User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question QX60 CVT reliability

Hello my wife and I are looking at getting a 2018 qx60 but found a link last night about CVT's may not be the most reliable and consumer reports does not give the QX60 high marks in reliability. As I keep my cars for a long time I want to make sure that I get one that is going to last through normal everyday driving. My concerns have me looking at Lexus even though I really like the QX60. Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
The only year there were any real issues with the CVT was 2013 when the car was first released. The 15+ models have been great. I have six friends driving QX60's and I love selling the car.

++++++++

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Consumer reports doesn't like the Infiniti infotainment system. They think it's too complicated, and reduced the overall "reliability" of the vehicle as a result. The JX35 had an old-gen tranny that worked well. The 1st year QX60 had a new-gen tranny that had problems (search this forum), but those problems have since been worked out.

If you like the vehicle, then get it. Mine has 100K, and I'm still enjoying it. I picked Infiniti over the German brands (quality concerns), didn't like the Acura offering, and Lexus didn't have anything that didn't look strange.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:59 PM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I had one of the first JX35s and the transmission was excellent. I traded it in at 56K trouble free miles. I have the 2016 QX60 and at 22K miles, it is excellent. Love the smooth ride and the car has plenty of power. The 2017 and 2018 have more horse power than the previous versions. I haven't heard any complaints from our forum members on the newer years.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
After 2 years I have had no issues with my 2015. Just oil and a cabin filter.

The CVT just glides along in city driving with no gear changing effect. When you hit the freeway on ramp and punch it the engine revs and the software simulates the gear changing jerks of an automatic. The CVT is different but kind of cool.
gmuney1 likes this.

2015 QX60 AWD Hermosa Blue/Graphite/Maple, Premium, Premium Plus & Deluxe Touring
Old 01-24-2018, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have no issues with 2015 QX60 even towing a heavy boat about 4000lb it handles well for this vehicle size.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2017 QX60 AWD with 42K miles, recently the temps in NYC dipped below 30 Degrees and when I start the car wait 5mins and drive out the CVT makes alot of grinding noise and when I let off the gas it shudders and when i give it gas the torque converter kicks/jerks. It also shudders when I make turns. Also the infotainment touch screen freezes often, have to turn car off and on again to get it working again. The shocks went bad at 30K but it’s NYC roads, so that’s to be expected. Taking the car into dealer tomorrow about the transmission issue.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have a 2014 QX60, approx 100k miles. It's in the shop right now for it's 3rd transmission. Transmission #2 lasted 22k miles. Not even a full year, yet still is not covered by their standard warranty because apparently while Ford offers 3 years/unlimited mileage on replacement transmissions, Infiniti gives you the lesser of 12 months or 12,000 miles. They seem to have no faith in their own parts.
Groggo likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
That sucks — time to get rid of it!
Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just recently bought a 2018 AWD base. Really like the smoothness of the CVT and overall ride. So far no issues. CVT is used in lot of cars. It seems mostly those designed for fuel economy.

In 2017, the engine HP was boosted 30 HP (from 265 to 295) by adding direct fuel injection. There was no reduction in fuel mileage. We get 24 ~ 25 MPG in 70/30 (city/Hwy) driving. Some articles I've read indicate that intake valves on direct injection systems tend to collect carbon, as they are not washed by fuel as they would be in a port injection engine. I'm not sure if Infiniti has done anything to help mitigate this.