• 1 Post By fushigi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Question Load capacity in cargo area?

So I was doing a small project at home which required me to transport 600 pounds of river rock in one trip and 800 pounds in a second trip, from Home Depot to my home. I didn't give it a second thought and loaded the bags in the cargo area. Car did go noticeably lower on the suspension, but I expected that. No creaks, no noises, no warnings, nothing. My friend, who is trained but not certified as a mechanic and works as a supervisor for GEICO saw the pics I sent him and he told me I was going to damage the suspension by doing that. It's done, I don't think I need to do it again. But any concerns? Is there an official load limit for the cargo area?

2014 Infiniti QX60 AWD (every available feature except tow package)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Ford Escape Titanium
2014 Toyota Camry SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Hah! I doubt you did any damage unless you drove it like you stole it.

If you're concerned, check the rear shocks. If you see oil leaks on the shocks, you damaged them. I doubt you'll find any.

++++++++

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothing so far. I drove carefully because I didn't want the bags of rocks banging around the cargo area. No speed bumps from Home Depot to my house and no potholes I couldn't avoid. Like I said, other than the car looking like I had put lowering springs, it drove fine and felt fine.

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk.

2014 Toyota Camry SE

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:04 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The manual for the 17QX60 says the total cargo load limit is 1400 pounds (640Kg). That's driver + all other occupants + inside cargo + (if equipped/in use) towing tongue weight.

Think about it; 2 x 250# occupants + 2 x 140# occupants + 3 x 100# occupants would not be out of the question for a 7 passenger vehicle. That's 1080 pounds + whatever luggage is coming along for the ride. Your 600-800 pounds + yourself is not an undue burden unless you also weigh 600 pounds.

Still, when hauling heavy cargo my suggestion is to try to place the bulk of the weight over & in front of the rear axle for the best support & weight distribution.

FWIW I'm doing a landscaping project right now and have made numerous trips for bags of sand & rock. Generally I've kept it to 9 bags / trip (probably 450-500 pounds + me) and with that the rear suspension hasn't been taxed at all.
gmuney1 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
thanks fushigi
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Last year my wife and I drove from the Tacoma metro area to Gardnerville Nevada to help our friends install hardwood and tile flooring. I loaded most of my tools, luggage and few Shelties and also used our cargo box. We were close to our maximum weight. The car handled very well and our fuel milage averaged 21 mpg. The 2,000 mile trip went flawless and we haven't noticed any problems since. The car is a work horse.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I posted this over 8 months ago. Car is still fine, so no damage was done by transporting all that weight. I've since transported other heavy and/or messy things. It's not quite a pick up truck, but it can take quite a bit, specially with all seats folded down.

2014 Toyota Camry SE
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Its hard to tell whats in here, but its a chop saw, router table, work table, nail guns and support equipment, hand tools, painting equipment and puppy pen. The middle seat is up and we had 6 Shelties all in harnesses. The cargo box was loaded with luggage and work cloths. A bit tight but the QX60 carried it all without a problem. The Shelties were a bit cranky by the end of the trip however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	5705  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page