User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
2017 QX60 vs 2017 MDX

Recently purchased a 2017 QX60 (P&P+)graphite/graphite, I traded a 2015 MDX-tech/awd. Because of owning the ‘15 I have a lot of seat time in 17-18 MDXs. Quickly I bought the ‘15 CPO in Nov-17, yes that’s right, I probably have 3.5 to 4 weeks in MDX advanced models in that time frame(let’s see a1/4 of my ownership in another car)The (P-P+) config compares most closely to the MDX-tech level. The advanced compares to the Q with driver assistance pkg. I will post my thoughts separately, my wife and I bought a’11G25x new and have had zero issues including the fact that it has only been to the dealer once(the day we picked out our newQ) in 129k miles. Because of that we stretched and bought the Q a program car 15k miles CPO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Acura MDX I bought the ‘15 because of reluctance to get a 16/17 due to transmission problems with the 9-speed, 15=6speed box.
Thoughts good package overall size is good except the cargo area is not very tall, it won’t hold my full size recycling bin behind the 2nd row. My 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe sport held it sideways
Interior-comfortable seats in front second row good for occasional adult use the cushion is to short for long distances and too flat, compared to the Q the MDX materials are CHEAP and substandard in all trim levels. There is a lot of plastic where ever your fingers fall. You can only get their good grade of leather in the advanced or higher levels and it doesn’t compare to the Q basic trim. Remember base MDX is vinyl, tech is leather/vinyl, advanced is better leather and vinyl. Infotainment center make sure you want to pull over to do things, heated seats two touches of the screen etc. Sound quality very poor by comparison the highest grade system is not even close to the Premium pkg Bose.
Second row access is easy as you would expect, third row is very tight to get in and the cushions are low. The Q second row is easy to access and comfortable materials are good and the seats adjust easily. Q third row is easy to access, the second row slides wayyyyy forward allowing even size 12’s to get in seats are comfortable and there is ample room for 6-adults in the car. The MDX has more storage available in the console but has a glove box 1/3 the size of the Q so a tie. The Q is quieter compared to any MDX trim level. In the Q I can open and close the tailgate from the drivers seat not in the MDX. I can’t make the Q mirrors fold in automatically when I lock the doors like the MDX does, I care very little about this anyway. Both cars will move the seat and steering wheel every time you enter/exit, don’t care either I shut it off. The MDX advanced has lane departure, intelligent cruise, blind spot etc, the tech doesn’t get all that stuff but does have blind spot, you can only get all of this on the Q with driver assistance pkg. All these things do is lessen your awareness of your surroundings anyway.
The mechanics
MDX 3.5ltr v6 9speed box, engine has decent power but it is handicapped by a transmission that is reluctant to choose a gear in a lot of instances. The 9-speed is not the smoothest transmission. The car is sure footed only restricted by the tires that it wears, and the 4wd is quite good in all but conditions you shouldn’t be in anyway. The ride can be loud and it will hobby/horse over rough or bumpy roads, not much rebound control.
The QX60 3.5ltr V6 CVT, also has decent power and torque, the CVT transmits the power very smoothly and doesn’t exhibit any of the hunting for a gear issues. Want more speed you’ve got it, no drama. The car is also surefooted and only restricted by the tires as well, the 4wd is good in all conditions as well. The ride is smooth, quiet and controlled no rocking or rolling.
Fuel Economy-these are not tiny eco-boxes but the Q averages about 3mpg more than the MDX in overall driving.
Both cars have attractive lease offers and the pricing is very close on the upper levels of trim.

Based on my seat time in both cars I bought a ‘17Q, I could have bought an MDX fairly close in price but I am glad I didn’t. We drive about 30-40k per year so I’ll post thoughts from time to time.
Regards,
Keith
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Small Things
Headlights
Acura-I believe they were the first major manufacturer to use LED’s, that said they are good low beam lights pretty much negating the need for fogs on the car. The cutoff at the top of the low beam pattern makes oncoming traffic flash you almost all the time. Low beam slight advantage to MDX, high beam not as good as low and fogs are barely discernible.
Infiniti-I had concerns about the headlights in this vehicle based on reviews I had read that had stated they were inferior. I find the low beams to actually be quite good, not as good as the Acura but you won’t have to worry about oncoming traffic constantly flashing you. The low beams are assisted by LED fog lights that actually make a difference on country roads filling in some voids in the low beam pattern. The high beams are equally good. Based on my exposure I would rate the MDX lights just slightly better, and that would be low beam only.
Based on limited time the QX60 seems to be more visible from the rear the LED taillights make a difference.
Neither car offers a rear facing fog light

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the detailed assessment, I have always wondered why in my area there are many more MDX’s. I suspect many people buy based on consumer report type rankings. Overall I am glad we went with the non-me-too Q especially after reading your observations.

