User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Rattles galore

My QX60 is almost two months old, about 2200 miles on it...does anyone else have an inordinate amount of rattles in their car? I have rattles coming from my upper dash, somewhere in between the front driver's side door and back driver's side door, somewhere near the driver's side second row seat and somewhere in the cargo area. They all come and go but the one from the cargo area is the most persistent. I haven't been able to identify the sources of any of them. I should add that I have two sources of unwanted noise in the cargo area - a rattle that seems to be coming from the middle to middle left and a creaking noise back from the right side. Some days, I just live with them, but other days, they can drive me up the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Did you try taking the vehicle to the dealer to have them diagnose?
For the cargo area - check the tool kit that's included under the little storage area where the subwoofer is. It's the under a black plastic cover which you just lift up - in my case the bag of tools for spare tire was not secure.
For the rattle in the second row, does it occur if someone is sitting there or only when the front seats are occupied?
I've found that the seatbelts in the second row depending on their position can move around on turns and bumps in road and they hit that rear pillar/column they hang from.
There's actually a little black plastic tab on each side in the second row to secure the seatbelt when not used.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgandbver View Post
Did you try taking the vehicle to the dealer to have them diagnose?
For the cargo area - check the tool kit that's included under the little storage area where the subwoofer is. It's the under a black plastic cover which you just lift up - in my case the bag of tools for spare tire was not secure.
For the rattle in the second row, does it occur if someone is sitting there or only when the front seats are occupied?
I've found that the seatbelts in the second row depending on their position can move around on turns and bumps in road and they hit that rear pillar/column they hang from.
There's actually a little black plastic tab on each side in the second row to secure the seatbelt when not used.
Thanks for the suggestions...I tinkered with the area under the subwoofer before. Will try again. As for the second row rattle, don't think it's the seatbelt. More towards the center seat...
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I'd bring it back to the service department and have one of their technicians take a road trip with you to pin point the noises. There is a technical bulletin out for the dash rattle that has been used by some of the early owners. I had a B post rattle which was quickly identified by our local dealer and they fixed it. I've got 24,000 miles on my JX and have very few weird noises. The only time I hear the dash rattle is on real bumpy roads, so I just live with it since its not really noticeable. Let us know what you find out about your issues.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOB View Post
I'd bring it back to the service department and have one of their technicians take a road trip with you to pin point the noises. There is a technical bulletin out for the dash rattle that has been used by some of the early owners. I had a B post rattle which was quickly identified by our local dealer and they fixed it. I've got 24,000 miles on my JX and have very few weird noises. The only time I hear the dash rattle is on real bumpy roads, so I just live with it since its not really noticeable. Let us know what you find out about your issues.
Thanks. Reluctant to bring it in because the rattles come and go and we know that the car won't make a peep when I bring it in. I'll likely wait until it becomes more persistent...
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
for rattles you usually take things apart and try to figure out where the noise is coming from

but since you have a brand new car

I'd let the dealer try first before trying to do it yourself
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverJX View Post
for rattles you usually take things apart and try to figure out where the noise is coming from

but since you have a brand new car

I'd let the dealer try first before trying to do it yourself
Yup.
Taking things apart will be better to do much later in the life of this vehicle.
It has warranty and is a brand new vehicle, better let the dealer deal with it, it's their job.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Lead Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Try finding a rough road near the dealership where you can replicate the rattles then have your dealer's service department send a technician with you on the same route so they can help isolate the noises. They have technical bullitens that adress the rattles.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a loud rattle in the rear that made the car sound like it was falling apart when going over bumpy surfaces. It took me a while to find it, including riding in the cargo area while my wife drove. The noise was coming from the plastic trim on the upper left (passenger side) of the tail gate - you can only see it when the tail gate is fully open. There is a couple plastic tongues projecting beyond where the trim fastens to the tailgate, and those apparently rub causing a loud vibrating noise -- amazing how much noise can come from such a small piece of plastic. A inserted a piece of cardboard and it stopped. Took it to the dealer and they replaced my cardboard with some black fuzzy tape which took care of it for a few weeks, and then the sound returned. So, I replaced my cardboard. Will take back to the dealer to have them fix it again.
Now need to also fix the dash rattle (see next post)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been fighting a dash noise for several months on my JX. I pinpointed it to the area around the radio. The noise occurs when on bumpy road, but doesn't occur when it is cold outside (below 30F). I can get it to stop if I press up on the dash below the radio selection buttons on the left side -- but the noise returns as soon as I release pressure. Sometimes it will go away if I press on the right side of the radio, but also returns when I release pressure. I tried inserting cardboard but that doesn't help. I mentioned it the dealer, and they said they had another JX that had same issue and they worked with Infiniti Corporate to solve it. I will be taking mine in when I have a chance, and hopefully they can fix it.

Last edited by Zig Zag; 12-16-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: grammer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page