10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Shark fin antenna installed

Got this on Amazon for $30

Ramble -Car Shark Fin Antenna, SUV Aerials Modification, Auto Parts Accessories, Radio Signal Antennas for Nissan X Trail, Qashqai, Pathfinder, Rogue, Murano and Kicks (Advanced Style, Pearl White)

Fits and matches the paint! The reception is excellent as this had dual boards.

gmuney1, jonesy84 and QXist like this.

2015 QX60 - Majestic White & Wheat
Premium & Premium Plus

2017 Honda Accord Sport SE
San Marino Red & Black - 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got mine fixed too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4413.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	5683  
gmuney1 and jonesy84 like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
dang, those look really nice! Do they sell them in most all of the stock paint colors? I just noticed on my factory one that the back portion of it is not flush with my roofline. Is this normal? the front part of the antenna is flush, but the base of it looks flat, not curved with the roofline, so the result is that the front portion of the base is flush, but the back portion has a little gap under it. I have not yet been OCD enough to check out someone else's QX60 in a parking lot to compare, but figured since we were on the topic, I'd ask here too

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Are you referring to the base of the stick antenna? Because your car does not come with factory shark fin, so if you already have a shark fin, that's aftermarket and it could be installed wrong.

2014 Infiniti QX60 AWD (every available feature except tow package)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Ford Escape Titanium
2014 Toyota Camry SE
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoEsq View Post
Are you referring to the base of the stick antenna? Because your car does not come with factory shark fin, so if you already have a shark fin, that's aftermarket and it could be installed wrong.
Yes, it is the base of the stick antenna. The back portion is not flush with the roof line. Possibly this is just how they come, it just looked wrong once I looked at it closely. Didn't know if anyone else's was like that and could confirm that this is just how they come from the factory. There's no water leak around it, so presumably a good seal where it does attach. Just looks strange to have that little gap on the back portion rather than being seated nicely along the sloping roofline.

Can you copy a link for where you got yours? My paint is the pearl white also, so I assume the colors are a good match? Also, is there a youtube video on how to take the old one off and put the shark fin style on? Or is it really complicated, or fairly straightforward to swap out?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy84 View Post
Yes, it is the base of the stick antenna. The back portion is not flush with the roof line. Possibly this is just how they come, it just looked wrong once I looked at it closely. Didn't know if anyone else's was like that and could confirm that this is just how they come from the factory. There's no water leak around it, so presumably a good seal where it does attach. Just looks strange to have that little gap on the back portion rather than being seated nicely along the sloping roofline.

Can you copy a link for where you got yours? My paint is the pearl white also, so I assume the colors are a good match? Also, is there a youtube video on how to take the old one off and put the shark fin style on? Or is it really complicated, or fairly straightforward to swap out?

Premium & Premium Plus

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 PM

Is it hard to remove the factory antenna? is it hard to reattach the new one? or is it pretty straightforward? It looks like actually removing the factory one is the hardest part, then I imagine it to just be disconnecting a wire, reconnecting a wire, and using the 3m adhesive to attach it securely to the roof?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

You don't need a template. The cover snuggly goes over the existing base, you can easily eyeball it. It's a 10 min install, at the most.

Premium & Premium Plus

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4gLrqSonMk

You don't need a template. The cover snuggly goes over the existing base, you can easily eyeball it. It's a 10 min install, at the most.
awesome! Good to know! How do you get the factory stick antenna off? I haven't looked at it at all yet. Is there a screw on the top that holds it on? or do you unscrew it, or pull on it a certain direction?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post

I ended up ordering this one. Same color too, as mine is the pearl white. Unfortunately on Amazon it looks like I won't be able to get it until mid-May, which seems kinda odd. But there was a 5% e-coupon, so I at least saved $1.45 LOL but found several youtube videos on how to install these. I didn't realize they mounted directly to where the rubber stick screws into the housing. I thought I was going to have to remove the whole base housing HA!! This will be much simpler to do than I thought. I feel silly now asking all those other questions LOL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page