User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Daytime Running Lights

I would like to install after market daytime running lights on my 2014 QX60. Does anyone out there have a recommendation on which 'kit' to purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
a "kit" means that there's something made to bolt onto the car directly. Unfortunately there's nothing made for it. There are a few others that have installed Hella or PIAA LEDs on the bottom slot of the car. Just scan thru the threads, you can't miss it.

checkout iJDMTOY universal fit high power LED daytime running lights series
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm interested in this as well. One thing to note is that the bottom side slot of the bumper is angled, so I'm looking for something that has an angle (15 deg?) to it as well.

Here's a photoshop'd picture of how I plan for my recently-purchased QX60 to look on the front end... note the bottom center chrome trim. Of the second pic, I also photoshop'd running boards (which I plan on installing soon).

-TSK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Additions-Front-Gray.jpg
Views:	2596
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Additions.jpg
Views:	3291
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	769  

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Go to the infinitijxforum.com and do a search on this topic. I'd post the links but there are some many discussion items on this and several members have identified what parts you need, where they purchased them and also you should find pictures and the steps some members made to install them.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I bought a set of Philips Day Light Guide LED DRLs from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Philips LED DAYTIME RUNING LIGHTS Day Light Guide set. 12825WLEDX1: Automotive Amazon.com: Philips LED DAYTIME RUNING LIGHTS Day Light Guide set. 12825WLEDX1: Automotive

Here is a thread in which I posted pics of them as well as pics of all the LED bulbs I put in the car and where I got them, type etc.: http://www.infinitiqx60.org/forum/ne...sc-pics-2.html

The Philips LED DRLs I got are a bit pricey but I wanted a 'brand name' and ones that fit in that area with no cutting. You can mount them facing straight forward or flush and yes, like you said, they would angle a bit to the side. but since they are made to see from the sides as well as forward, i kind of liked them facing flush with the lip in that area and that's how I mounted mine.

As I said in the post in that thread, they don't look bright in the photos I posted but I can assure you they are when viewing them 'in person'. Also, I hooked them up so they do dim when the headlights are on which is why in the shots with the headlights on they look even dimmer, almost off. Again, it's just the photos I took where they appear like that, they are much much brighter when viewed with the naked eye. Perhaps I should get some night shots sometime...

2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid AWD - Obsidian Black with Graphite Leather - Fully loaded including the Theater Package

Last edited by Paradox; 04-19-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information, Paradox. As you suggested, I went to both the Amazon site and the QX60 thread. You do really nice work and I hope you won't mind answering the questions below based on you expertise with these DRLs:
  1. Is everything you need to install the lights included in the kit? If not, what additional items did you need?
  2. Does the kit contain detailed wiring instructions? If not, would you please explain to me how you did it? My wife would kill me if I 'smoked' her new vehicle!
RedHorde
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Lead Moderator

I'm still puzzled why Infiniti has DRLs on most newer models and on Canadian vehicles but none on the JX and QX here in the US. You would think they could provide a dealer installed option for those that don't have the skills to do it themselves. I am very impressed by the work some of our members have done. I know I'd never hear the end of it if I too "smoked" my JX.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

You mentioned the Canadian JX, Bob. Has anyone tried contacting a Canadian Infiniti dealer to see if OEM daytime running lights 'kits' for the JX/QX are available through that source?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Lead Moderator

I actually contacted a dealership in Ontario when I first purchased the JX and at that time they didn't have anything. I recently asked the salesman that I purchased the car from if their dealership has done a retrofit for a customer and he said no. I'll be checking in with the dealership when I bring it in for the next service. You would think it wouldn't be a big deal.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
The Canadian QX60/JX35 just uses the fog lamps for DRLs though, right? It's better then nothing I guess, but I'd still want LED DRLs as they just look cooler, lol.

Concerning the Philips kit I used, I ended up going to a place to install them in the end. It cost me $75 bucks and was worth it. Here's why:

I have the hybrid QX60 and because the engine goes on and off, the hookup was one step different but different enough to mess me up. It needed to be hooked up to a source in the fuse box that got power when the car was in acc/on and no power when turned off. I looked around the engine compartment and even with help from someone I just couldn't find it so gave up and forked over the small amount for someone else to do the whole job, lol. There went my Saturday project.

In a regular V6 model hookup is pretty straight forward if you ask me. You just have to hook it up wo the battery or a place in the engine compartment that has 12vdc. I think there are points under a black cover on the drivers side below where the wipers are in the engine compartment for this. It has, I think, a + on the black cover if I remember. The only other connection besides mounting the units is using the included 'tap' to tap into the wire going into the parking lamp. That will dim then when the lights are on and make them full bright when the lights are off. If you always want them full bright just don't connect that wire, but honestly, it's not cool to run DRLs full brightness at night as a courtesy to others IMO.

I don't have a link off hand but when I was researching them if you google their model number you can find links that have the instructions with the wiring diagrams on some sites, Philips included. If you want to look at them before buying, that's an option to research.

2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid AWD - Obsidian Black with Graphite Leather - Fully loaded including the Theater Package

Last edited by Paradox; 04-19-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page