Infiniti QX60 Forum banner

QX60 vs Pathfinder: The Same Right?

40K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  KCQ 
#1 ·
I know they're different, but they're the same. Mechanically under their respective wardrobes the QX60 and the Pathfinder are identical. Ok fine, one subtle nuance, the QX60's VQV6 is tuned for an extra 5 hp and 8 lb-fts of torque, good god.

The mechanics may be the same but their applications differ, slightly. Both use the aforementioned VQV6 routed by a CVT gearbox and out through similar AWD systems. The Key difference is that Pathfinder allows drivers to select between 2WD, 4WD and Auto. While QX60 locks you into Auto.

Ok so now that's established, what does your extra cash garner?

Straight base MSRP shows QX60 starting at $42,450 while Pathfinder opens at $29,998. However an entry level Pathfinder is pallid in spades compared to the plush entry level package of the Infiniti. Perhaps its better to look at this from the context of a Pathfinder SL plus AWD at $37,698. The SL package narrows the gap and makes for a fairer comparison.

So thats a delta of ~$6,500. Pathfinder SL comes standard with heated front and second row seats while the heated second row is still an option on the QX60. Also included with the SL and available on the QX60 is a remote start system, handy for a polar vortex or two!

Where the Pathfinder begins to betray its price is in the styling department. Obviously this is a subjective metric but its plain to see that the QX60 is a much more svelte design. Flowing beltline, sculpted fenders and the unique D pillar kink all add up to a much sexier package. The interior is also one of these most plush in
class.

Where dichotomy really begins to peak through is looking at options available. Infiniti makes available a host or wizard gizmos like lane departure, brake assist, forward collision warning, back up accident prevention and an intelligent cruise control system. Tick off all those boxes and watch your price ratchet upwards by a cool $14,000.

Upgrading to the QX60 doens't just net you the right to spend more money, In my opinion the most significant difference between the two is warranty. See the Pathfinder offers you a standard warranty of three years, while powertrain is under warranty for five. QX60 meanwhile offers you a four year basic warranty and six years on the powertrain. That difference is nearly enough to justify the $6,500 difference.

I get it some of you are into the emotional experience of luxury, but some of you aren't. This is no way a negative spin on the QX60 or the Pathfinder, but simply an observation.

See less See more
#5 ·
Same here... when I drove the pathfinder first - it didn't seem as refined in the noise department and the door didn't shut with the same resounding thud that it does on an Infiniti.

The nanny features did make a difference for me not so much because I like to have them, but moreso because our family will be growing soon (planning on having kids) and its just nice to know those features are there if I or my wife ever get distracted... We plan on this being a long term vehicle so its nice to have as many features as possible.

My 06 M35x still puts a lot of luxury cars to shame in its technology and refined ride - therefore I am still keeping it for another few years :D

#6 ·
I don't really think that the QX60's interior looks that much nicer than the Pathfinder's. Both have near identical wood trims, the biggest difference I see is that the QX60 uses that wood trim on the passenger side dash where the Pathfinder does not. It's the exterior of the two cars that I think show more of a difference.

When it comes to options though the QX60 is offering more. I think most people deciding between the two just need to decide if those extra features are worth it. I imagine many people don't feel that they need all of the driver's assistance technologies.

#9 ·
The buttons on an Infiniti dash are much nicer to touch than the pathfinder... just look at the hazard lights button...
Also, the centre round button on an infiniti is a joystick while on the pathfinder, it is just a scroll wheel with buttons on it. (that is what my 06 Infiniti has...)

#8 ·
I started out calling the safety technology features "nanny" features. No longer. I've spoken with too many clients and other users who genuinely value them. Both the sense of safety, as well as the actual, real-life safety they get from the added features. We had a client who was distracted while driving. Car in front of her stopped suddenly. Forward collision warning didn't completely stop the car, but she'd have hit a whole lot harder without it (was going 40-50 on a local road). Another called me to tell me that the car had literally saved her a$$. She was backing out of an alley right into the street. Car beeped then applied brakes. Next instant a car went whizzing past her bumper with horn blazing.

Personally, I freakin love Intelligent Cruise Control and Blind Spot Warning.

#11 ·
exactly! No LED taillights or HIDs... even the Rogue comes with both and LED turn signals on the mirrors...

#14 · (Edited)
Hopefully Im not offending anyone but I just wanted to point out a lot of people are so fixed on the price and not the value... I just went to both Infinitusa.com and NissanUSA.com and I built both cars out loaded to loaded... Yes, the JX/QX60 is more from a purchase stand point but from a value I believe a lot of people are missing a variable here (resale)... Most car owners don't keep there car more then 3-6 years and if you take a lease on both the QX60 its actually cheaper... That paired with all the extra bells and advance safety features it almost becomes a no brainier...
Infinit and Nissan pay big bucks to have Economist to try and predict the resale values of both cars over time and by the looks of it the value is in the JX/QX60...

(QX60)(MSRP$ 58,395.0) $748/month vs. (Pathfinder)(MSRP $45,900.00) $788/month on a 39 month lease no money down and 12k/ year...

My sources
http://www.infinitiusa.com/buildyourinfiniti

http://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/modelLine/build/2014/PTH

Just my 2 cents...

#20 ·
There really is a difference between the two and I agree that the interior finishes and quality are nicer on the Infiniti. I could tell the difference just in the leather alone. We had a 2010 Armada Platinum with leather seats. They were already showing pretty good wear after the first year. The new Pathfinder seats remind me of the Armada. After 25,000 miles on the early model JX, they still look and feel like new.

I agree that anyone considering the Pathfinder really should test drive both Infiniti and Nissan models, and also compare the loaded model features. We use to buy base model cars because thats all we could afford, but now, we only buy fully loaded cars. We wait until we can afford it, and are so glad that we don't have to add features and accessories at a later date.

I do think that the fully loaded Pathfinder is a good value for what you get if budget is a consideration.

#21 ·
The Pathfinder is a bargain no doubt

I would only be concerned of CVT issues since browsing the Pathfinder forum it seems like many people are unhappy and trying to get Nissan to buyback the car.

On the JX and QX60 forums it doesnt seem like the same is happening.

Plus I really don't like how the headlights on the Pathfinder are halogen. It cost $1000+ to retrofit a xenon system into the Pathfinder. Though it would probably be a better one as the JX one is not that bright

#24 ·
I really wonder where the transmission dichotomy comes from. QX60 now uses the exact same chain driven CVT that has been causing fits in the Pathy. Could it have anything to do with how the two vehicles are mapped for power delivery? I'm really not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.