2015 QX60 AWD Hermosa Blue/Graphite/Maple, Premium, Premium Plus & Deluxe Touring
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humvet View Post
Thanks for the detailed assessment, I have always wondered why in my area there are many more MDX’s. I suspect many people buy based on consumer report type rankings. Overall I am glad we went with the non-me-too Q especially after reading your observations.
Hope it treats you well, the biggest reason I see for them being popular is the incredibly low lease rates they offer here in the northeast they offer a base MDX at $299/month for 36 months if you don’t drive much you can get a nicely equipped model for $500-$600/month. Infiniti doesn’t offer a similar package, I drive far to much for a lease to be attractive.

One more small thing:
A friend mentioned that my QX60 doesn’t have paddle shifters, I told him the car doesn’t need them because it always knows what gear it should be in.
The MDX does have paddle shifters, they do help you pick a gear for the transmission. Draw back it will default to automatic in every mode except actual sport mode.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do your gas mileage by hand as our dash computer is off by more than 5 mpg. We couldn’t even get 400 miles on the Hwy on a tank of gas. Dash said we were getting 26 mpg but had to stop to get gas and when doing the mpg by hand was only getting 21 mpg. I was wondering why my wife was going through gas more than normal, so I know why. Dealer gave her some BS excuse so next time I’ll bring it in and have them relash the computer. Plus the navigation is at least 3-4 yrs old. My wife is so frustrated with navigation and Bluetooth, she just uses Waze and puts the phone on speaker. Not very happy with Inifinti if you can’t tell. Hope your experience will be better than ours.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppDawg View Post
Do your gas mileage by hand as our dash computer is off by more than 5 mpg. We couldn’t even get 400 miles on the Hwy on a tank of gas. Dash said we were getting 26 mpg but had to stop to get gas and when doing the mpg by hand was only getting 21 mpg. I was wondering why my wife was going through gas more than normal, so I know why. Dealer gave her some BS excuse so next time I’ll bring it in and have them relash the computer. Plus the navigation is at least 3-4 yrs old. My wife is so frustrated with navigation and Bluetooth, she just uses Waze and puts the phone on speaker. Not very happy with Inifinti if you can’t tell. Hope your experience will be better than ours.
Appreciate your thoughts when I next fill-up I’ll do the manual calculation and see where I’m at. Acura navigaton is no bargain either. I trust Waze completely as well as my Valentine one detector, my average miles driven over the last 4years is north of 40k so I need to know if there is any Smokey activity nearby. I’ve usually found that most in vehicle computers are off one way or the other. And gauges seldom let you actually use the reserve tank without flashing in multiple colors at you.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Appdawg you mention your wife uses Waze unless she has a iPhone that’s a plus model this mount for the cd slot works great for me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382220748376
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Minutiae:
I bought my '15 MDX in November '17 with about 30k miles on it. Not long after I got it home I realized that the previous owner never reset the trip odometer (any of them), so I had 30thousand miles of MPG reference, navi trails etc. Over their 3 years of ownership they averaged 16.2mpg with a one time high of 20mpg, navi told me most of the drives were city. The car came from Scarsdale,ny so real world mostly city mix there is an average. Crazy as some of you know always reset/scrub the memory of your devices, you never know what you will leave behind.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

So I’ve driven about 5k miles since purchase, over the last 3673miles I have averaged 23.4mpg so pretty good for a mix of more Highway than city. Very comfortable and secure in all circumstances, I really like the camera views it is very close to actual position of the car in all situations. 40# bags of mulch 30-no problem only restricted by the height of the luggage area, Hyundai Santa Fe sport=16, VW Jetta sportwagen=18, Volvo XC70=20. So good capacity. My wife and I would be considered tall, and we are able to collapse the 2nd row seats without moving the first row,couldn’t do that in the MDX. Best regards