1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Body Rust?

Folks,

had some really nice weather this weekend and it was time to wash off the road salt from the previous week. When I did, this time, I noticed two rust spots at the corner of the rear chrome trim where it meets the hatch body.
I've uploaded three photos. The first shows the location on the right. The next two are closeups of that spot and the one on the left corner, too.

I did clean the area, well, and it sure seems like rust. I "poked" at it with a rag-wrapped screwdriver to see if it was just dirt that would come off, but it did not. Never been in an accident and this car is just turning one year old in April. I expect this form Cadillac, but Infiniti?

I'm more curious if this is a common problem or not before I head to my dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-08 19.01.33.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1537   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-08 19.01.48.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1545   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-08 19.02.00.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1553  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That definitely isn't supposed to happen on a vehicle as new as this is, I would consider taking it back to the dealership. Getting them to replace the whole rear hatch is the best thing to do, rust is like cancer and might reappear years later if they just fix what's here.

Keep us posted on how things go
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
Folks,

had some really nice weather this weekend and it was time to wash off the road salt from the previous week. When I did, this time, I noticed two rust spots at the corner of the rear chrome trim where it meets the hatch body.
I've uploaded three photos. The first shows the location on the right. The next two are closeups of that spot and the one on the left corner, too.

I did clean the area, well, and it sure seems like rust. I "poked" at it with a rag-wrapped screwdriver to see if it was just dirt that would come off, but it did not. Never been in an accident and this car is just turning one year old in April. I expect this form Cadillac, but Infiniti?

I'm more curious if this is a common problem or not before I head to my dealer.
May I ask if you have rust proof and undercoat for the car? I just bought my QX60 for 1+ week. I am planning to bring it back to dealer for rust proof and undercoat. I am just wondering if the rust proof will help in this case.

I have my Toyota 4-Runner for 15 years, I only see a very tiny spot of rust that you have to look very carefully to find it. If Infiniti QX60 rusted in less than 1 year, that is definitely a concern. Please kindly share more details with us after your visit to the dealer.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
May I ask if you have rust proof and undercoat for the car? I just bought my QX60 for 1+ week. I am planning to bring it back to dealer for rust proof and undercoat. I am just wondering if the rust proof will help in this case.
I thought those were scams.

The QX60 has a 7 year/unlimited mile warranty against rust. They will fix the OP's car without question.

Rust after 1 year is typically related to a paint problem when applied at the factory. Take it back and get it fixed.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I'm going to take it in and, no, no need for added rust proofing. Can't believe they even still that garbage!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 PM

Yeller and bsnguy,

The Car sales man tried to sell me the rust proofing and undercoated. I didn't take the offer at that time. After a week or so, some of my friends are telling me that it is a good idea to have it. We live here in Canada and have a lot of salt on the road. Seriously, does rust proofing and undercoated really a scam? Anyone here has it for the QX60? If it is a scam, I will save a the $800 buck for something else.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeller and bsnguy,

The Car sales man tried to sell me the rust proofing and undercoated. I didn't take the offer at that time. After a week or so, some of my friends are telling me that it is a good idea to have it. We live here in Canada and have a lot of salt on the road. Seriously, does rust proofing and undercoated really a scam? Anyone here has it for the QX60? If it is a scam, I will save a the $800 buck for something else.
Do not let the dealer spray it. you should use Krown rust control. cost 120.00 for SUV. once you spray it for the first 3 years. you can spray it every other year. Rust spray make a big different. especially in Canada. I am in Toronto
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:58 PM

Hi TranCana,

Thanks for the response. You mean the dealer charged 6 times as much to do the same job as Krown? If so, I will definitely go with Krown.

bsnguy, sorry for hi-jacking your thread.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranCana View Post
Do not let the dealer spray it. you should use Krown rust control. cost 120.00 for SUV. once you spray it for the first 3 years. you can spray it every other year. Rust spray make a big different. especially in Canada. I am in Toronto
Quote:
Hi TranCana,

Thanks for the response. You mean the dealer charged 6 times as much to do the same job as Krown? If so, I will definitely go with Krown.

bsnguy, sorry for hi-jacking your thread.
Except the Krown guys will drill holes everywhere .. was ok with my 2003 Accord but was hesitant to do so on JX35
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
You get a 7 year unlimited mile warranty. I know salt beats the snot out of cars, but I doubt the "dealer-applied-spray" undercoating will last longer.

Why not save your money, and if it still bothers you after 6 years get the spray?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page