2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Location: Federal Way, Washington about 20 miles south of Seattle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Factory Tow Reciever/ Hitch

I'm going to need a Tow package installed, but I find that the 4 hours of shop time charged by the Dealer is just crazy. The quote was close to $1200.00.....

$300.00+ for parts I can deal with, but I see about 1.5 hours (at most) worth of work.

Has anyone used a factory kit and trimmed down the rear bumper using a template.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 AM

I bought my 2015 QX60 at the end of July and also thought about installing the tow reciever/ hitch. I don't like the third party parts and would like to have the factory kit. I saw other discussions of the installation from Nissan dealer since the part might be the same as the on used in Pathfinder.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I would get a price from your local Nissan dealership. The cars are very similar.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwstrees View Post
I bought my 2015 QX60 at the end of July and also thought about installing the tow reciever/ hitch. I don't like the third party parts and would like to have the factory kit. I saw other discussions of the installation from Nissan dealer since the part might be the same as the on used in Pathfinder.
Not going to be the same parts. Different bumpers = different trim pieces.

OP: have you asked if they'd do it for a little less? Offer them $800-900 and see what they say.

++++++++

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I remembered that when I purchased my 2014 QX60, I had the option to get it installed by the dealership. Local dealership was willing to price match the online price for the parts (20% off at the time) but I asked for free installation but service department refused. They wanted $260 for the installation charge. There is some cutting of the bumper. In the end, I decided not to install the hitch.

So $260 is about the cost of labor for your reference. I think they quoted me a total about $650 if I wanted it installed before taking delivery of the vehicle.

Last edited by sj08054; 09-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Going to do it myself

Being an Aircraft mechanic and having the tools, I have decided to buy the parts and do it myself. I have downloaded the instruction guides and have read them. It seems fairly straight forward. Waiting on parts so I will post as I do it. It looks as if most the wiring harness is already installed but I'll find out more when it gets here.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
You'll be able to do it by yourself. Hard parts will be taking out the tray in the trunk area to put in the wiring harness. Plus be careful cutting the lower bumper. The included trim piece will make up for some sloppiness, but follow the guide carefully.

++++++++

I'm a salesperson at an
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Tow Hitch

Well got all the parts delivered and I have started the task. You are correct Sinecure, I just finished the harness and I figured that it would be the most challenging. Pretty straight forward, and the instructions are very good. Took a little longer than an hour to install the bracket and harness, start to finish. It would have been nice if the factory sent the correct bolts, instead of self tapping sheet metal screws for the relay bracket. Quick trip to the local hardware store took care of that. Please use the right tool for the job. I have a couple of automotive interior panel tools to remove finish parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrong Hardware.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket area.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch apart.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished harness.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harness install.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2505  

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Love the pics, keep them coming.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Hitch Complete

Hitch install is complete. It took a couple more hours, so I would say about 3.5 hours total time. Instructions pretty good. Couple of things I would note. Follow install instructions and add following. Remove aft bolt to evap canister bracket and loosen fwd one so it hangs down. Helps for alignment of hitch bolt. Don't install finishing panel until hitch receiver is in. Then hook up harness to covered 7 pin and snap assembly into hitch. Then install finishing panel. Dremel tool was perfect for the trimming. Be careful not to go too deep on the top trim line, Styrofoam filler for bumper is behind the plastic. My assistant for the hitch install was the cardboard boxes the hitch and finish panel were shipped in. That added some time figuring out how to do it with one person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch template.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	2513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finish panel on.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	2521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch complete.jpg
Views:	864