2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Moisture in Headlights

Has anyone been able to warranty a headlight for having excessive moisture inside of it? My 2014 QX60 has remainder of original warranty leftover and CPO wrap Elite Extended beyond that. My dealer has refused to replace the lights even though I'm there repeatedly to replace various bulbs within the headlight assembly. Infiniti North America says there isn't a TSB on my vehicle, so they can't help... At this point, it won't even pass State Inspection...

From my Brain to Yours...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Reality View Post
Has anyone been able to warranty a headlight for having excessive moisture inside of it? My 2014 QX60 has remainder of original warranty leftover and CPO wrap Elite Extended beyond that. My dealer has refused to replace the lights even though I'm there repeatedly to replace various bulbs within the headlight assembly. Infiniti North America says there isn't a TSB on my vehicle, so they can't help... At this point, it won't even pass State Inspection...

Why won’t they replace it? It’s a defective part if there’s moisture in it as it’s a sealed unit and should be covered under warranty. Have you tried another dealer?

2015 QX60 - Majestic White & Wheat
Premium & Premium Plus

2017 Honda Accord Sport SE
San Marino Red & Black - 6MT
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I took the vehicle in for regular service at the Infiniti dealer I purchased from. I noted the headlight issue and my service advisor said he called it into Infiniti's Warranty Claim hotline and inquired. I was told Infiniti denied the claim and I was given a quote for a new assembly and labor costs totaling over $3,000 for only one light. I was told nearly the entire front clip has to be removed to replace the assembly. I'm giving the service manager until the end of the day to work this **** out, but we will see.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE: My dealers service manager emailed me and let me know that he got the headlight covered under the Infiniti Goodwill Assistance program. I have yet to drop my QX60 off, but will continue updates throughout the process. The service manager did mention that the headlamp issue is no longer covered under warranty effective this year. I don't know the specifics on it but he said that infiniti changed their stance on the condensation issue.
gmuney1 likes this.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I constantly have to change 3 bulbs in the assembly on the driver's side. The 2 near the high beam and another behind the orange side marker. After being pulled over and cited last night for yet another blown bulb, I had enough and finally got Infiniti to handle this. They fought me for weeks prior to this incident but after I contacted the DMV for the improper equipment citation, I learned that a warrantied car sold in NC has to pass inspection. My car cannot with any light out in the headlight assembly. I made 3 attempts at repair, replacement or warranty with my dealer and in NC that's supposedly all it takes for Lemon Law proceedings. I let them know and they sent me an email saying, "Sir, we would like to extend Infiniti Goodwill Assistance to you and replace your headlight. We have one in stock and a loaner ready for you at your convenience." Presto Mother Fr's!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190325_154145_1553547466759.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	5645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190325_154136_1553547488808.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	5647  

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Lemon Law issue is highly intricate and one should rely on a professional for advice, as opposed to a guy like me that googled for a few hours...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Reality View Post
The Lemon Law issue is highly intricate and one should rely on a professional for advice, as opposed to a guy like me that googled for a few hours...
hahahaha!!! that part made me chuckle out loud, right there. but glad to hear they FINALLY took care of it for you. Somewhat disheartening to hear that it took that much effort on your part, though.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Just an FYI, there is a TSB on condensation in headlights:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...36638-9999.pdf
MarengoMac likes this.

Premium & Premium Plus

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Just an FYI, there is a TSB on condensation in headlights:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...36638-9999.pdf
This details the main headlight assembly. I wonder if the fog light assemblies are similarly 'vented' or not? I've got condensation in my driver's side fog light. Thought MAYBE the LED bulb I put in it was the culprit if it wasn't seated tightly. So I took it out, let the housing dry via fan blowing on it all night, then put the bulb back in. took it to get it washed the next morning, and lo and behold, a little moisture in the housing again after the wash. DEFINITELY had the bulb seated properly, zero doubt about that. I feel like there is a small crack on the exterior or somewhere around the edges facing the front. Can't think of any other reason moisture would so readily get in there. The service tech advised that I should put the stock bulbs (halogen) back in and then address it with them, as they would not likely do much if I had aftermarket bulbs in it.

So I have my first oil change scheduled for the 18th. In the meantime, I'll pull out the LED bulb, dry out the housing again, and put the factory bulbs in it again beforehand. Hopefully itll rain between now and then also and I can see if moisture in the housing occurs again. Then I'll know it's the housing and it came that way, rather than being an issue with the aftermarket bulbs (which I doubt since the passenger side has the same aftermarket LED bulb type, and there is no issue with moisture.

I'll post back on here late next week with the results of this
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 PM

Something to think about, the actual bulb base is the thing that seals the housing. Normally there’s a rubber o ring in the bulb base. If you have a cheap(er) bulb, the base may not be providing the necessary seal. What I recommend is putting the OE bulb back in and test for leaks. If it’s dry, you know it’s the bulb.

Premium & Premium Plus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page