering wheel into the floor, but debris as well, leaves, sticks, pollen, and millions (it seems) of tine pieces of glass, some large enough to pick up with your hands, others so small you can only recognize them as glass when they sparkle in the sunshine.

Both my dad and I have "experience" doing car interior work, so this part of the job concerns me not.

Needless to say the interior car is dirty and wet. We'll be replacing the carpet with new (part number 74902-3JA1B) and deep cleaning the rest, sans headline which will obviously be replaced -- hopefully with a used part as the headliner by itself is over $1,000. However, getting headliners from salvage yards is though -- first those where the side curtain airbag deployed are destroyed, single-use items, then you've got windows and doors that get removed, sunroofs that get removed, etc., etc., and the headliner gets exposed to the elements for months at a time, so finding a sealed car without side-impact airbag deployment is materially more difficult than anticipated.

Misc.

This section will include trailer-hitch retrofit, converting the car to EU-spec, pads and rotor replacement, tires replacement, and misc. other stuff needed to get this car ready to go to Germany.

More to come later
MarengoMac likes this.

Last edited by Gatriel; 06-20-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
On an aside, please excuse typos -- it was just after 6 a.m. my time when I wrote this and I hadn't been fully caffeinated yet. Where is the 'Edit' button -- I cannot find it.

*UPDATE*

So after we took delivery -- my dad gave everything a 'once over' and apart from the obvious damage and it being very dirty it received a clean bill of health. *HOWEVER*, the radio/nav and HVAC controls wouldn't work. The screen would come on, but the radio wasn't playing, no button input did anything and the blower was blowing room temperature air at full blast.

Further, we were experiencing intermittent window problems. Sometimes drivers side window wouldn't work -- then pass. side window wouldn't work, and then back again.

My dad sent me a picture of the car battery:

Now previously in life to get myself through college I did car audio and alarm install work at Car Toys, Circuit City (RIP) and Best Buy for almost six years. I know first hand what a failing/failed battery will do to a vehicle's behavior and now with these 'new-fangled' power management systems -- I immediately decided to swap the battery.

First, the corrosion is horrible. Second, the battery looks like the OEM one, meanings its almost five years old and its time anyhow. Third, I figured the battery was on the way out.

After ensuring that all fuses in the car were good, my dad jumped the QX with his car and let it 'charge' for a good 5-10 minutes. Once the current battery got a full charge -- everything worked as its supposed to once again, navi, HVAC, windows et. al.

So, I started doing some research and really wanted a Bosch AGM S6 battery for the car, but I for the life of me couldn't find one for sale in the United States. So I started doing a little research, and decided on a DieHard 38188 Advanced Gold AGM Battery. Price delivered after shipping and tax came to $202 via Amazon.

I'll update everyone once its in the car.

More updates coming.

Last edited by Gatriel; 06-20-2018 at 04:34 AM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
*UPDATE*

So due to the soaked carpet on both the pass and driver's sides -- we decided to remove both front seats to better access what we are working with.

First, the seats overall seem to be in pretty good condition and they all work, they are however very dirty.

I think the plan of attack for the seats is a high-heat steam cleaner, coupled with a few leather car-care products, finished with a leather rejuvenator by leatherique.

However, the carpet is trashed:

While I could make the carpet look much better than it is, the mold will be almost impossible to remove from it and I don't think we'd ever get all the glass out of the carpet. That being said, I think the best course of action here is to replace the carpet with a new one, from Infiniti ... only costs $380 or so from what I've seen online.

When I go to replace the roof there will be metal shavings all over the place stemming from drilling out the spot welds holding the panel in place, and I'll need the room inside the car to work around. The currently plan it to leave the carpet in the car to catch all this crap, then once the roof swap is complete take the carpet out and swap it as part of the final reassembly. Additionally, I'll need to ensure there are no leaks after I put the roof on, and that'll involve a water hose and a few thousand gallons of water. Last thing I would want would be to replace the carpet just to get it soaked the next day.

However, we don't want soggy carpet in the car for the next few months growing things and having mold spores going everywhere. Thus, we've got the carpet drying out as we speak. :-D

More updates to come ...
MarengoMac likes this.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
*UPDATE*

So today has been fairly productive, the junk yard in Illinois got the top cut cut off the donor vehicle, it'll get wrapped up tomorrow and I'll get shipping setup thereafter.

Back on the home front, we're still drying out the interior:

And we're letting other components/parts/stuff I might reuse dry out/disinfect themselves in the sun:

I think I'm having some luck tracking down a second-hand headliner, but that we'll have to wait and see on.

Schöne Grüße aus Deutschland
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
EDIT -

Wrecking yard just got back with me -- its boxed up ready to go:

Admin, whats the deal with 10 minute edit limitation?

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Wow. You have brass balls and a lot of time. I would never try to do this, no way in **** it would come out well with me trying it. I'll be following the progress.

P.S. It looks like you're missing the running boards. Without seeing the trunk I can't tell whether you're also missing the cargo package with the cargo net and first aid kit. And the cargo area carpet. Do you have the illuminated door sills? Didn't seem them in your pics. I think besides what you've already got, that's what I have on mine that you may be missing.

2014 Infiniti QX60 AWD (every available feature except tow package)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Ford Escape Titanium
2014 Toyota Camry SE
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
That’s one heckuva project! I’d love to take on a project vehicle sometime, but maybe not this extensive! Haha

Jason
Cottage Grove, MN
2015 QX60 AWD - Obsidian Black, Graphite - Prem, Prem+
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoEsq View Post
Wow. You have brass balls and a lot of time. I would never try to do this, no way in **** it would come out well with me trying it. I'll be following the progress.

P.S. It looks like you're missing the running boards. Without seeing the trunk I can't tell whether you're also missing the cargo package with the cargo net and first aid kit. And the cargo area carpet. Do you have the illuminated door sills? Didn't seem them in your pics. I think besides what you've already got, that's what I have on mine that you may be missing.
Hey,

I am fairly confident I am in-fact missing running boards. I'm not sure about the illuminated door sills either, the running board I could retrofit along with the trailer hitch when I get to the U.S., the illuminated door sills, while cool will stay closer to the bottom of the priority list.

Cargo kit IS something I need to get and to get the vehicle to pass the German safety inspection I most definitely need a first aid kid in the car. I'll get these items ordered later in the process cycle.

Yeah its a big project, but its something that is most definitely doable. If you're curious how a project like this works from start to finish, for people such as myself without any previous body work experience -- I found these videos super helpful.

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/m3AyCXISNSs

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/Ts2oLvkkSRA

Part 3:

https://youtu.be/UtM0uiWkjpM

Part 4:

https://youtu.be/ea5mNId_HrQ

Part 5:

https://youtu.be/bmEbL6tSymw

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioguyJ View Post
That’s one heckuva project! I’d love to take on a project vehicle sometime, but maybe not this extensive! Haha
Yeah -- I mean this *IS* a mountain of work, but its also manageable and the cost savings are massive. If you want a smaller project they are available too.

When I get done with this -- a Lexus CT200h project might be next. IDK

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
*UPDATE*

Hey everyone, so the top clip finally arrived in Atlanta. Now I'm just waiting on my tax return to fly over to the US, buy tools necessary and get this party started.