User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BobOB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who Would Be Interested In An Electric QX60?

There are no concrete plans yet, but Infiniti is thinking about introducing an all-electric vehicle with the Chinese market in mind.

Currently, Infiniti offers nine models in China; five of them are SUVs, four sedans, six runs on gas, and the rest are hybrids. Taking into account that more than half of the offerings is SUV, it would make sense to come out with an EV in that segment. Also, China managed to beat U.S. to become the world's largest EV market last year.

Sure, their last EV concept was a sedan, but the automaker decided against producing it and instead focused on hybrids. Maybe in the future, Infiniti will try to come out with an electric SUV since the sedan didn’t pan out.

"When I think about EV, we design it for China definitely, even as the first market to launch," said Infiniti President Roland Krueger. "We are discussing this internally constantly what is the right timing for Infiniti to have such vehicles."

If they do decide to release an electric vehicle, Infiniti should be "very fast” in deploying a production model with parent Nissan and alliance partner Renault backing the manufacturer with their proven EV technology.

The QX60 is sold in both North America and China, if an electric variant is ever released in one market and it proves to be popular, then Infiniti may decide to release it globally. Of course this is all hypothetical, but would you be interested in an electric QX60?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
The issue with an EV still comes down to how far can one drive before you need to charge the battery. When traveling long distances it can be a real time consuming endeavor if you have to stop every 300 miles to charge the car. What if you can't find a charging station on your journey? Its the reason we didn't go with a Tesla.
ACG2 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would if it would rival a Tesla with range and supercharging. I would get a Model X now but too expensive.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Lead Moderator

I drove on the Tesla factory frontage road a week ago and was blown away at how large the operation has gotten and how much more they are going to expand the plant. Years ago when I was working at the fire station that responded to the former NUMMI (GM-Toyota) plant, I was amazed at the technology and how modern the plant was then. I can only imagine where Tesla is going with their massive addition they are making to the Fremont plant and also with their giga-battery plant in Reno. Its clear that electric vehicles will be in our future and with companies like Tesla leading the way, I'm hopeful companies like Nissan and Infiniti will follow suit. I think once battery charging stations are everywhere the electric vehicle is going to be more attractive. Hopefully the price will start coming down also.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Since we use the Q for long trips I would not be interested in an electric vehicle. A fuel cell or other technology I most likely would be interested in if the support structure was in place.

2015 QX60 AWD Hermosa Blue/Graphite/Maple, Premium, Premium Plus & Deluxe Touring
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Lead Moderator

I've noticed with the QX60 that if I'm using the cruise control I can usually hit 410 miles per tank and thats also with a loaded 16' Yakima Skybox and fully loaded car carrying 4 adults. The best I did with the JX was about 380 miles. At least I can cover close to 1200 miles in one day if I'm pushing it (makes for a long day, but at least now there is one Cracker Barrel along the way and plenty of Costco's for rest and fuel stops).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page