Upgrading headlights to LED - Infiniti QX60 Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Upgrading headlights to LED

I am looking to do this. Been looking around for an installer who can do this, but havent found one yet.

In the meanwhile, I am looking at this kit on Ebay.

LowBeam
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Yellow...item43cdd83971

HighBeam
Headlight High Beam 9005 HB3 2000 LM High Power LED White 2 CREE XML2 Projector | eBay

Seems like a plug and play operation according to the seller (no ballast upgrade needed, apparently). Anyone here have experience with this?

I promise to post howto step by step pictures in return for sound advice from fellow DIY-ers. Scouts honor.

Thanks!

Last edited by sat24; 12-03-2015 at 04:54 PM.
sat24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I went for a 250 mile trip yesterday. It was pitch dark in some parts of the highway (I-5 closer to the Vancouver/Seattle border) and I found the QX60 headlights to be plenty bright on the highway. Low beam was filling the view (yellow light). Combining with the high beam, the entire highway was lit up with no visibility issues. I was travelling at 60-70 mph and had plenty of time to see what was in front of me.

One thing: the fog lamps do make a big difference in improving the light (duh).

I do wish the light falloff was a little further down than the stock settings. I was able to adjust that a bit with the in-built projector level adjuster. But once the falloff is far off, light output there suffers (at low beam). So I have that setting at 1-2.

At this point, I am happy with the OEM lights. The only thing that would be nice with LEDs are the whiter light. I think I can get that with HID 6000K Sylvanias (at a fairly high cost).

Of course, the LEDs would likely provide higher light output (as I would pick a kit that ensures that ), as can any aftermarket HID but personally I think the current light output is adequate for a safe drive on the highway. I will keep researching but not with the same hurry as before
sat24 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Thanks for your results. I agree that the dock lights are fine. I think a lot of complains arise from one of two classes:

1) people who had another brand of vehicle with "higher performance" lights or

2) people who want something whiter.

I wad in class 1 but have found while these are not as good as others, they are not unsafe. Just takes a bit of getting used to if coming from something higher performance.

I would also upgrade if there was something that was easy to do, but access to the lamps on this car is troublesome. One of my beefs, actually. Why manufacturers think I should have to disassemble the car to change a bulb baffles me.
bsnguy is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Aftermarket LED toss in bulbs still aren't up to enough lumens for safe driving, no matter what they 'claim'. Everyone can do as they will but for now HID is still the best way to go after halogen. Considering these cars already have HID, short of changing out the actual projector with one with better focusing and better bulbs, it is knid of a it is the way it is thing.

2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid AWD - Obsidian Black with Graphite Leather - Fully loaded including the Theater Package
Paradox is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
Thanks for your results. I agree that the dock lights are fine. I think a lot of complains arise from one of two classes:

1) people who had another brand of vehicle with "higher performance" lights or

2) people who want something whiter.

I wad in class 1 but have found while these are not as good as others, they are not unsafe. Just takes a bit of getting used to if coming from something higher performance.

I would also upgrade if there was something that was easy to do, but access to the lamps on this car is troublesome. One of my beefs, actually. Why manufacturers think I should have to disassemble the car to change a bulb baffles me.
I think the stock lights on the QX60 are awful. Not only compared to similarly priced vehicles (Q7 and Touareg - which I drive regularly), but even compared to my old 2011 G37x. Bulbs are the same as my old G so I think they really cheaped out on the QX60's projectors. While I agree with you that they are not unsafe, I find them to be barely better than a really good set of halogens (of course the xenons are whiter - I'm talking about perceived brightness).
Young04 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Agreed, the HIDs in this car suck but going LED for now still isn't the way to go, the drop in LED bulbs aren't ready for prime time. So unless one gets into changing out the physical projectors in the housing, there isn't a whole lot that can be one. LED is something that if it doesn't come with the car OEM, you really cant get em'. Talking headlights here...

I but better Phillips HID bulbs in mine and even though they are better than stock, they still suck IMO because of the sucky projectors in the housing and the bulbs still cost me something like ~$125 back when I did it after buying the car. I got them off the retrofit source.

2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid AWD - Obsidian Black with Graphite Leather - Fully loaded including the Theater Package
Paradox is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Agreed, the HIDs in this car suck but going LED for now still isn't the way to go, the drop in LED bulbs aren't ready for prime time. So unless one gets into changing out the physical projectors in the housing, there isn't a whole lot that can be one. LED is something that if it doesn't come with the car OEM, you really cant get em'. Talking headlights here...

I but better Phillips HID bulbs in mine and even though they are better than stock, they still suck IMO because of the sucky projectors in the housing and the bulbs still cost me something like ~$125 back when I did it after buying the car. I got them off the retrofit source.
Are the Philips HIDs brighter than stock? How much % would you say? thanks!
sat24 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
They are brighter and IMO a bit whiter but they are still poorly focused because of the stock projectors. Because of this, I'd say if one isn't willing to spend the money and have a place modify the whole assembly and put in better projectors, live with it the way it is. Again, just my opinion. Maybe when they do a refresh on the vehicle they'll put in better headlight assembly's with better projectors and if people want to they could just swap in the new assembly's (since headlights and taillights usually stay the same dimensions etc when refreshed) though they certainly won't be cheap.

My father has purchased my qx60 so new he has to deal with the headlights though, lol. I'm enjoying full high and low beam led's in my new 2016 xc90. Some of the best headlights I've ever experienced quite honestly.

2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid AWD - Obsidian Black with Graphite Leather - Fully loaded including the Theater Package
Paradox is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
They are brighter and IMO a bit whiter but they are still poorly focused because of the stock projectors. Because of this, I'd say if one isn't willing to spend the money and have a place modify the whole assembly and put in better projectors, live with it the way it is. Again, just my opinion. Maybe when they do a refresh on the vehicle they'll put in better headlight assembly's with better projectors and if people want to they could just swap in the new assembly's (since headlights and taillights usually stay the same dimensions etc when refreshed) though they certainly won't be cheap.

My father has purchased my qx60 so new he has to deal with the headlights though, lol. I'm enjoying full high and low beam led's in my new 2016 xc90. Some of the best headlights I've ever experienced quite honestly.

Good LEDs are a nice feature to have. Haven't experienced the XC90's headlights, but I've driven the new MDX which have very good lights. I recently rode in an Audi A6 with LEDs and they were great. Maybe it's an Infiniti thing, but I had a Q50 loaner once. Those LEDs were not so great.
Young04 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Good LEDs are a nice feature to have. Haven't experienced the XC90's headlights, but I've driven the new MDX which have very good lights. I recently rode in an Audi A6 with LEDs and they were great. Maybe it's an Infiniti thing, but I had a Q50 loaner once. Those LEDs were not so great.


I owned a 2010 Prius and a 2012 Prius Plug-in and both had LED headlights and even they were better than the HID headlights in the QX60. They did have halogen High Beams though, only the low beam was LED in them. In my new 2016 XC90 both high and low beam are LED and they are superb, even better than the LED headlights in the prior two I mentioned. I've never been in an Infiniti that had LED headlights so I can't comment there. Maybe Infiniti just focuses the beams differently than other manufacturers and it results in a less than pleasing light output onto the road? Shame you weren't pleased with the LED headlights in the Q50 though because if they were to carry them over to the QX60 mid cycle re-design.....

2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid AWD - Obsidian Black with Graphite Leather - Fully loaded including the Theater Package
Paradox is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome